Mixing GP and FT Dinos

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by UncoBeefWang, Jun 24, 2023.

1. UncoBeefWang

UncoBeefWang Well-Known Member

I am looking to purchase a set of Dinos. However, there are things that I like about both sets, as well as dislikes. So, I plan to get a mix of the figures that I think are stronger. However, I want the set to still have some form of cohesion.

I know for a fact that I'm going to go for FT's Grimlock, though I don't know if I am going to use the regular version or chrome version. I am also leaning considerably towards the FT offering of Slag and the GP offering of Sludge, and can go either way for Swoop and Snarl.

If I go for regular FT08, I'll have three FT offerings and two GP ones, but if I go for the X versions, I'll get two FT and three GP. For each option, which GP version should I get: chrome or metallic?

Finally, do FT or GP Snarl's inner legs actually lock in anywhere? It feels like the dino head on both can just rotate out at any point.

2. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

20230624_163603.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  3. Turingmachine1975

Turingmachine1975 mostly kibble

If you’re gonna mix, I’d use GP’s Sludge and the rest FT.

But yeah . . . heresy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering stomp is probably the best of the FT Dino’s. Yeah, No.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

Sorry mate, the two sets really don't mix well at all. Like crabs and capybara, they just don't gel together.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Porkstew

Porkstew Well-Known Member

You talk as if it’s easy to track down a whole set of these Dinobots, especially the FT chromed versions.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ponzie

Ponzie CyberUp lab owner

Have you considered that FT and GP have different heights? I have FT Soar between GP Guttur and GP Grassor and I had to put a 3 cm plexi block to go up to a similar height.

IMG_4049.png
    plexi.png

8. Gaius Freeman

Gaius Freeman Well-Known Member

I only have GP, so take this with a grain of salt; however, it seems to me that there are a few specific problems with the idea one would need to be comfortable with to have success mixing the brands.

1) The general aesthetics are a little different. The FT offerings are not their most cartoon adherent offerings. There are more of, what the cartoon guys call, greebly bits than later FT figures, but not to the extent of the GP Dinobots. There are hoses, pipes, and circuitry all over the GP's. I haven't compared in hand, but I suspect there could be some minor clash there.

2) The GP's are larger than the FT's. This could work if there are specific characters you want larger than others, but you mentioned an FT Grimlock. That seems like one of the characters that should remain on the taller side for presence (another being Sludge, for my 2c) It might look a little goofy if your "head canon" is telling you one of your Dinobots is waiting for a growth spurt.

These are both subjective points that every person would have to weigh and decide for their own aesthetic preferences, but there they are.

• Like Like x 2
  9. UncoBeefWang

I may know a guy (or two). Chrome Grinder for anything less than a few of my innards is difficult, I'll give you that (pretty sure some the others are more expensive). I know exactly where to find Scoria, though.

As long as they fall within a certain range / order (it's pretty flexible for me), I'll be fine. As long as Grimlock, Snarl, and Slag are the three biggest ones.

I'm fine with the stylistic differences, but I do want them to share a similar colour. I want them to be homogenous, but not completely so.

why don't crabs and capybaras work together? :( 

10. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***FT Screwdriver Collector ONLY.!***

Who knew FT had a regular Dino set and a Chrome set lol:D . As far as I remember they only had the Reg,X,G2 and Diaclone.

EDiT: And just my :2c: 's but Mix matching the 2 sets is an eyesore as GP Dinos are painted a Dark gray while FT used bare gray plastics for their Dinos. But hey! It's your collection/money do as u please;) 

11. RebelM

RebelM Well-Known Member

What mode are you mainly displaying them in? I have my FT in robot and GP in Dino modes. This question may offer better advice because they may work mixed in 1 mode but not so much the other? Just a thought.

Also not sure how clued up you are, might be telling you to suck eggs so to speak, but FT Scoria is really small compared to FT's other Dinos, so maybe consider Cesium or GP Grassor if you want Slag abit bigger.

