MLP vs TFP

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Xaddion, Aug 19, 2011.

?

Which is the better show?

1. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

55 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. Transformers Prime

124 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Both shows are awesome

64 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Don't care....

34 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I'm not questioning the statement of MLP's supposed unoriginality, but Prime's. One man's homage is another man's plot stealing.

But I just found Prime to be so bland. Tons of the characters are just rehashes of better characters from other series, but just toned down, with only really Dreadwing standing out in terms of character (And he's dead now. Awesome :I).

2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well thats another thing. And the whole "its a reference" thing is a really bad way to cover up stealing ideas IMO.

3. doomiscool

doomiscool Decepticon Medium

News Credits:
    Actually, a lot of it's problems are cliches. They just love cliches, and while I'm not saying anyone is right here, the use of cliches runs through most shows and makes it look like they're ripping each other off.

All the ones you mentioned I've seen in many other shows before, and that is why it is cliche...because everyone uses them.

4. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    That adds even more to my point :p 

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime is ending after 3 seasons whilst FiM is going into a 4th season and is about to launch a spinoff and possibly a TV movie as well. It would seem to be that FiM has had greater commercial success, making it the better show.

6. PrymeStriker

PrymeStriker Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't pay attention to the memes too much. I love MLP as a show, I love the voice work, and I love the animation. That being said, I feel same way toward Prime.

Both shows get my vote.

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What...? That is blatantly, and utterly wrong.

I respect your opinions up to this point. I would disagree fundamentally that the show is **NOT** about the plot, and that the focus is on the characters. It's a character driven anthology show, and so by default the plot is going to be rather barebones, there's no doubt about that. However, as I said again that was never the point. The point was that the show is centered around the characters and their interactions, not plot. The plot is merely a vehicle for their interaction and growth, not the spectacle itself. But my big beef with your post is this.

MLP Has shown more character development and continuity than Prime ever has, however. One literally has to be blind and deaf, completely, clinically blind and deaf, to not see character development and continuity in MLP:FIM. :crazy: 

I'm no rabid fan. At my age I don't value zealotry in any fandom, but what I do value is an unbiased, critical, rational, intelligent analysis. When I see bold, baseless statements such as that, it gets me more upset than a debate on which show is better. If I was saying this out of fan speculation on their character growth I wouldn't be posting this, but there is crystal clear writing examples that show not only growth, but character development coming back from even Season 1 through Season 3. You'd be hard pressed to find many examples of this in TF Prime. Sure, there's growth for a few characters, but they're largely side characters while the main cast has never really grown in any significant and valuable way.

8. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Prime is getting a possible sequel in 2014, MLP is episodic whilst prime isn't, thus prime will have to end sooner. That and there is another TF show on the air now. Not to mention prime is also getting a tv movie in the fall.
    That's like saying that Bay's movies were genius because they're one of the most successful films in box office history. I may love the films, but lets face it, they sucked big time.

9. PrymeStriker

Ebay:
    Is there a salute emoticon?

10. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Oh please, Rainbow dash is still full of herself, Fluttershy lets people walk all over her almost all the time still, In "Owl's Well that ends well, it's stated that spike has a fear of leaving twilight, yet in "Spike at your service", he easily left her.
    Applejack is supposedly the element of honesty, yet in spike at your service, she planned to trick spike into thinking he saved her life.
    Rarity barely gets any attention, and Pinkie gets less and less intelligent per season.
    Lol at MLP having more continuity than Prime, really hope thats a joke.

11. PrymeStriker

Ebay:
    That's her personality. :confused: 

After Twilight "gave" him "permission." And he still walked away crying. :rolleyes2 

12. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Maybe it's her personality, but you'd think that after 3 seasons she'd learn something.
    Touché in regards to spike, but yet you still have to explain applejack being dishonest.

13. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously? That's what stood out to you about that whole episode? Applejack being a damn dirty liar? Wow. Okay then, I'll explain it.

Applejack saves Spike's life.
    Spike, in return, vows to be her servant for life.
    Applejack doesn't want this, but Spike refuses to take "no" for an answer.
    Twilight, NOT AJ, comes up with the idea of tricking Spike into thinking he's saved AJ's life, thereby releasing him from his life debt.
    Spike winds up saving AJ's life for real, and AJ then comes clean and tells Spike the whole truth.

Yeah. What a horrible liar that Applejack is. And even if it had been Applejack that came up with the idea to trick Spike in the first place, it would still be to release him from servitude. So again, darn that Applejack for being such a caring friend.

14. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    You call that deep character development? -_-

15. PrymeStriker

Ebay:
    :peoples: 

Are you and I reading the same posts? Nobody said that particular situation was in-depth character development for Applejack. In fact, you're the one that brought it up in the first place, and asked us to explain it.

Learn what? Learn to change who she is? What happened to "be yourself?"

Yeah, she's arrogant. So what? She still cares about others. If she didn't, then in "Wonderbolt Academy," she would've hysterically laughed as her friends fell to their deaths. Or she would've joined the Shadowbolts and left her friends in the pilot.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    MUST....LOVE.....AND.....TOLER......ATE..........:sly: 

17. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    must.not.aknowledge.that.that.was.a.ponytroll.made.up.quote.used.for.trolling!

18. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Again, that's nothing deep. I constantly hear how MLP has "stellar storytelling", and deep compelling characters.

19. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because I love Transformers, I'm going with Prime.

20. PrymeStriker

Ebay:
    Oi vey...

Look, this is coming from someone who absolutely adores Prime. In terms of character development, MLP takes the cake. A "good" character must grow, learn and develop over time. Background to the character as well. Twilight Sparkle is the perfect example of that, who in the pilot couldn't give half a rat's ass about friendship. Over time, she learned the value and power of friendship. We learned about her past. How she became Celestia's "student." Where she's from. Her family members.

Rumblestorm, cramming trash about "AHHH! MLP does shit character development! Rainbow Dash doesn't learn anything, Pinkie Pie gets slower each season" doesn't matter. As much as we fans want to deny it, Twilight Sparkle is the main character. Not Rainbow Dash, or Pinkie Pie, or Rarity, etc.. They are supporting characters; they are here to give added dimension to Twilight by adding a relationship with her.

In other words, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Applejack do not need "deep" character development. The only one that needs it is Twilight, and they've done a damn good job of it.

Prime, on the other hand, does not do this. Starscream and Miko are probably the only characters who've really developed in the show so far. And even they haven't made "deep" development as you claim MLP needs to do. Prime is a wonderful blend of dropping characters and status quo, more so in the second season than ever.

If you want to complain about how much MLP fails at deep character development in relationship to Prime, I'd like a few examples of deep character development from the latter.

And all this from a debate about MLP's lack of originality? Please, if that's the problem, nothing is original anymore. Everyone does everything to death; in music, films, TV, etc. I've seen it all without being through it all. [​IMG]