Minnesota Transformers Sightings

Discussion in 'Transformers Sightings' started by Foster, Oct 23, 2003.

1. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    It's the BRU. Same as how Richfield's BRU (across 494 around where the Bloomington TRU was) is closing.

2. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Gotcha

3. XIVOLVE

XIVOLVE Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. MN weather can hit you hard when you least expect it. Being a home owner is expensive, unless money is no issue for you. I've been through 3 homes, and I certainly can't afford it any more.

Regarding the TRU closures, aside from the rare TF exclusive, it was great when they had the TF reissues and a strong TF resurgence early in 2000, but now, I'm doing most of my shopping online at stores that specialize in high end collectibles (which TRU doesn't cater to). They need to sell 1/6 scale stuff, Nendoroids, Figmas, statues, Gundam kits, etc. if they want to get me to come into their stores more often. I mean Target has some Nendoroids for crying out loud.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Well, the TRU near me that will be sadly closing does sell Figuarts and various anime themed items.

Truthfully, I only went into TRU for the exclusive Legacy Power Rangers, Marvel Minimates, and occasional Marvel Legends 2-pack...and the Huge TF stuff like Trypticon, Devastator, and Fortress Maximus. With the Blaine TRU store closing, I'm losing yet another reason to go over to the Northtown Mall area, which is sad as I recall going there once every week in the early 2000s around 8am and being there til well after 1pm going to all the awesome stores and hanging out at the food court.

They used to have Media Play, Funcoland, Shinders, Suncoast, Sam Goody...so many places no longer with us.

5. deusxanime

deusxanime Well-Known Member

Are there going to be any clearance/going out of business type sales going on when they close? Or are they just shifting stock to other stores? Might be good to catch some deals if they sell stuff off.

And mentioning Suncoast in Northtown Mall brings back many memories of buying $30 anime VHS tapes there with 2 whole episodes each on them!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bluestreaker

Bluestreaker Rodimus Pie!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Oh hey... I'm also interested in one of those Music Label Convoys in G1 colors. (G1 mold with new head).

Anybody have a hot tip?

7. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Awesome! If it's just the three of us, somehow I feel like we can make it work for you einhazard :p 

Open dates?

• Like Like x 1
  8. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Count me in depending on the weekend. But plan around Einhazard. ;) 

9. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    Lol, please do not plan around me. XD My schedule is always a mess all the time. Just ask the T-Hybrid's ramhorn that's been sitting on my counter for approx. 2 months waiting for a time when we can meet up.

Case in point: Basically nothing before the super bowl since my poor wife is working 12-hour shifts to make sure the cell network in the area doesn't collapse like a dying star when it gets hit by twenty bajillion people and I wanna make sure she's got 0 things she needs to worry about, and then after that I have go out to DC on (DATES TO BE DECIDED) for (NUMBER OF DAYS TO BE DECIDED) for work stuff. ><

For real, make a plan and if I can be there, I'll be there. XD

10. MST3KFan

News Credits:
    Ah, yes. Anime was what got me into finally embracing DVDs as eventually some series I was buying VHS volumes of suddenly stopped doing the VHS releases and went to DVD only. Sucked too cause I'd have half a series on VHS, and half of it on DVD.

Still, lots of memories right there. Same for the Northtown (Blaine) TRU that is sadly closing. I remember going in there when I was really young and they had that huge walk-in with all the board games on one side, and all the video game systems and electronics in glass cases on the other side before you got into the heart of the store with all the toy aisles.

11. einhazard

News Credits:
    wait you guys paid for anime? I just pirated all of mine off IIRC channels back in the day.

I shouldn't poke fun. I spent the majority of my formative years around Dawson, MN, resulting in the only anime I could get my hands on being what I could record off of cartoon network.
    It was a terrible place. No one liked Transformers aside from me. Dark times.
    That nostalgia reminds me though... this year my official collection is 20 years old!

