MMC Dicamus (IDW Roadbuster)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Sep 8, 2014.

1. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone paid $300 for Kultur?

2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I got the timing perfectly (I was really lucky). I listed it in the very short period when the first run sold out and the second run hadn't been announced.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn man, that's one helluva profit right there.:eek: 

4. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    How else am I going to afford MMC's products? :)  But then again MMC has cheated me once with Jaegertron so the profit goes to offset that purchase. I'll never be able to live down that POS. It's funny. I am willing to sell off a good quality piece for a super high price, but I won't even sell Jaegertron to my enemy. It's that bad.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  5. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely want more weapons and am disappointed they didn't include the extra gun. Not sure I want to spend $20-30 on a weapons pack though unless it was really cool like the Striker Noir pack.

6. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What was so bad on Jaegetron? I never got him but I'm planning on getting the Cyclonus version.

7. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For those asking for a weapons pack, I would assume that if the figure sells well, they'll likely consider it. Maybe someone can make a poll, that way MMC can view it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    The finish on the plastic is terrible. The shoulders don't quite lock together, instead they are on this flexible plastic piece that basically "locks" to the torso through friction and even then it doesn't quite lock properly. The shoulder articulation is limited in certain configuration. The alt mode doesn't quite peg properly either.

I would suggest RUNNING from this mould. It's obvious that the mould didn't do well so MMC is trying to offset some costs by doing more iteration.

MMC = The Hasbro of 3rd Party. Repaints, remoulds, all at higher prices.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That stinks, hopefully they can make some tweaks to Cyclonus to make it lock in better.

Is MMC any worse at doing repaints than anyone else? Seems like they do 1 repaint for each figure and they might do a 3rd as a convention exclusive. That seems to be in line with most of the 3rd parties. I don't think any of these companies can make enough money to only use a mold once unless it's a really popular character.

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, not expecting multiple uses out of a mold isn't really realistic. Fanstoys can get away with it due to higher production runs if I remember correctly.

11. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    The companies all do remolds/repaints (such as Striker Manus/Striker Noir), otherwise it's probably a relatively financially unviable business model. My gut feeling (without having looked at numbers) is that what MMC does more than other third-party companies is create mutliple-character molds, instead of straight recolors (or simple head swaps). And they've been doing this since Feral Rex. (Or Hexatron, depending on how much was actually remolded for Grandus.)

On one hand, it's cool because they often use the shared molds to produce some pretty obscure characters that we might not otherwise get; on the other, it means that some characters you don't really associate together now look similar, and some idiosyncrasies are sacrificed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm so confused right now. Since when are recolors and remolds existing something that warrants being so frustrated about. No one is forcing you to buy anything, why are you acting like they are? Why are you claiming mmc over does this and is "the 3p of hasbro" when they average 2 to 3 uses of any given mold? Hasbro averages around 5-20, not even comparable there. Lots of third parties re-use molds all the time, this is a staple of the toy making industry at large and has been a consistency in this hobby for over 30 years. The alternative isn't getting more unique molds dood, the alternative is getting nothing. Literally either things are done this way or they aren't done at all, that's how it works.

You seem to be misunderstanding a great deal about the basic process of toy production Divine. I'm just saying it's a little odd to get worked up over such a... standard thing for this particular hobby.

And Boreas was planned not long after Jaegertrons initial reveal over two years ago. Again, if you don't like him why not just ignore him?

I don't understand this entire mentality you've constructed here. MMC makes things they want to make, some of which you don't want and you're... bitter and hateful towards them because they are trying to run a business in the same exact way every other company does? what? why? again, so confused about the logic behind all your complaints here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    @divinecomedy

Why dd you sell off Kultur? I am considering eventually getting a repaint of it, or exclusive version if one is ever made, like that april fool red one. Anything wrong with it?

14. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Jesus, he seemed interesting but thank God I never bit the bullet.

Striker Manus is much better than anything that MMC has produced though in my experience.

And he is cheaper to boot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kultur is awesome and I highly recommend him. Mold is solid, has a lot of paint, and looks great on a shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  16. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    That's cool, but my point is that it has a repaint, and I randomly chose that example off the top of my head.

17. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Well, i have Striker Manus (80$) and it does beat anything MMC has done in terms of value for the money, no question about it.

That said, i also have MMC Commotus / Spartan (85$), and personally feel their plastic feels better / more solid figure / joints (not that Striker isnt, just in comparison). You shake them, nothing moves. Their feet stays stable, ie no flipping over, whilst my striker manus can flip if i am not careful / more harder to manipulate the feet joints.

I would say if that feet joint from Stiker was less articulation, more solid / easy posing like Commotus / Spartan, the figure would be better, but i still love the MMC ones better because of the solidity, though i would say all 3 are pretty much some of the best values for the buck, along with Quakeblast.

• Like Like x 1
  18. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    Nothing wrong with it quality wise. I just felt that I wasn't getting my money's worth. In fact I have the second run :)  I felt I've earned it after selling the first one off with such a good price because even after accounting for Jaegertron, I did have left over profit, so in practical terms I got Kultur for quite a bit less than 100 bucks.

Now though this might be just my specific copy but I feel there's a VERY slight drop off in QC for my second run Kultur. The finish seems a bit rougher, there's tiny scratches here and there, but joint toughness, tolerance etc are on par. I am very anal now about the finish on MMC figures after Jaegertron :( 

I have been and will always be an MMC supporter but that does not mean I will go willy nilly into their products. Is paying 112 for Kultur expensive? Probably not if you are a fan of the character. I am a fan, but I am also a person who has the the ability to delay my toy consumption needs i.e. I am perfectly happy waiting for a better version of something down the line or sell off something for a higher price and get it back at a cheaper price later down the line, which is why I am still sitting on a copy of unopened MP 36 :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For my lately, MMC/ Ocular Max has been so hit or miss I no longer pre order their products I prefer to wait for reviews. I had Jaegertron and Anibus, both figures were awful, cynicus is great but I've had him break on me. And Backdraft shipped to me with no accessories or anything, and the same for Terraegis. Terraegis also had a peg or something in his leg transformation that is easy to break off. But then I have Kultur, Carnifex, and Spartan which are some of my favorite figures

• Like Like x 1
  20. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    I think here's the explanation. It does not matter how many factories MMC use. They only have ONE good factory. The way I understood it, all of the figures you mentioned to be hit or miss were produced at the other factory. I've mentioned it before. QC is an attitude, not a process. You can throw people at "QC" but if the workers don't believe in it, you'll get shit.

• Like Like x 1