Minnesota Transformers Sightings

Discussion in 'Transformers Sightings' started by Foster, Oct 23, 2003.

1. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

To get everyone to buy them twice... Had they made the bot modes different or super stylized, they wouldn't have appealed to as many. So they make really cool looking figures, get everyone to buy them...then release even better versions and get everyone to buy them all again. Sucks for collectors who don't want to buy everything twice, but a win for Hasbro.

2. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

It really is a dirty play on Hasbro's part. Far more anti-consumer than the usual repaints and the new "pretools" of Titans Return.

For the folks saying that nobody has to buy a second round of characters, that is indeed true. However, the issue is that the second round of characters are generally considered better (closer to the cartoon, no haphazardly applied "battle damage," etc.). Consumers did not know that there was a second round of retooled (or identical, in the case of Astrotrain) characters, so they bought the original ones. If we could instantly replace the first round at no cost, then that would be fine. However, we can't. First of all, the fact that there are second better versions inherently devalues the old versions. Second, since almost everyone is trying to get rid of the old ones, the value of the old ones is further reduced. Everyone who bought the old versions loses in terms of utility because the old versions are worse than second round and everyone loses money because they have to buy a second figure and are unable to recoup losses selling the old.

Consumers lose when Hasbro does this.

3. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Nothing new at the Eagan Target.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GodzillaHop

GodzillaHop Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One Earthrise Astrotrain at the Coon Rapids Target at Riverdale.

5. Rodimus Pie

Rodimus Pie AWKWARD

Got ER Starscream in the mail from TFsource today. $45 with shipping. But I probably already blew $12 in gas looking for him. So at least that’s a future savings.... I guess.

As has been stated, he’s pretty cool. Only as poseable as the old deluxe, but much more intricate. Only strange thing is the lack of hard points for explosion effects.

6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    For me it's less about that and just the lack of imagination.

Why do Siege if we were going to see G1 updates to this close of a match one year later?

WfC could have focused on alts and characters from stuff like the Unicron trilogy.

Why should I be excited about yet another round of Seekers when I just passed on the last one?

• Like Like x 1
  7. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    Alright everyone, contain your shock but.... Bloomington Target.... had nothing interesting.
    Someday, I'll find leader prime.
    I guess they had s4 8pack botbots, but I think I'm the only person who actively collects those on this thread.

But did classics have ANKLE TILT? Also holy crap, I didn't even think that about the blast points! Super weird. Even if they're somehow upscaling old molds, seems like those would be easy enough to add. Bizarre!

Well... but no one has to buy a second round.
    And the tetrajets and Earth starscream are pretty different. And is anyone gonna be REALLY sore if they pass up earth mode tank megs? Optimus prime you say? Different transformations, different molds entirely, and we've basically got a new mold of Optimus every line since TIME IMMEMORIAL. I get the Datsuns, but even there, earth mode doesn't make it BETTER. I'll get smokescreen because I didn't get Siege smokescreen and leave it at that. And what about astrotrain? Unless you really want that map (which you can prolly find and print out somewhere on the forums), why in the universe would you buy a second, IDENTICAL guy? Packaging? C'mon man, I think it's COOL they'd re-release a late-wave figure so that more people have a chance to get him without turning to ebay, and it means LESS I have to buy overall, not MORE.
    I don't think you can even say 'Everyone's trying to get rid of the old ones', because I'm not. Most of the people here don't seem to be doing so. And even if you are, wasn't there someone else in this thread trying to BUY a bunch of them like... two days ago?
    I'd say the closest thing to a real argument here is the sweet Netflix Siege decos over the originals, but then, those are solely aimed at the type of collector who would buy multiple sets of the same figure (or maybe the collector who wasn't able to get them all the first time around?)
    I don't, in any way, see how the Siege modes are 'worse' than the ER ones. Is the argument that they're better because they're EARTH and that's IT? Because like... so? You buy one more megs, maybe a couple datsuns. You're not replacing the entire line unless you're just going for characters specifically, and if that's the case, how are you not replacing the bulk of your collection every 2-3 years anyhow?

Consumers lose? How? I'm in a position where I, as a collector and a consumer, have the option to buy LESS of a new line, and frankly, with 4 different transformers lines running concurrently (and me with my hands in all of them to some extent), I WELCOME less options in a single line. And again, I just don't get the argument of 'better' because I'm kinda tired of G1. At least we're starting to get more out-there characters like Alicon and Snapdragon (which, again, who are you replacing with THOSE guys?)

