Miyazaki's negative viewpoint on the Anime industry.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kaijuguy19, Sep 18, 2016.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    A year ago I came across a video that talks about Miyazaki's view on the anime industry today and he's not a fan of how it's doing right now.

He also mentions somewhere else that he despises on how most girls in anime especially young ones are sexualized. So what are your thoughts on this?

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    He's pretty much right.

3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    To be honest I don't agree with everything he says. While he's not wrong about some anime series being what he says they are not every modern anime is like this especially when the fact is that past decades have their share of poorly made anime that have those issues as well. Not to mention that the industry back then also did trends that lead to over saturation of a specific genre of anime like giant robots in the 70's and 80's. The fact that not every anime fan is a perverted sicko who has no idea of what realty is also true.

4. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Miyazaki should come back and show us how it's done again.

5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I don't really care as harsh as that sounds, I'm just going to sit here and enjoy the anime for what it is... entertainment.

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Kinda procrastinated this topic didn't you, OP.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i do not like the direction anime is going these days either. i miss the hand-drawn animation, the amazing intros, especially from the 80s, and early 90s. everything i loved about anime, is no longer there. the multiple dubbing/subbing companies, insuring competition between them, requiring them to put out higher quality stuff.

everything I loved about anime, that got me into anime to begin with, just isn't there anymore.

8. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    He's right and he's wrong. Sure a lot of anime is just trash out to make a quick buck (or yen as the case may be) trying to hawk yet more cards/toys/merchandise or push the next teeny bopper idol group from the junk J-pop conveyor belt. But there are still some anime that care about actual characterization and telling a story. It's just not a good idea to generalize given how broad the medium is.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I thought this interview was fake and he never said any of this.

Implying current anime is not hand-drawn? Because believe it or not, they still draw by hand.

Implying current animation doesn't have amazing intros? Because believe it or not, there are amazing intros here and there.

---

---

---

---

---
    TVアニメ『干物妹!うまるちゃん』ノンクレジットOP映像「かくしん的☆めたまるふぉ~ぜっ!」
    ---
    Gokukoku no Brynhildr (Brynhildr in the Darkness) - Opening 1 HD

10. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

When I first got into Manga and Anime in the early 90s Miyazaki was saying the same things then - he's been a constant critic of the industry for decades.

Just one guy's opinion (which I tend to agree with) which shouldn't really detract from fans enjoyment of the anime that they like. Opinions, we all have them.

11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    It's a video from year ago. And even if it was new, Miyazaki's been preaching this for some time.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    This is pretty much Miyazaki all around. He's been saying it for forever. Frankly he's not wrong, but he's not right either. That's the problem with overgeneralization. Personally I think Miyazaki is a bit overrated anyway so his opinion doesn't really matter much to me and it really shouldn't to others either. Like what you like, watch what you watch, and read what you read. Does it really matter if someone who's 'big in the industry' doesn't enjoy the same stuff you do?

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Miyazaki says anime has gone to crap. Tomino says anime has gone to crap. Anno says anime has gone to crap. And while they're not entirely wrong, it says something that each of the first two would cite the next in that list as an example.

14. David

David Here for a good time, not a long time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with him. But I could argue that all media has gotten lazy and just wants to copy itself to make a quick buck. From Movies, music, comic books, to toys. Originality is a rare breed.

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Gotten lazy? Media has always been that lazy. It's just that most of the cynical cookie-cutter cash-grab stuff gets lost from the public consciousness over time.

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

that all looks to be digital art to me. not only that, but it all looks rather generic. other than Jo-Jo, they all look like they could be animated by the same studio.

and "amazing" is incredibly objective. as i do not find any of those intros to be amazing. more or less, rather dull. none of that is anything near what we got in the 80's and 90s. it all looks generic, and clean. the music sounds generic, characters are rather generic in most animes these days.

i was NOT implying anything.

i was stating.

huge difference.

17. David

David Here for a good time, not a long time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I concede that media has always been lazy but media consumption is at an all time high, every hobby now has a million times more exposure then it used to(though the internet). So the crap floats to the top and stays longer then it used to. That in turn gives more people the opportunity to create, be it for the better or in most cases worst. I'm not necessarily blaming the artists, it's usually always the studios fault. They want quantity over quality.

18. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

But still "hand drawn". You don't press on a keypad to get a drawing, they still use pencils and papers to draw the animation frames. The only difference is they digitally modify and color them, but doesn't change the fact they are still "hand drawn". As for "all look like they could be animated by the same studio", that's because different studios hire the same animators, studios use the same character designer, or you never saw enough anime to tell them apart.

Disagree to agree.

Sating your opinion that is.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Not just them. You would likely hear the same thing from any Japanese animation director. Japan's animation industry is in about the same state as their video game industry.

20. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I agree with Miyazaki 100%. It's why I haven't been into most anime for years, save the Yamato redeux.