MMC Dicamus (IDW Roadbuster)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Sep 8, 2014.

1. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there a way to tell what gets made at which factory, bc Ive heard the factory thing many times

• Like Like x 1
  2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    This is just based on my observation. Reformatted figures are generally made in the good factory, which makes sense since the line came out first and MMC probably already had a good/long relationship from back when they were doing the KM line. The factory just understands what MMC is trying to achieve. If I remember correctly, the other factory came online with the first run of Cynicus? And then it made OM products, followed by Jaegertron and his remold.

If you want to be really sure? IMHO it has to be Reformatted and one of the major use of the mold has to be a relatively major/popular character in the canon. So Hot Rod and Megatron would be good. Strika wasn't really a major character but her mold mate is Roadbuster so it's a good bet that she would be made in the good factory. Commotus was another good bet because he shares the mold with Impactor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    Y'know sometimes being happy with the purchase you expected to make from the off and enjoying the hell out of the finished product should be enough in this hobby.

I'm well aware this guy was only coming with "one gun." And was well aware of what the mold could and couldn't do thanks to Titanika being on deck first. I have boxes of guns and accessories from a lifetime of collecting this crap, Dicemus isn't going to be hurting for BFGs any time soon. It's the figure I wanted. Would it have been nice to have more stuff in the box? Yes, it always is. Was it or should it be a deal breaker? Nope.

Aside from the stupidly long delay to get him I'm pretty damn happy with this guy. He's better than FP Revolver who previously filled RB's shoes and this is in another frikking Galaxy when it comes to size, quality, articulation and anything else you care to quote if comparing Him to the Hasbro wreck. That's hardly settling "just because it's MMC." So the debate on what was and what wasn't so great on other figures can get in line too, they aren't anything to do with this.

But for the record: I own most things MMC have made, and most of what Maketoys have done and Striker Manny while a GREAT figure (and very good value by 3P standards) is by no means "better than anything MMC have done" - it's just different. It isn't better than Carnifex, and considering the vast difference between the two products that's an apples and oranges comparison too far, but comments like that tend to make me think the person making them either doesn't have much experience of what's being discussed or has just forgotten about Spartan, or the Ferals, or Hexatron or quite a few other examples that would put MMC and Maketoys an even match for each other.

It's with Contact Shot and Downbeat that Maketoys may end up with the Quality Crown if anything. Because those ARE stellar in terms of.....Just about anything anyone else is doing right now. But does that make Dicemus anything less than great? No.

So a good to Great Roadbuster and it's another Wrecker I can cross off the list. That's what matters here.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Chigimus

Chigimus Well-Known Member

Damn it! I thought I was gonna pass on this one and had been content with Generations Roadbuster for some time now as I wasn't too fond of FP's giant glove and blocky feet/legs. But seeing this comparison photo just sold me on him. I was willing to overlook the lankiness of Hasbro's version since he came with so many weapons and a good head sculpt, but the beefiness and taller height of Dicamus really is more appropriate for the character.

I'm assuming the peg holes are still 5mm so maybe I'll be able to use Hasbro's weapons on some of Dicamus's ports? Does anyone know for sure?

5. Paik4Life

Paik4Life Reviews

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Official video manual:

My review:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I just got myself an Spartan recently and while is a pretty good figure and one of the best things that MMC has done, is still not as good as Striker Manus. For one, is not as flexible since SM has better articulation as a whole. That's without mentioning that SM is actually taller than Spartan, almost reaching an Ultra-size and considering that SM is also cheaper that's quite the accomplishment.

My other experiences with MMC are... not as satisfying. I was incredibly disappointed by Salvia Prominon who is not as good as some people made me believe. I mean, they mentioned the terrible transformation but nothing was preparing me for the ATROCIOUS experience at handling her, not only by transforming her since she also has issues with posability due that her parts constantly clash with one another if you want to put her in a decent pose and she can't hold weapons adequately so they tend to fall. Cynicus is not much better than that, it looks really good but he has a quite fragile feel that makes me fear transforming him due that he might break and based on other people's experience, that will most likely be the case.

Hexatron has always looked terrible to me so I didn't even bother getting it, an overly-detailed mess who is out of place in any of my collections. Carnifex was pretty tempting, he would be the perfect representation of IDW Overlord if it wasn't for the little, insignificant detail that HE'S SO OUT OF SCALE that he just looks off in any display, Overlord should be maybe a little taller than Leader-class, not taller than a frikking Combiner.

