Missing Link C-01 and C-02 G1 Convoy (Optimus Prime) Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Zodiac1968340, Jul 30, 2023.

1. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sure. But Missing Link is specifically not what a Japanese kid wished they had as a kid but exactly what they had with modern amenities. If said Japanese kid didn't have Arcee, it's highly unlikely they would make one now for this line in particular. It's also why I doubt we will see Missing Link Roadbuster, Whirl, etc. as those never saw Japanese releases. I only expect molds that kids enjoyed in Japan, exclusively.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really don't think that's true. Otherwise a lot of people who collect these lines would stop at a couple of figures and a lot would skip main characters.

I doubt the average kid in Japan or elsewhere who collected Transformers had an Optimus Prime. I got mine around 1988, I think, and it wasn't typical to own one anywhere I lived. I saw a few Megatrons but I doubt a majority owned those either.

These lines couldn't survive if not for people building collections they didn't have as kids but wanted.

As best as I can estimate, about 1 in 10 80s kids who collected Transformers in any market would have had an Optimus as a child and about 2-3% of child buyers convert into adult collectors.

If you rigidly assumed that this line lived and died on Japanese collectors and only targeted people who owned the original as a child, I don't think you could hit a factory MOQ. I don't think you could hit a factory MOQ being charitable and multiplying my numbers several times over in the most favorable way where you assume Japan had more TF fans as a share of population, more adult collectors in the general population, and more kids who owned a Convoy.

It doesn't compute, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Doing unreleased prototypes does not match the current mission statement of the Missing Link line. Of course things can change in the future, this is Takara after all. But as things currently stand, they are exclusively doing original G1 toys the way you imagined them in your head as a kid (I.e. with modern articulation).

Same thing applies to toys that were never released in Japan during the original run. They fall outside of the scope of what Missing Link is about.

If you are referring to the Arcee prototype in the Generations Book, it’s unfortunately just 2 separate non-transforming models of the robot mode and a vehicle mode.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  4. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It doesn't matter if someone owned it or not. It matters if it was available to own. Basically, the mission seems to be to work through the Japanese toy catalog. So, non-retail prototype figures appear to fall out of that scope.

Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE an attempt at 1986 Unicron. But currently, that doesn't line up with the mission of giving collectors a chance to relive their experiences as children with modern amenities.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knowing how slowly they're rolling these out...they have to hit the most important figures. So.... Megatron Soundwave Starscream.

The Autobot Cars will require licences...

• Like Like x 1
  6. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Thanks to the RotB, Takara probably has licenses from Volkswagen, Peterbuilt and Porsche. With that in mind, I could see Jazz coming fairly quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a decent chance of Takara having licenses Hasbro doesn't from Tomika and ERTL. While a transforming robot will always require careful approvals, I suspect Takara has vehicle licenses that Hasbro doesn't.

And Hasbro's relative lack of presence in the Hot Wheels aisle contributes to the general theme of only getting licensed vehicles when tied to a film deal.

8. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I’d rather have the original Unicron toy than a Missing Link of it.

9. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Missing Link Wheelie

TFSource has officially shipped my missing link C-01. I can't wait to finally join the party

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Of course, I want to be a millionaire when I sell it too

11. Praxus

Praxus Photographer and CHUG Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Man, missing link? More like we’ve been missing peak! This figure is phenomenal. I can’t believe it took 40 years to give a G1 figure modern articulation but I’m glad they finally did it! What a way to celebrate this milestone!
    I highly recommend Missing-Link Optimus Prime, especially the toy deco one! The metallic paint over the detail sculpting and the heavy chrome really make him pop. The trailer is pretty fun to mess with and I love the articulation, so much range! The use of the ab crunch is fantastic! It’s extremely tight tho so be very careful with it. IMG_3548.jpeg IMG_3550.jpeg IMG_3553.jpeg IMG_3554.jpeg IMG_3555.jpeg IMG_3556.jpeg IMG_3557.jpeg IMG_3559.jpeg IMG_3560.jpeg IMG_3561.jpeg IMG_3562.jpeg IMG_3563.jpeg

• Like Like x 26
  12. Zodiac1968340

Zodiac1968340 Beast Wars fan

News Credits:
    0515.png

• Like Like x 13
  13. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Honestly While I have two Missing Link C-01, I can't want to see Mark's 25$ rendition. Especially with this art and the comment that it was his passion project....
    1000009326.png

• Like Like x 6
  14. Poe Ghostal

Poe Ghostal Star Seeker

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I originally bought both C-01 and C-02, as this was a concept I had been waiting for forever.

But I only just opened C-02. I had figured it would feel like C-01 except "less," owing to the lack of tampos and so forth. But oddly, it's not - the colors are great, and he really does give more of a cartoon vibe than C-01. He's going to become my desk fidget toy while C-01 lives on display at home.

• Like Like x 6
  15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I just wish they would go all the way and tampo the toy stickers on. The image seems to indicate just his standard animation deco but with the toy head and yellow eyes, which would be slightly disappointing.

16. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Well, we can't hold it to ML standards, those Tampos are better than anything we've seen so far in the mainline.

My bar for a Deluxe Optimus is does it deal with kibble well and is it fun to Transform?

We already know it's coming with his axe and gun..... Almost like Transformers ONE Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm sure Toyhax will offer up some toy decals. I guess he'll look officially toyetic at that point. LOL!

18. Flash1087

Flash1087 we all listen to D>E>A>T>H>M>E>T>A>L

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dang, Missing Link Convoy looks GREAT next to Retro Hot Rod, and now it only makes me want a Missing Link Hot Rod that much more :cry 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Overcracker

Overcracker Well-Known Member

Yeah. We need an articulated Hot Rod now.

Also, since these are almost certainly entirely new molds, they don't require the existence of G1 molds, to be made, in which case, I would think Missing Link Dinobots should be an obvious thing to make right? High demand on their own, and a good candidate for added articulation. Easy money for Takara Tomy.

Unless these are using parts of existing molds for some reason, which would be kind of weird.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yup, fully new molds. Dinos are definitely on the table.

• Like Like x 5