Mindhunter Season 1 |OT| Darkness Awaits

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by hellrasinbrasin, Mar 1, 2017.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

2. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *watches trailer*
    So... it sounds like they're doing a TV version of the actual movie. (Which is one of my favorite movies) But I have been wrong before.

jD001

3. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

My wife and I just started watching this, and it's pretty freaking great.

I really wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it is.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, my wife and I just started watching it, too. We're 4 episodes in and loving it, except the huge change of scene titles are blinding.

Like you're watching, everything is normal, then all of a sudden

PITTSBURGH,
    PENNSYLVANIA

or something fills up the entire screen.
    Different shows handle this differently, but this is definitely the most ridiculous way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ABH1979

Ha, yeah, we noticed that as well. The even funnier thing is the credits at the end are tiny -- so it's like the biggest font possible for locations, and the smallest for the credits. I don't mind it -- it adds to the quirkiness of the show.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We've been watching it this week, but still have the last episode to get through. Hopefully that'll happen tonight. Extremely great show, and the presence of David Fincher is distinctly there. I love that he even directed a couple of the episodes. Definitely has a Seven/Zodiac feel to a lot it in way of the color palettes and how you don't actually SEE a lot of the actual crimes.

Out only minor gripe is with some of the acting. It's kind of hit or miss depending on the episode with Jonathan Groff (Holden), but holy shit, Hannah Gross (Debbie) is awwwwful. Like, distractingly terrible. To the point that I'm in awe that sh ever got cast, especially with the standards Fincher usually has. Just sounds like she's literally reading the lines as she says them. The fact that her face doesn't/can't emote doesn't help matters. Everyone else, though, I'd say is pretty solid. Particularly glad to see Holt McCallany (Bill) get a lead role like this.

Anyway, it's been pretty cool watching Holden's character deteriorate from an almost innocent boy scout to something much darker and seasoned as the show goes on, the advent of the term "serial killer" replacing "sequence killer", and how everyone they talk about and/or to are real convicted murderers. Specifically Ed Kemper - that actor NAILED it perfectly. So creepy. Though the stuff with Jerry Brudos was also... blech... just queeze inducing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ABH1979

LALALALA *figures in ears* -- we've only watched through episode 3 so far, so I'm going to skip over your last paragraph.

I did notice the stilted acting, but I wondered if that wasn't intended, for some reason. But anyway, I'm loving the interactions between Holden and Bill, and Kemper is funnier that he ought to be.

8. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Ah shit, sorry about that! Nothing in there was particularly spoilery, but I just went back and hid it in case it's a little too much info.

I think it is for Holden's character given his almost robotic approach to things, which is still taking some getting used to, but not with Debbie's. That's just terribly bad acting.

Heh, yeah, it's a little f'd up how funny some of those exchanges are, given the subject matter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABH1979

We just finished it up last night -- great show, we're eager to see Season 2, but I did like the earlier episodes more than the way it finished up. Holden did become a jackass, but I'm just glad that all of the main cast are alive and well, so we can see more of them. Holden's last visit with Kemper was intense...

10. Incepticon

News Credits:
    With Season 2 now - FINALLY - only a week away, I figured the thread could use a much needed bump to remind everyone of this show's awesomeness.

Season 1 brought attention to real life serial/spree killers Ed Kemper, Richard Speck, Jerry Brudos, Montie Rissell and the unnamed/uncredited beginnings of Dennis Rader aka the BTK Killer.

Season 2 will be focusing on MUCH further development of the BTK, interviewing Charles Manson, David Berkowitz aka the Son of Sam, all while the the Atalanta Child Murders by Wayne Williams are seemingly happening.

Teaser

Trailer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. ABH1979

Nice, yeah, we're looking forward to it. We just finished going through the first season again, a few days go.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, same with us. Good thing, too, because it's been so long - almost 2 years - that we forgot a LOT of things. In particular, all those opening scenes with Rader/BTK getting up to shit.

I still think all the Ed Kemper parts are my favorite. That actor nails it SO well. Whenever he does that soft hand touch thing to Holden, ehhhh... I just clench up from the creepiness of it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tprime

Tprime Well-Known Cybertronian

I am surprised this thread hasn't had much traffic since Season 2 released recently.

I finished watching Season 2. I liked it overall and the show remains top notch. I really like David Fincher's style. Even if he only directed a few episodes, the tone of the show definitely follows his cues he has set throughout. I find that I really enjoy and care about the 3 characters: Holden, Tench, and Wendy. Although I thought Wendy was kind of useless this season. Sure, they developed her character's personal life but I felt like she didn't really do much to push the work that they were doing. It seems like Holden and Tench didn't even consult her once on the Atlanta child murders and she was just stuck on her own doing one-off interviews with Greg. The introduction of Gunn is a nice refreshing touch too.

Another thing I thought was weird was that the season started off with Holden possibly suffering from recurring panic attacks, only for it to never come up again. Makes me wonder why they even put it in there in the first place.

Lastly, poor Tench. He had it the roughest this season caught between work and his family life. It's early but I wonder if the show would take it to a place where...

...Brian grows up to be an eventual killer himself. That would be ironic.

Solid season. I also like it that this show chooses to wrap everything up in a season and not fall into the typical cliffhanger. I want more episodes already. Sucks that we probably have to wait 2 years to see more.

14. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    I finished S2 last night. I am officially mindblown.

I was born in mid-70s so talking to people who were teenager or young adults and remember these incidents on TV or in newspaper is fascinating.

Actor who plays Manson, plays Manson in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  16. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Eh, sadly, might be for the best. I couldn't stop talking about S1 when it showed up, but S2 was an underwhelming slog that took great effort to even finish. The entire show went off the rails with what it was originally about, and you could see that even they lost track of what they were doing with it. That, and Fincher is famously responsible for the huge delay with S2 even being completed. All the actors said - annoyingly - that they had completed filming it over an entire year before a release date was even hinted at let alone announced, but everyone was stuck in limbo waiting for Fincher to "do his thing" and had no idea when it would eventually show up.

At least S1 is SO good that it can stand on its own.