That being said, I hope that MMC eventually does a Broadside since I want a Leader-size one to fit into my Wreckers collection.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  7. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I disagree about the fembots being that annoying. Of course that is your opinion, and depending on how you handle them, they *may* get a little fiddley, but not to the extent you're saying.

I do agree about Overlord though .... I wish wish wish he was a head or two smaller than what he is. He is clearly IDW based (structure, shapely) but they made him that tall to appease a broader crowd. Especially with the add-on that came out for him - now he's even more "G1" for them and he's properly in scale with StarSaber.

Very sad also that the Overlord thread seems to have evolved into more of a G1 thing with everyone and their dog posting pictures with him and his idiotic breast people cancer and syphilis, or whatever ridiculous Japanese G1 name they have.

• Like Like x 1
  8. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    And the phrase that applies is "in your opinion."

I have Striker, it's a good figure and I wouldn't argue about the value, but to me He's just one more take on a character that been done pretty close to death and not any more or less special than Alpha Pack, or that Planet X version of OP. They all have things I like and dislike. Striker is great for possibility, but He is incredibly stylised and is too skinny to be anything close to a definitive, couldn't make a better one OP. And the Alt is just a lazy, flump down into a fold and has wheels thing. He isn't that compatible with Spartan, who is heavier, far bulkier in construction and design and does the job for a totally different character. And does it well. I like!E them both, but really can't see a point of stacking one against the other in this thread. Otherwise I could just Trump them both with Warden. And what would be the point of that here?

And it's only my opinion. Which doesn't invalidate yours. And is NOTHING to do with Dicamus.

And Carny being OUT OF SCALE? Yikes, how long have we got? Is he out of scale with Roche's hulking great tower of sadism in Wreckers? Or the enormous G1 Toy? For everyone making thisuck there are a bunch of happy buyers that WANTED A BIG OVERLORD. End of.

And Dicamus is still a great figure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Completely untrue. The only figure MMC has ever made that was produced at the factory Jaegertron was, was Jaegertron and all of MMC's best, most popular figures were not made at the same factory.

10. Rakzo

News Credits:
    Well, duh. I was only answering to "my experience" if I remember correctly and I only brought it here because someone was questioning it.

Yep.

11. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    No duh. Your whole first paragraph didn't qualify your "better figure" statement in any way as being the humble opinion of one person, you worded it as fact that the figure you like is "better."

It's so easy around here to get confused around the two things. Isn't it. ;) 

12. Rakzo

News Credits:
    Jesus Christ:

There it is.

13. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally just wanted the extra gun because I think he looks better in alt mode with the two guns and I imagine Roadbuster with more weapons. I'm still getting it and it's still the best looking roadbuster to date.

I think it's funny to say that MMC is inferior to Maketoys because their line isn't as inexpensive or articulated as Striker Manus. It's one figure. MMC has made an entire line of figures that have been really good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    Two guns would've definitely been better value for money, but I like the one-gun look on the vehicle mode, and the callback to the G1 toy that way. I kind of see Roadbuster as a commando who has a need for multiple types of weapons for multiple uses, so it wouldn't necessarily make sense for him to carry two of the same type of very large gun; he'd just carry more ammo. Instead, I would've liked (and would be up for an accessory pack) an assortment of weapons for him including:
    • short-bladed knife
    • machete
    • semi-automatic
    • pistol
    • grenades/mines

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rakzo

News Credits:
    That would be pretty nice. I hope if they do something like that they include something similar for Titanika.

16. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    If they're molding the parts, sure, why not? Though I see Strika as more of a general-type (think Rommel for Strika, Rambo for Roadbuster), so I don't know that character-wise I'd really see it fitting her. Plus Titanika has a lot fewer mounting points than Dicamus does.

17. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Dicamus definitely needs some kind of high powered big gun of some sorts, not too fond of him being stuck with basic rifles or small weapons in general. Rocket launcher, plasma canon, mini gun, anything that is appropriately heavy ordinance would be best to start with. Titanika needs an axe or some kind of polearm, maybe a shield. A shotgun perhaps for a ranged weapon. Maybe some kind of underslung super gun of some kind.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chaoticon

Chaoticon Well-Known Member

Agree. But more importantly they are very different companies that serve different purposes. If I want IDW I would go with MMC.

19. Rakzo

News Credits:
    Yeah! Although I would go with a mace instead of an axe, I think it would suit her better.

20. Chaoticon

Chaoticon Well-Known Member

Weapon packs might be a good idea. I think they would sell well. Have one pack for the autobots and one for decepticons