If 'consumers lose' when Transformers recycles characters, then we've only been losing for like 20 years. Repaints, remolds, and re-used characters are a way of life in this fandom. You can buy more guys ore less, but at the end of the day, no one has to buy a second round, and if you want Hasbro to hear what you're saying... don't.

I kinda think it's more of a baseline thing. Do the whole G1 shebang since it's been 10 years since we've had the whole cast get G1-ish updates. Sorry man, Combiner wars DOES NOT COUNT for that. Once that's done, move on to different stuff. Also again, how can we really say lack of imagination when we're getting characters like the Modulators and Quintesson Judge and stuff that hasn't had an update for like 30 years? Also, we both know you just really want them to move to Beast Wars again. XD
    "Why should I be excited for yet another round of Seekers when I just passed on the last one?" Because they're different molds? And we'll prolly get ramjet, dirge, and thrust rather than the Main 3. And you're also super discerning about who you get out of a line anyhow, so it's not really aimed at you.

But yeah, nothing at Bloomington Target tonight. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  8. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Prime Wars "counted" in the sense they gave us updated G1 combiners while *also* mixing in some newer stuff we hadn't seen before.

And that was fun. G1 fans got their teams, but we also got a new take on some old faves where the molds gave them flexibility.

I keep pushing for Godbomber, Victory Leo, Tidal Wave, etc ... because those are characters they could mix in that still fit the overall "modular" thing the line is going for.

Because it's a really fun concept, but they knee cap it with so few characters that really take advantage of it.

To be clear, from a toy standpoint I've got nothing against WfC. The ones I've bought are solid. But coming off the craziness that was Prime Wars...it conceptually feels so lacking in imagination.

9. einhazard

News Credits:
    Yeah but there's still part 3, and with the Titans basically wrapped up, we'll probably see commander going for the big weird characters.

And I kinda concede to your prime wars point, except that combiner wars was basically like 4 molds, and it was just 'this is a wheeljack-colored arm', rather than 'This is a G1-looking wheeljack'. It was a fun concept, but I know you and I deeply and fundamentally disagree on how 'fun' it was (Except for Titans Return. Titans Return slapped). WFC lacking in imagination? Eh, maybe, but then... modulators, quintesson, apeface, snapdragon, astrotrain, weapon masters, battle masters, grapple.. there's a lot of characters and ideas here we haven't seen in a while/before. It just fits a more 'traditional' play style of 'Figures and accessories', but is more 'figures ARE accessories', and really, isn't that basically what Prime Wars did anyhow?

10. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think they all look really good...but I didn't buy any rounds of them. Not because I'm mad or protesting, I just dont collect those lines anymore.

But end of the day, Hasbro is trying to get people to buy their shit and doesn't really make any apologies for succeeding. And most the people annoyed with their tactics are still buying them.

11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    TR was a blast. But there Hasbro pivoted away from the army of repaints in favor of just repacking dudes and has carried forward that way since.

I'm...fine...ish...with that. Especially now they they've launched Selects as a way of putting out those random repaints that used to fill out waves during CW and the front half of TR. *hugs Orthia*

I honestly don't know what's stopping Hasbro from dropping a combiner limb or two into the WfC series. Especially now that triple changers and Headmasters are back.

Heck, Doubledealer even gets to be a make shift Powermaster with that chest compartment.

12. einhazard

News Credits:
    That's the part I don't get. I love Transformers, but when the lines have been lackluster, I spend my money on 3p or Gundam or Mugenbine or Zords instead. When the lines pick back up, I come back. I have 'brand loyalty' I guess, but more than that I just love robot toys and I go all over the place for 'em. Heck, two, three years ago I dropped a chunk on Z-bots combiners because one of my peeps mentioned them in a meeting. Go with what makes you happy, and if the line doesn't go your way, get into the next one that does.

Doesn't fit the play pattern. I know you believe that everything could still use CW ports and whatever, but I'd rather have figures that stand on their own and can be played with/transformed back and forth than figures that are more useful just being a leg.
    That said, doesn't mean they couldn't use Selects for that very thing (see: Piranacon), but the retail lines are about themes, and going back to CW over and over won't happen, especially since it's a collector line and all (most of) the combiners are done.

