Missed opportunity (Toyline)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Scorpio, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So its a fairly unanimous agreement that the general consensus is that most the current AOE toyline is a bit disappointing - but is it just me or did they miss out on potentially one of the best series of toys yet. Role Play weapons based off Lockdown's arsenal of weapons seen in the movie.

[​IMG]

The Cybertronian sword believed to be the movie-verse version of the Star Saber is one of the most iconic pieces of Transformers weapons. So why hasn't Hasbro decided to market these as role play toys for the youngsters similar to TF;Armada's 'Star Saber' and 'Dark Star Saber'

[​IMG]

While the TF;AOE toyline contains such other role play toys as the Optimus and Bumblebee mask and the Bumblebee cannon - the lack of one of the more iconic weapons of TF;AOE seems like a massively missed opportunity in my mind - especially if the weapon is revealed to be the iconic Star Saber.

Let me know if you thoughts and whether you'd be interested in a TF;AOE role play Star Saber? :3

2. Megatronus209

Megatronus209 owner of the Hippy puppy!

News Credits:
    Pics aren't showing.

3. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

I would buy that, I would totally buy that!

4. Scorpio

News Credits:
    Not sure why that is and cant link to pics... mmh... :s

5. wrecker11

wrecker11 Wrecker

Lol they could make a face gun helmet.

6. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because of that shot, I just call Lockdown, Gunface. It'd be the funniest thing, though.

7. SoundJack

SoundJack Out & Proud Movie Fan

I'd consider getting that. I have noticed, tho, that none of OP's sword accessories look anything like what the CG model looks like. Though You'd think I'd come to accept that from the franchise. I have always been hopefully that the sword Marky Mark uses is the star saber, but I was also hoping that it would have been the big sword OP has used (and that the star saber at some point undergoes a size shift ala the Allspark) but I'm doubting that to be the case as time goes on and we get closer to the movie.

I don't find the AOE toyline to be a disappointment as a whole, I'm loving every figure I get. I'm only saddened that (and maybe this is just me and no one else shares this thought) we are strictly getting movie characters and no other expanded universe characters. What I loved about the first three movie toylines was that we got a look a characters in movie aesthetic even if they weren't in the movie at all. I'm still happy that we're getting movie characters (still hold hard feelings over US not getting Soundwave, Wheeljack and Leadfoot from DOTM due to, not the expanded universe character toys, but the crap ton obnoxious Bee repaints (and that's coming from a hardcore movie Bee fan)), and I'm still hopeful for a deluxe Stinger, but in general I am enjoying AOE

Dino sparkers and the Titans STILL puzzle the crap out of me tho..

8. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

that sword... is the best star saber I've ever seen... curse you Hasbro!!!!!!!!!!

9. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so.. the sword that wahlberg is running around and shooting with is the star saber?

10. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The AOE toyline is full of missed opportunities.

AOE is the perfect line to have the Cyberverse series since it has Dino-riders. But still, the Kre-O thing is making up for it.

I agree that there should be more Role-play items.

Kids like movie accurate stuff. Rainbow coloured Dinobots isn't going to cut it.

On more positive notes:
    Dinobots are good solid toys for the collectors. They have both movie and G1 aesthetics.
    They nailed Hound with his Voyager.
    One-step changers will gain popularity among kids. Easy to convert and movie accurate.

11. solusprime19

True, but in order for us to get more good toys, we need revenue, which they get from the kid appeal. The toys ain't going to appeal to children like Armada did. it is truly sad.

12. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    The 'Battle Command Optimus Prime' comes with two 'Star sabers'.

[​IMG]

Although it isn't Hasbro, If you really wanted a 'Star saber' then get this.

13. solusprime19

huh. didn't notice that. but you know we were talking RP, right?

14. Scorpio

News Credits:
    Rumoured to be - would make sense why it was on Lockdown's ship among a weapons locker of other rare or powerful weapons;

[​IMG]

Isn't that three due to the extended one he is holding? Pretty sure they probably scale to match the holder. Either way this is about the lack of RP weapons and the missed opportunity of having Mark Wahlberg's sword as an RP item (I believe their is a total of 3 for this line; Optimus's sword and shield and Bumblebee's cannon)

15. solusprime19

If Mark is holding the weapon, it is a really good reason to make an RP toy...