Minnesota Meetup

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by optimusfan, Jul 25, 2009.

1. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Update 7/29/2015
    1st Official FrankieCon!

Sponsored by Frankie's Bar and Restaurant and Hot Comics!

Saturday, August 15
    1-5pm
    (Vendor set up from noon-1pm)

Frankie's Chicago Style Bar and Restaurant
    3556 Winnetka Ave
    New Hope, MN 55427

Admission: FREE
    Sellers/Vendors fee: FREE
    Pizza: FREE

(Only a certain number of pizzas will be provided. Once they're gone, they're gone.)

MEET OTHER FANS!
    WIN DOOR PRIZES!
    COMMUNITY ART PROJECT!
    CUSTOM CONTEST!

Detailed Info:

MEET OTHER FANS - Although this event is open to the public, space will be set aside for people to enjoy the more traditional small-group atmosphere. Feel free to mingle with the public at your own risk!
    DOOR PRIZES - Multiple free figure/toy giveaways. Free to enter. Drawing held at 4:30pm. Must be present to win.
    COMMUNITY ART PROJECT: Bring your broken, battered, and condemned! We will be making a working desk lamp from donated broken Transformers/Action Figures during the con. It would be cool if everyone brought something for this if possible. Someone will take this home as one of the door prize giveaways!
    CUSTOM CONTEST: Show us your stuff! One entry per person. We will line up everyone's custom Transformers/Action Figures/Scale Vehicles and vote on which one we like best. No celebrity judges; no categories; no minimum requirements. Bring anything from a minor detailing work to a 100% custom build - your call! Prize is a MP-scale custom-built Autobot golden throne made from aluminum with a red padded seat!

As always, ANYONE is welcome to bring Transformers/Toys/Action Figures/Etc to sell/trade! Spacing is pretty much first come, first served. I recommend putting prices on your items ahead of time. Each person will get approximately 4'x4' of selling space. Vendors may arrive at noon.

Hot Comics will be setting up in a vendor space with stuff to sell. It sounds like Mike will be attending (or Dave, another TF/Toy aficionado from the store). Hot Comics will also be offering a coupon and/or a special sale during FrankieCon. Their store will be putting FrankieCon posters in their store and putting flyers in their customers' bags for about 2 weeks leading up to it. Mike has just made a big 4-tote TF purchase and will have them ready around time for FrankieCon.

Also, the owner of Frankie's has offered to advertise FrankieCon in the restaurant, on their Facebook page, and through fliers attached to all delivery bags. Additionally, the kitchen manager has promised to have a Transformer-themed food special for sale!

I need your help! I'm still looking for volunteers to help run the custom contest, the community art project, and general greeting/name tag duties. PM if interested.

Hope to see you all at FrankieCon!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm in. I'll be able to bring a couple of rubbermaid bins of g1 and other misc. I'll post the list here once I have it all together.

3. Shockwave22

Shockwave22 Well-Known Member

Not sure I can I normally go to my Dads grave on that day (His Birthday)

4. biigdady69

biigdady69 Martimus Prime

I'm SOOOOO in, it hurts! Now we're talkin!!!

~Marty

5. SicklyInfected

SicklyInfected Well-Known Member

i have a feeling I would be the youngest one at the meet up haha.

6. Lord Moke

Lord Moke Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I should be up for it, provided I don't work.

7. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Can’t deal with that right now

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I can meet up if it is earlier in the day, I work at 3pm that afternoon. Otherwise I'll have to catch you guys at the next one.

8. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I should be able to make it. I have the 12th-24th off from work for my summer vacation/recharge.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I may be able to go, we might be going to a friend's cabin that weekend. I have lots of stuff I'd consider trading.

10. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Well, judging by our chosen hobby we're all perpetually about 8, so it shouldn't much matter. ;) 

Perhaps it could start with a later lunch at like 1 PM. I know that it's impossible to coordinate these sorts of things so everyone can attend, but we do have some time at this point to find something that works.

Anyway, I've PM'd someone who's organized this sort of thing for some additional info. In the meantime, I know some of you folks are in that area far more often than I am. Any ideas on good places nearby to meet and eat?

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    wish i wasn't so far north or id come if have about a 4 hour drive at least not counting road contruction, that said do we have members in my neck of the woods which is Detroit Lakes, anyone near me?

12. biigdady69

biigdady69 Martimus Prime

I love all sorts of food, so I'm down with wherever. With that said, we should pick a place that serves alcohol for those of us that wanna grab a beer or a cocktail.

While I may be up for buying something from someone, it's definitely not my main objective. I'm way more interested in meeting you all and just hanging out! I think everyone should come in to this thing with the mentality that we've all been good friends for a long time. I know that I tend to be an extremely social person, but I know that some may not be that way. To those people, have no worries! This is going to be a really fun time, and ALL are welcome!!!!! Don't be shy! Let's party!!!!!!!!!
    :bay 

~Martalicious

13. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm so there!

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It would be awesome if you did show for some odd reason.

15. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yes, I think that comment might have been a bit facetious. Regardless, we have a one admin/mod/etc. per gathering rule that I just made up, and Foster has dibs. :ev: 

Here's one other thing I was thinking of and was wondering if you guys thought it was worthwhile. TFSource is purportedly in Forest Lake, or at least they may have a warehouse there. Obviously I don't think it's worth their their time to show up for like 10 people, but I was wondering if there would be any interest in me contacting them to see if they'd be interested in cutting a deal. One potentially realistic scenario would be something where we order some stuff but don't pay the extra cost of S/H. Instead, before the meet-up one or more of us heads to Forest Lake and brings the goods up to wherever we decide to meet.

Anyway, it's a thought I figured I'd throw out there. I don't know if they'd go for it or if it's even doable, but I think it makes sense to see if there is any interest on our side first. I'd feel kind of silly to work something out and then have like 1 person order something!

16. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I've been a member of a 'local' Yahoo group (Midwest_Transfans) that gathers together about once a month, but have never 'gotten around' to making it to the gatherings...
    If there's enough interest, I might actually make an appearance to one of these gatherings... However, it will really depend on how much money I'll have available at the time, as to whether or not I'll be able to attend...
    We'll see at this point...

So, I'm a "Maybe"?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  17. sideswipe21

sideswipe21 With Flare Launcher!

Ebay:
    I should be able to make it...provided I don't get stuck in Dallas for work over that weekend. I won't have much to bring to trade/sell, but I might have some stuff...

18. kmoua7

kmoua7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to attend if I'm available at the time.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    looks lik no one else up north like me :(  ah well good to know there are a fair number of Minnesota members though

20. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

DOH!

I'll be in Vegas that weekend. Oh well, party for me.

I'm probably the closest, and that's still a long haul for me to DL.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009