13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

The only catch there is you can't unbuy the Siege line, which is the complaint...if people knew the Earth Rise line, or whatever it's called, was coming, they say they would have just skipped Siege. I dunno, I get the frustration, but I also get Hasbro is trying to sell product. My opinion...it could be worse. If the complaint is you really liked a line and now you like the newer figures even more...yep, it could definitely be worse.

• Like Like x 1
  14. einhazard

News Credits:
    I think it's weird to complain that you were tricked into buying toys because you can't see the future, especially when there's only a couple characters that actually overlap at all. And like you said, if my biggest problem is that newer lines get better... I'm doin' pretty well. XD

Also: a couple s5 botbot 5 packs, those big armor dudes from Cyberverse, and NO LEADER PRIMES at Edina Target. ;_;

15. Bumblebee bug 1

Bumblebee bug 1 Sarcasticon

To each their own. I enjoy having both an earth mode and a cybertronian mode of the same characters in the same line, much like we got with animated. I'm also a sucker for getting as many 5mm peg accessories as possible. My only gripe with siege was that I wanted their vehicle modes to look even more alien, more akin to the Tron looking cars and hover vehicles we got in the war for Cybertron video game. Also, as someone who collects marvel legends as well, where we're used to effect pieces and tons of different costumes for the same characters, having two different vehicle modes for an Optimus Prime or a Smokescreen doesn't bother me in the slightest.

16. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    I personally just kinda stopped buying retail transformers.
    Granted I did pick up a few siege figures for my kid, and one or two for myself...jetfire...studio series constructions...
    One of the things my son does when he's hanging out with my collection is count the number of any one specific character...
    "Dad, you have 32 Optimus Prime figures..."
    It kinda hit me...like, Has/Tak is never going to stop making Optimus figures...
    So what is the endgame for collecting? Where do you draw the line?
    I have 4 tubs of loose transformers stacked up in my storage room... and it's all retail stuff I wish I hadn't have purchased in hindsight, but eagerly gobbled up when it was new on the pegs...
    I'll never not love Transformers, but personally, I wasn't shocked about the Siege/Earthrise thing...I just got myself to a place with collecting where I see this new stuff, and I'm like "neat", and move on.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Snarlus Prime

Snarlus Prime Well-Known Member

Very, Very similar for me also, ServO.
    It was sad - but a freeing revelation all the same.

• Like Like x 1
  18. einhazard

News Credits:
    All of this. I want WFC/FOC or WW designs.

@ServO @Snarlus Prime
    For me, there is no end-point. I've actually whittled more out of my 3p than my 1p, and it's more like "Sure, it'd be cool to have a big-ass (insert character here), but I can get like... an entire wave for the same amount, they take up less space, and if they break I don't feel bad about it." Space--even with an entire room of my house for Transformers--is an issue too. While it's fun to haul out all my Armada or PCC or RotF guys to mess with for an afternoon or two, that all adds up. Maybe I'm slowly getting to that point, but since I'm in it mostly for the experience of transforming figures, I dunno if it CAN ever end for me.
    *stares blankly into the middle-distance*

• Like Like x 3
  19. Rewind

Rewind Motif

News Credits:

That's pretty much me. I've never been concerned with an ending point or goal. I enjoy all of the new iterations, even if there are just slight changes. I do amass boxes of unwanted toys over the course of time, but then I purge them and use the money for more toys. It's my 'fun' hobby. Some people throw away money on booze, drugs, guns, cars, Vikings tickets, you name it. I throw it away on toys. Hurrah.

• Like Like x 2
  20. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Yup! I wish Hasbro had done three chapters of alien alt modes before heading to Earth for super g1 accurate stuff.

Because now Wfc is this weird mish-mash and we're doubling up on characters we just got

------

In sightings news, was at Eagan Target yesterday. As OpFan said, nothing new. But my son picked out a new Rescue Bot and because it was the BOGO I decided I'd finally bring Cogman home.

Rescue Bot must not trip it, but the check out guy was a fellow fan, and gave it to me. Also talked about how excited he was about Earthrise and how he finally had a Cliffjumper who wasn't absurd third party pricing.

Seems nice, wonder if he comes here.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2