Minor/Repaint: Minor YOTH Masterpiece Prime Touchups

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thebandwagon, Jul 11, 2014.

1. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

Along with my custom YOTH OP trailer, I touched up the Optimus figure in a couple of places.

I added the gold to the vents on the "ears," the vents on the undersides of his arms and his backpack, and the smaller grill part on the chest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added some outlining to the smaller grill on the chest in black along with the steps that fold out from underneath his arms and the ones on his legs. In addition, I added some black to the struts that line the sides of the cab then gave him some tail lights.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The alt mode:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again, comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Attached Files:

2. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

I got this as a gift about a month ago, I love this version! You did a great job on the touch ups, makes me want to do the same to mine :)  that trailer looks great too^^

3. thebandwagon

4. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

The only thing about this figure that has me puzzled is the absence of Roller o.0 I love unique figures! I'm getting the Evangelion version of this when it comes out :3 I would also buy a diaclone color version . Also, anything G2 themed for all transformers I would buy it ha. What kind of paints did you use for the trailer?

5. thebandwagon

Roller was not all that huge a chunk of my childhood, so it didn't phase me too much when he was absent, but I love the figure nonetheless haha.

As for he trailer, I used a hammered finish metal and plastics spray paint in silver on the interior, then I taped up the sides panels to leave the main chunk of panels clear on the exterior. I painted the exterior base and the supports in a gloss black, then I went about adding most of the details on the interior with various metallic and black Sharpies. The red, orange, and blue details, such as the pipes, controls, and recessed panels in the center, were done with basic acrylic Testors glossy metallics applied by toothpick.

On a side note, I would love to find a copy of the roller figure on Shapeways or something so that people who purchased this figure could complete the classic ensemble. Heck, they could probable even include a little spike figure to boot! Either that or it would be just as awesome if someone were to make molds of the original and go about it that way so you don't spend so much for fuzzy 3d printing.

6. megrimlockbest

megrimlockbest Active Member

I just got my Prime a couple of days ago and I noticed that there is a small crack on top of the gold bumper, almost exactly like the one you have in your picture #8. Is this normal? What kind of paint should I get to cover it up? It would be great if you can recommend a product with the exact gold color. Thank you!!

7. thebandwagon

The small crack appears to be where the piece was sheared from the sprue, as you can see on most of the chromed pieces. It looks like they left most of the chunks on the sprue when they chromed them, because there is always that spot where it was cut off that is void of any paint. It appears to be relatively normal nowadays with chrome pieces on figures released by Hasbro, so it's not a defect per say, just a minor inconvenience that comes with the processes they use to cut costs.

If you were to go about covering it up, I would suggest removing all of the chrome pieces, which seems easy enough from the video I'll leave a link for below, giving all of the pieces a light sanding to give the paint something to grip and also to smooth out the part where the sprue used to be attached. Then I would use a chrome spray paint that has a very similar color to the original, I've found Rustoleum and Krylon spray paints to work best for me as I do not have an airbrushing setup and both are relatively heavy duty, which is good for a display piece that also happens to be a toy, albeit a beautiful and complex one. Hope this helps, I'm far from an expert, but I know a little bit haha.

8. megrimlockbest

Thank you :)  I love your custom paint for the trailer!

9. thebandwagon

Thanks man, if you do decide to fix it up let me know how it turns out!

10. stevil33

stevil33 Army of Wastemen

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Nice detailing bud!

11. megrimlockbest

12. thebandwagon