Minnesota Transformers Sightings

Discussion in 'Transformers Sightings' started by Foster, Oct 23, 2003.

1. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Yeah, I remember I had just visited my Dad at the VA hospital before I came over to the Hot Comics in Richfield.
    I was actually planning on selling those toys I mentioned before to clear up space at home with all this going on and those retro games...

2. Allnamestaken12345

Allnamestaken12345 Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss.

• Like Like x 1
  3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    So sorry for your loss. Don't ever worry about "bringing down the mood" in times like these. We're all a bunch of nerds with a common interest, and in lieu of being able to meet up given all the challenges of the past few years we've been able to take this little corner and lean on each other in times of need.

Even if we can't be there for support, we're always here if you need to vent more. My thoughts are with your family tonight.

• Like Like x 3
  4. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about that man. I'm sure most of us here appreciate you feeling like you can share what happened with us, because like others said, we're a community here and that's more for just talkin' robots. It's been a lot, so it's good you've got a place to vent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarlus Prime

Snarlus Prime Well-Known Member

That just sucks, no easy way to say it. Please vent here all you need.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MST3KFan

News Credits:
    Thank you. It's all very much appreciated right now.

Thank you, T-Hybrid, einhazard, and Snarlus Prime...we knew my Dad was going to pass as just this last week he decided to stop all treatments at the hospital for his cancer and stomach issues, but...not so quickly after getting out of the hospital, and not the way I had to stumble on.

I think he was trying to hide just how bad off he was health wise when he got home...claiming he was only "mildly dicomfortable" when asked by the hospice nurse about his pain. However, he complained about his stomach and his chest and then how he struggled to breathe just moving like from his recliner to the bed and stuff when she wasn't there...
    I assumed it was because of how miserable he had it in the hospital for almost the whole month, with not sleeping due to the noises, nurses constantly checking on him, and being in the same room as other patients, and thought maybe time and rest at home would help things improve...if just even a little. I think now on things given the last month before all this happened, the test results from the VA hospital were showing that his cancer was progressing rapidly now as the treatments no longer worked...maybe it was that...the cancer just finally took him.

It doesn't help my mind though from thinking "what if" or "maybe if I" kind of scenarios... I was along with the hospice nurse, Dad's caretaker in some ways, but he also wanted me to go to work still and make money...not worry about him...but I was just working through towards getting the Family Medical Leave through my job though regardless, because I didn't like leaving Dad alone while I was at work...even if it was only 5 hours...

My biggest fear I explained to the hospice lady that came by on Saturday to arrange my Dad's hospice care was coming home from work to find him collapsed down the stairs or on the floor, with no one around to help him, and my older brother and I were looking into one of those "Life Alert" things for him as a just in case...

I know everyone told me it wasn't my fault, that it was his time to go...just I would rather he passed away in his bed or on his recliner in his bedroom, and not....be on the kitchen floor when I got back from wor and have the 911 Operator have me try and give my Dad CPR...and the medics arrive to tell me there was nothing they could do...

I keep flashing back to yesterday morning, and... I know I was told by the hospice nurse and other medical people to try and get those traumatic images out of my head, replace them with uplifting...positive images of my Dad, but...it's hard... I'm trying to do things to get my mind off things like work on my webcomic, play video games, watch movies/YouTube, or go to some stores looking for toys...the things I did before all this, just to get my mind off things for a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That's really rough. Haven't been in that exact situation, but related. Hang in there. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bluestreaker

Bluestreaker Rodimus Pie!!!

News Credits:
    My father-in-law passed at the end of September, and my wife is in the doldrums of “what if’s.” And she’s a doctor, so she can’t shake the feeling that she missed something. At the end of the day, it was a barrage of health problems, in addition to *possible* Covid at the beginning of 2020. Sounds kind of like your Dad’s situation in some respects.

