Missing Link Bee and Cliffjumper

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by animetal, Apr 26, 2024.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    There's not much to understand. Not everyone clinically separates the G1 toys and G1 cartoon designs into their own separate gospels. Back when G1 reversions weren't the given they are today, getting the G1 Bumblebee toy with a cartoon-accurate head was great because it better resembled the character. We did not have MPs and modern Generations (to say nothing of 3P) to recreate the cartoon almost exactly, so to many fans who grew up with G1 Bumblebee was both the cartoon and toy, so getting them combined together was only logical.

It's weird even having to explain that. Like, what's not to get? It's the G1 toy, but a little more like the cartoon you remember. Crossing over those two sources was practically the way G1 characters got updated until maybe Siege.

• Like Like x 13
  2. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Also, just hoping for nods to G1 within a mainline was also great. During the Unicron trilogy, it was an all new cast so getting someone that sort of looked like Wheeljack was cool. I realize that pendulum has swung all the way back and G1 fans have been getting a lot, but it’s also nice having Legacy to hit some other fan favorites. I think I got off track… haha

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    It’s been a little difficult, but I’ve resisted the urge to jump on the ML train thus far.

I totally get the charm and am happy for those that are invigorated (or reinvigorated) for the hobby by this line, but I’m happy to watch from the sidelines.

Of course, Inferno/Grapple + Hoist & Red Alert might be tricky to pass up, as would Soundwave, but, much like Malware said, I have solid (if not amazing) representations of each of those characters now thanks to MP, and I can’t recall ever wishing for more articulated versions of the G1 toys, so I’d just be buying ML for the sake of buying and FOMO has cost me enough over the years as it is. :lol 

If this kind of line had come out before MP then this might have been a different story for me.

What a wonderful time to be a TF collector, so much variety and numerous ways to scratch different itches!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are right as per many fans who grew up with G1 Bumblebee was both the cartoon and toy. Since TakaraTomy is able to retool slightly to make Bumblebee more articulated, i feel that TakaraTomy should give us 2 Bumblebee faces. TakaraTomy should modify slightly to the head, so that the flatten face can be remove whereby we are able to interchange between 2 Bumblebee faces, one being toy accurate version and the other one being cartoon accurate version.

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd consider an ML Encore face Bumblebee

• Like Like x 6
  6. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I don't know if it's still the case in The West, but in the '90s, aughts, and maybe even the 2010s, the original fans (us old people) would go crazy for ANYTHING from the original Japanese run, even if we didn't know a single thing about the figure/character. We were buying Star Saber and Minerva bootlegs of dubious fidelity/quality solely because they were - from our POV - super rare, and so - in a way - new to us. People went apeshit over the Japanese reissues (and in Stepper's case, domestic reissues) of toys/characters we didn't ever get. Hell, I suspect that many of us were buying Beast Wars Neo and II figures that we hadn't seen in ANYTHING solely because it was something more. I suspect I know the reason why that has changed some in North America, but I was curious to hear any 'from-Japan' POVs to see if there was a similar phenomenon.

Fair enough. For whatever reason, I understand the opposite of "The Retro Collection": things like MP King Grimlock (and similar Marvel Comics takes) and MP-36+ and MP-44S. With the latter, they seem (to me) to do a better job of bridging the gap between the media model and the original toy's aesthetics, than just altering the face and adding a few minor paint apps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Midas

Midas All that glitters.

I'd be surprised if they didn't do that, he'd go well with ML Anime Convoy.
    I wonder if these figures have accounted for alt releases on the mold, like Encore face for Bee and Hubcap tooling for Cliffjumper.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Hoping it’s inevitable

• Like Like x 2
  9. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    I personally wouldn't. It would be like MP variant releases. Just pump out more characters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

They could always do both. New characters, as well as toon based repaints. I suspect the toon versions don’t have as large of a run as the toy versions since it sort of changes the intention of the line. It’s almost supplemental.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  11. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Sure they could. But as with MP line, that would cannibalize project time devoted to rolling out new ML characters.

12. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I’m willing to bet that project time has already been allocated when new characters are being decided. If you think they aren’t factoring repaints and remolds into any new figure, you’re mistaken. It’s not stealing time to develop new molds, and I don’t know where you would get that idea.

13. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe if they felt the need to do Hubcap, Bumblejumper, and Red Bee, I could see a toon faced version to even put the pairs. I just don't see alternate toon decos for every character especially if thry have a mold mate. The only alternate deco I would like to see would be the original Diaclone, like Wheeljack and Malboro

14. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Sure, it’s possible, maybe even likely that these won’t get toon decos. I think all of that stuff is decided at the beginning of the development phase though, as the majority of figures get some sort of repaint/retool these days to help offset costs. The fact that these are probably a smaller number than mainline being produced would make repaints a sure thing. Maybe they don’t think it’s worth it. Maybe we get them in each others colors as TTM exclusives? I just think any talk of this kind of thing is baked in at the very start, versus later going “oh why didn’t we do this with these two figures?” I suppose that new Black Ironhide makes a case against my argument.

15. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am suspecting G1 Wheeljack mold has been badly damage or even lost somewhere, or else we would have see a release of G1 Wheeljack back then in the Transformers Collection Book Style Reissue series, e-HOBBY G1 packaging series and Encore series.

16. conleyh2006

conleyh2006 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Since they gave cliffjumper his huge Canon they should include bees toon head

• Like Like x 6
  17. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Money on the table not to do the anime head. TT's gonna do this. DC is but an example.

18. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Since they did a anime version of convoy, i can’t imagine they’d skip a cartoon bumblebee. I’m just surprised it wasn’t announced at the same time

• Like Like x 4
  19. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    I hope they release a cartoon version. Fingers crossed. But because they didn't announce it, I'm scared that they won't.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bubblegunner

Bubblegunner -----< ̄ ▽  ̄>-----

News Credits:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    • Like Like x 37