Mint In Box Collectors, What's The Logic?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by SurlyJ, Dec 15, 2012.

1. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm basing this off sales threads I've seen and countless eBay auctions that say things like "box was opened and toy removed once to make sure everything was there and then returned to box and left there". I see people say this all the time.

I understand MISB collecting, I do some myself for various toy lines. But to me the whole point is that the item is factory sealed and untouched by outside hands. That's the only way you can KNOW something is brand new. I can say "only taken out once and promptly returned to box" all I want, but one can never know if that toy spent its life in a box or under someone's dirty underwear.

Now I keep most boxes, and will return an item to its box if I am not displaying it or for purposes of reselling. Having a box in good condition still holds some value whether it is sealed or not.

So my question is, are these people just lying? Does anyone here buy toys, open them to look at them for a second and then put them back in the box and display them that way? If so, what's the point? It seems to defeat the purpose of both opening a toy AND keeping it in the box.

2. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

I feel much of those are exaggerations in hopes to inflate the price. Yeah there is QC, but really, I see no point in opening to inspect and put right back in the box.

3. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've heard of people opening certain figures just to take the batteries out and then putting them right back in the box.That's the only reason I could think of to open them if you plan on displaying them in the package.

4. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Resell value I guess, but it actually sorta annoys me when I talk to people about this and they automatically assume I buy all these figures just to turn a profit later

5. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suppose that makes some practical sense, except for that most f the times I see this it is for figures that have no batteries.

I bring it up because I've been looking for an original play arts FF7 Aerith and came across a bunch of auctions stating this opened and never out bull crap. I assume its all phooey to increase value, but asked cause I wondered if anyone really did this with their figures.

Not a fan of eBay liars and this seems like a tip off to people being full of shit.

6. sh002

sh002 Banned

I buy brand new most of the time. I hate descriptions that say only taken out once to check the contents or only transformed once. I prefer stuff that hasn't been touched or used. The possibilities are endless of where the figures could have really been before you buy them. Nasty.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So many toilets, so little time?

8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    i always buy brand new, if you didnt want the toy, well thats what friends and youtube are for, so dont buy it only to sell it again.
    ided never sell any of my stuff because i wanted it, and i keep my things exceedingly cleen, but if your gonna display it in box i guess it dosent matter, figures arent ment to be left in a box till you die, they need love :wink: 

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only time I accept the 'open once to check' condition is when there is no window to sight the toys. Based on personal experience, it is a necessary precaution.

One of buddies was cheated after buying a Nucleon Quest Optimus in HK. The seller assured that the toy was MISB. Guess what? After returning back to his country and deciding to open the toy a few years later, the Nucleon Quest Optimus turned out to be a regular Optimus. The seller did a switch-a-roo.

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Or worse, it does have batteries - and the seller didn't bother removing them!

I posted a thread here about eight months ago when someone tried to pull a fast one on me when I bought the GX-04 Grendizer (not knowing the King of Space box set was going to be reissued in a few months) that made this claim...yet some of the white plastic parts were yellowed. Now how does a white plastic toy get yellowed inside a box that lets in no light at all?

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The only time I did something like that was for Masterpiece Voltron. When I got him, the Black Lions head was danging around in the package, so I opened it up, only to find out it was broken. As such, I opened the other tray up with the blue and yellow lions to make sure those were not broken since I needed to send my BL away for a replacement.

Now I have a MISB Predaking, at least, as far as I know, it is MISB. One guy who was going to buy it on ebay pointed out that it looks like it is double taped because it had previously been opened. It is double taped, but it better not have been previously opened since I bought it from a seller in Japan back in 2006 for $200.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, I have bought toys at retail before and when I opened them up months or years later, they have yellowed.

Another example (albeit different) is I opened up a toy, looked at it just once under 10 mins, sealed it back and when I opened it up again 6 months later...only to discovered it had yellowed. It could be the materials used.

13. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    FYI, it's not just sunlight which triggers yellowing but also high temperatures and prolonged exposure to oxygen. Yellowing varies on the mixing and components used in the plastic. So the guy might not have been pulling a fast one, and you might need to apologize.

VC&G | Why Super Nintendos Lose Their Color: Plastic Discoloration in Classic Machines

This here's an interestng article on yellowing that you can read up on.

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
  15. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my particular situation, I need to graduate college and find a permanent residence that has room for me to display my TF's, so I do open any new TF's I get, inspect them, and stick them in my storage unit. My intention is to eventually keep them out of the box for good later. On the off chance that I lose interest in something, when I sell it, it was indeed only opened once to be inspected.

16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I hate people who do that "I opened it once to check it out" bit on eBay. Good job, idiot, you just ruined a MISB sample for no reason and turned it into one of a million boxed figures on eBay that aren't worth the MISB price tag slapped on them because they're "hard to find" with your head so far up your ass.

17. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To me there's no difference between a complete with box toy that's been transformed a few times, put on display and then returned by an adult(non-smoking) collector and one that's been inspected.

Some of you sound a bit weird with your OCD about people not touching any toys you get.

I mean I like to buy new to avoid the possibility of smoke/dog/perfume odors and damage but not bothered if someone has just touched it carefully.

And yes Yellowing effects things that have been kept in darkened rooms and sometimes even if they are on sealed cards. THERE IS NO ESCAPE.

I don't understand people who buy old toys MISB to keep in that condition. I can't stand it, I wanna open them and play around with them.

PS Chinese people touched all your toys.

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

19. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Well I don't understand why some people will pass up 25 million opened Optimus Primes out there to open up a rare MISB copy either. Why not spend a pile of silver quarters at the arcade too?

Not if the toy is old enough; then it might've been Japanese or, in rare instances, Americans.

20. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol. Shhhh. You'll scare the collectors. Denial is a friend.