It sucks. It all sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MST3KFan

News Credits:
    Thanks. It wouldn't be as nerve-wracking had I found him in his bed or recliner when he passed away, but knowing he got up from his room and got to the downstairs kitchen before whatever happened, and to come home to the scene and the whole trying to do CPR... I'm grateful my older brother is dealing with a number of things to do with this right now like the funeral planning and stuff because I don't think I could do it myself right now.

Yeah, my Dad had been fighting multiple myeloma for over a decade having gone through almost a dozen treatments that basically kept it at bay, add to that having a lobe of his lung cut out in 2019 for lung cancer, then almost dying in December 2020 from COVID, to then these stomach issues he was having for most of 2021 that put him in the ER at the start of October as it turned out his stomach wasn't digesting food and so it swelled up to the point it was pushing on his organs and so they were attempting to empty his stomach out through a tube in his nose for a week to try and give him an endoscopy and when they tried the first time, he almost bleed to death, so that was another week of waiting and then they finally got the camera down into him, they found nothing to could be fixed...and that was the final straw for my Dad...with the cancer hitting him hard again and the doctors telling him they couldn't do anything more for him...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  10. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    When my grandmother passed a few years back, my mom went through that period as well where she blamed herself. This was even though my grandma had been 91 at the time. I can't pretend to know what it's like to lose a parent (or even a parent-in-law) so I won't sit here and say what's wrong or right to feel. But it helps knowing what my mom went through wasn't unique. I wish I could have had a better perspective of that at the time, because she decided to get an autopsy, which caused some animosity for a little between her, me, and my sister.

So if I can offer anything, it's that you're not alone. Thank you guys for sharing your experiences like this.

Right before my grandma passed I had been talking with a guy on this forum about a big lot of Transformers. I think it was the next morning I found out what was happening and took an immediate road trip with my wife to Colorado to be at her bedside with my family.

She passed a few days later. But during that time I was in Colorado the guy selling the lot got back to me. I hadn't mentioned it here (I mean what was the point?) so his response about the lot and the price, etc was an odd little bit of normal.

And, just out of a need for normalcy, I completed the transaction and met up with him when I was back in Minnesota. (That was the lot that kick-started my love of Combiner Wars, by the way).

I guess it's a long way to say, treating yourself like that is a good idea. It's self-care, and in times of stress it's good to take that time to check in with yourself.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  11. MST3KFan

News Credits:
    Some sense or normality would be nice here... I mean, I'm not going to stores the way I was right now, but I am still looking for a Waspinator and Gnaw here...and might just order that Castle Grayskull to pick up at my local Target here as I was gonna buy it before all this stuff happened.

Also, if someone wants a good restaurant in the North Metro, there's a burger and malt shop called "The Original Malt Shop" that is really good. (Went out to eat with some family members to get away from the house after things that happened.)

12. Bluestreaker

News Credits:
    Yeah, her dad was 93. So it wasn’t entirely unexpected. Up until the pandemic, he still worked part-time, played in three different bands, and did cardio every week. It was just such a massive change for him. It’s also rough between her and her brother too. So yeah… it’s never easy, regardless of age.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bluestreaker

News Credits:
    Ravage arrived from Pulse today. The box is crush on the top and bottom, but I don’t have the energy to try and exchange him. Opened him anyway. Pretty nice.

14. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, really happy with Ravage

20211027_171344.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bluestreaker

News Credits:
    Oh - as has been reported elsewhere, his front cat legs are misassembled swapped, but can easily be switched around.

• Like Like x 2
  16. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I haven't even transformer him yet and I'm in love. Design is great, articulation and paint is good.

Combined with Monday's retail find, it's been the week of black cats.

20211027_162907.jpg

17. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    Chanhassen Target:
    4x origin bee
    3x t-wrecks
    2x Slug
    2x grindor
    1x wreckgar

18. Snarlus Prime

Snarlus Prime Well-Known Member

Shakopee Target had a 50% off T-Wrecks when my wife was there

• Like Like x 1
  19. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    That mold is a steal at $25 regardless of paint job.

20. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Grabbed the last T-Wrecks at Shakopee Target