In other TF related news, just got my Cogman. I gotta say, he is really good. He's definitely one of the best deluxes in TLK (I think I might like Sqweeks more, but that's just because he's so darn unique). Cogman's transformation isn't really anything to out there, but it's enjoyable and feels better than most of the other Deluxes. Headmaster gimmick works well on him, he's pretty poseable, and for a robot who's basically just gray, he looks pretty great!
    Not sure if he's worth the $32 I spent on him on Amazon, but I'm not disappointed that I did it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Okay, now you have to start taking pics of Cogman with other heads on.

13. vicious7171

vicious7171 chillin like a villain

I think I get Maplewood. I get them mixed up a lot. Too many laser cannon shots to the head.

14. deusxanime

deusxanime Well-Known Member

Back then broadband was 512kbps - 1mbps or less if you were lucky. If you weren't you were still on dialup. Also episodes were in .rm format (Real Player, remember that piece of crap?) at like 15-20 MB per. It felt like there were 3 pixels per frame! VHS was so much nicer. =)

Kids (and admittedly me) are so spoiled today with their 1080p h264/h265 10bit mkvs!

• Like Like x 1
  15. einhazard

News Credits:
    Man, that reminds me of being on BBS's when I was really little. When I lived in Western MN, we didn't have internet in any form (even dial up) until after I went to college in 2002, at which point internet was fast enough to just turn on a bunch of IIRC downloads and leave for class. Like I said, western MN times were the dark times. XD

16. XIVOLVE

The first time I visited that Blaine TRU, I was shocked to see a TF Energon Mirage after looking for it everywhere. That was a cool find and made me some what appreciate that TRU, but lately, I haven't seen anything remotely interesting to keep going there, aside from the Chaos on Velocitron set, but they only had one out instead of ten like it should be.
    I've never seen a Figuarts in any TRU I went to. If there was at least one specialty retail store that sold collectible figures, I'd be shopping there quite a bit. I bought all 4 Figuarts TMNT turtles when BBTS had their holiday sale, and those figures are just incredible, it's unfortunate that figures that cool aren't on stores shelves.
    I'm kind of thinking about opening a retail store that sells collectible figures, but I don't have the financial means to run a store like that yet.

Not sure if anyone here's been to the Tomodachi shop in the Rosedale mall, but they had some cool Japan figures, unfortunately, I think they're not selling as much cool Japan merchandise any more.

Speaking of Suncoast, I used to buy alot of anime from there, almost on a weekly basis, but they didn't stock that stuff fast enough. I'm not into anime anymore, and the internet pretty much killed their business.

17. XIVOLVE

I remember going into an Asian grocery store in St. Paul to see what kind of videos they had, and saw they had some anime for rent. Got Guyver, Macross 2, and I think Maddox-1, don't remember. That pretty much got me hooked.
    I still have all the anime VHS tapes I bought, and Laserdiscs too, remember those? :p 

18. MST3KFan

News Credits:
    I think Best Buy at the time also killed Suncoast, Sam Goody, Media Play, etc. Cause at the time, they also sold a lot of anime and movies and for far cheaper prices than Suncoast and the others.

However, once they killed all the competition, Best Buy started to raise their prices and carry less good stuff. And then the internet has been killing THEIR business cause if you walk into Best Buy today, they barely have anything for their movies, CDs, or video game sections and a whole lot of empty floor space.

(BTW, the Figuarts TMNT figures are indeed incredible. It's a shame they never went beyond the turtles with that awesome Shredder they showed off. The line went the way of the S.H. Figuarts Super Mario line as well as the Power Rangers/Super Sentai lines sadly.)

19. XIVOLVE

I have dark memories of dialup. :eek:  haha

I could never figure out how to use BBS or IIRC back in the early 90's so I didn't do much with them. I also don't have cable so I never got into Cartoon network. Not sure what time frame that was, because I got anime from other sources (video rental stores), not internet related.

• Like Like x 1
  20. XIVOLVE

Yeah, I recall hearing about how Best Buy were going to start selling movies and compete directly with those specialty shops. I know Suncoast was quite expensive back then. Their fault for not lowering their prices.
    I had the original Playmates TMNT figures back when the original cartoon aired, and those were okay figures, but it took this long to get cartoon accurate figures with the kind of quality the Figuarts have.