12. mantisfists

mantisfists Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The size difference between the two sets are pretty significant and, like everyone else is saying, the grey paint is very different on the two sets. Here's a couple comparison pics of Grimlock and Sludge to highlight that….
    IMG_8057.JPG
    Untitled.png

As you can see, the greys are different (Giga's are more glossy to FT's matte), the golds are different and the general aesthetics are different.

If you plan on going with FT's Grimlock for sure and are expecting him to be among the tallest Dinobots in your collection, you can't have ANY GP Dinos in your collection as even GP's Swoop might be taller than FT's Grimlock…..the rest definitely are.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ashpolt

Ashpolt Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I've got a mix of the two sets - Grimlock and Snarl are FT, the other 3 are Gigapower chrome - and to be honest, they look fine together. When I've had TF friends come over and see my collection, no-one's ever noticed that the dinobots are from two different sets.

BUT yeah the FT ones are a bit smaller than Gigapower, so if scale is important to you, mix and matching may not work.

14. DaptoDog

DaptoDog Well-Known Member

I did this with my FT X versions. Stomp X was ridiculously expensive so went the GP Chrome. Fits in pretty well in dino mode. I have a full set of regular FTs that I display in bot mode.

15. mcguffin spark

mcguffin spark Well-Known Member

Pig and elephant DNA just won’t splice! Haven’t you heard that song by Loverboy?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Red2

Red2 " ... and so the story goes ... "

Is this South Park?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Elton John!!"

• Like Like x 1
  17. mcguffin spark

mcguffin spark Well-Known Member

:D :D 

18. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

You're paying for them. You're displaying them into your collection thus you're the one who has to look at them every time. And you're the one who's going to appreciate them (or not).

So if you want to mix, you have every right to do so :D 

That said, as others have pointed out, there are several visual differences between GP and FT.

I were too mix, I wouldn't care about the difference in details. First because I like details and second the FT's likewise have details on them, albeit not to the same level. Neither would I care about the colour difference, because why should they all be exact the same colour? Furthermore, there are also colour differences between the regular FT releases, most notably the shade of gold.

A thing that could bug me is the design difference. Whereas FT have made efforts to reduce the dinomode kibble on the legs -- Sludge really is the only one with some, and that's recessed into the legs -- this is less the case with GP: Grimlock is kibble free, Slag has his tail on the back of his legs, Snarl the toy accurate front legs on the outside and Sludge likewise.

The biggest issue likely would be the size -- but then I have to admit that despite prefering the look of the GP on many levels, I never got them because I already found the FT Dinobots to be too big for my liking. There is quite a bit of size difference. That can work to you advantage, if for example you want certain characters to tower over others. But if not, then this can be problematic.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Callahan

Callahan Well-Known Member

Both sets are good, but imo mixing them would be like wearing two different shoes - but it's your call. The gigpower set is easier to find, the ft normal gang might be bit more taxing, the X version, good look hope your wallet is ready.

Personally I've got chrome gigapower but I like the ft ones too so I got the FT's g2 version (used the red swoop and just the normal stomp) bit of variation.

20. UncoBeefWang

I want the big three in robot mode, Swoop in pterodactyl mode, and Slag in either mode.

Wasn't there a point in time even regular Stomp was super ridiculously expensive?

Funnily enough, where I live, I can easily obtain all but one of the regular FT versions for cheap - I'm talking on par with their original prices. GP's are a little harder to find, and perhaps a little more expensive. The chrome FT versions are considerably more expensive (and harder to find), but that was to be expected.

(not posting the entire thing but addressing the points you made): I know that the chrome FT versions may not 100% line up GP's in terms of colour, but they are all at least some form of chrome.

The distribution / presence of leg kibble is really different between even just the FT Dinos: Grimlock has a cover, Swoop doesn't really need to hide anything, and Slag's legs are still quite smooth.

However, Sludge and Snarl's legs, although they technically tick all the checkboxes, are still parts of the dino that have been split in (and obviously so), and they don't really lock in anywhere. That's the main reason why I want to get GP Sludge, and am torn between FT and GP's Snarl.

On to your last part, although I previously said that I wanted a certain size "order", it really is quite lax.

• Like Like x 1