Military human characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Terrellatron, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Would you prefer a military centric transformers with no teenage side characters or families.Like have a complete Black ops Transformers film.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

No. I prefer civilian main characters.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    We badly needed a NEST focused film after DOTM. Lennox would have been a phenomenally better lead than Whalberg, and not just because Lennox actually has established history with Transformers instead of having to reintroduce the robots yet again to some schmuck who really should have died.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Both are viable vectors. I liked Charlie and Bumblebee a lot as a pair, but I think there was incalculable lost opportunities by not showing Ironhide at home with Lennox, his wife and his daughter. The jokes, the interesting character interactions and such write themselves.

• Like Like x 12
  5. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Same here, I find everyday people more engaging.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to a TF movie that features a military soldier as the main human character if it fits. I loved that art for Operation Skyfire, and that appeared to star a cast of soldiers. So I'm up for whatever fits the story.

• Like Like x 3
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Lennox was a military human character, who had enough civilian background with his family to come home to. He would have fit well as the central Autobot ally.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Bee Camaro

Bee Camaro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would've been cool to see Lennox as the main human with Ironhide as the main Autobot.

Or Epps with with the Wreckers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    At this point I would just because I think it would lead to more action and be less of a teen drama.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Ironhide trying to understand why humans would suffer the torture of caring for a baby would be hillarious.

"Ah, I see, you use it as a kind of psychological weapon, to distract them with its crying while you shoot them in the face!"

• Like Like x 2
  10. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Yeah, I can see that.

To me though, N.E.S.T. hogged a lot of the action spotlight from the Autobots, and they were mostly extremely generic as characters. Ironically, I greatly prefer Hardcore Eddie to Lennox and Epps. He was at least colorful, and I'll take colorful military guy over generic military guys.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Honorbound

Honorbound Taking a break.

Ebay:
    I've been saying that since 2007 - Lennox and his family would have been a much better anchor for the movies, since they were more down-to-Earth, and their concerns were directly related to the war with the Decepticons without having to use a McGuffin to rope them in like with Sam. @Gordon_4 had a really good point about the lost opportunity of Ironhide being the Lennox family's surrogate uncle; I think that it could have been expanded to include all the surviving Autobots - Lennox's daughter would have four surrogate uncles.

• Like Like x 4
  12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I totally agree. I didn't really like NEST. I suppose I get why people like the idea of a military/Autobot teamup, but it does nothing for me. Similarly, stuff like SHIELD does nothing for me, I watch Marvel for the superheroes. The more government red tape a sci-fi story involves, the more boring it is to me. I have mixed feelings on the Prime show, but I like how they handled that aspect. The government was like "hey, here's a base, just do your thing and stay out of our way. We'll send an agent to check up every now and then". That was a semi-realistic way of acknowledging the government/military involvement while keeping the Autobots (and the everyday humans) the focus.

It could be neat to do a story about a soldier who gets separated from his platoon during a war, and teams up with an Autobot. I could see that being a neat premise for something like a Hound standalone story. Because the solder could still be an everyday guy in that situation. But yeah, NEST-style teamup stuff does nothing for me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I think that'd be fine. But, I'd actually would like to see someone more like Sari from TFA. Around the same age, too. You know, like a cyborg person. You can make her a pretender.

Being that Sari is one of my favorite human characters.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I would not say no to this idea either.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dolza_Khyron

Now, if you really want to get creative, she's a pretender who is also a brainmaster.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The military should be there to support the Autobots, not the other way around. If they can adhere to that place in the plot, I'd be okay, but when more 'Cons get taken out by soldiers than any one Autobot, you've got a problem.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    This however was a major problem with the Michael Bay series of movies, the first three more so than the last two, but it did undermine the Autobots own effectiveness as characters in a big way. Bumblebee was refreshingly free from that aspect of the movie franchise due to telling a much more intimate and small scale story.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Combined with the general floaty feel and ragdoll physics of the bay movie TFs, it all made them feel incredibly weak and lightweight, like literal toys. Worse, the exact movements of the TFs were almost never choreographed before filming, leaving so much of the environment unaffected by these colossal beings save for whatever surface-level cosmetic damage the visual effects artists add in to try and make up for that.

Like a Transformer would crash into pavement or be slammed into a wall and there'd be hardly a scratch. In fact I don't even think they left footprints after ROTF.

19. Dolza_Khyron

I had the bigger problem/annoyance with the fact that in robot mode the transformers were heavily scratched up, and or broken in some cases, but in vehicle mode they were sparkly and new. (At least in most cases.)

Because I guess GM really really had to have those ads all over this movie looking like perfectly cared for showroom models.

• Like Like x 1
  20. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I figured they were kind of like wrinkles and stretch marks from transforming, that their metal skin stretched out for robot mode.
    That said, I would like to see some vehicle damage in the movies.