Mikaela was an interesting character.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jalen Frisby, May 20, 2020.

1. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I don't mean that in a bad way, i think she actually has depth, and character in the 1st film. we see she knows her way around cars, she has a record because she wouldn't turn her dad in, she drove back to mission city, with Bee's help, they took down Brawl.

Then, the second movie happens, where she barely has any character, and just being boobs and butt, and just Sam's girlfriend. We know she was supposed to be in the third one, and i would have loved her to be in it, because they were going somewhere with her and sam( I think), but she called Micheal Bay, Hitler. which was pretty stupid. But i digress, what do you guys think??

2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    I think this has been the sentiment for the last thirteen years.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I think we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel in order to praise these movies.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kinda wish she had been the main character and Sam the damsel in distress tbh.
    As much as I love Carly, her role really was made for Mikaela.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That might've made a bigger impact, really. It could've changed the course, at least some.

I personally have no issue with Megan Fox herself, I'm sure she's a decent human being and she doesn't ring any bells on the awful detector (but I can't remember every moment of the last 10+ years, so forgive me if I missed something.) but Mikaela was one of the worst characters due to acting and how she was mishandled as stated in the original post.

This is the problem that befalls a flick when you base a character on the actress's ability to wash your car in a bikini, pretty much.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought she (like many characters in these movies) was interesting in-theory, but not so much in execution. Lindsey Ellis actually has a really interesting video on this topic. She points out that on-paper Mikaela is an interesting and competent character, but it doesn't entirely come across in the movie because of how often and how extreme the camera sexualizes her. I tend to agree with that perspective. The writing is telling us something different than the camera. Hence why a lot of people walked away with the notion that Mikaela was just a love interest. Myself included. I must admit that I never really thought of Mikaela as a proper character until I heard that.

It might be unpopular since Megan Fox has become somewhat iconic within the fanbase, but I also feel like Mikaela was miscast. I don't find Megan Fox to be a particularly great actress, and I don't think she comes across as tough or "go-get-'em" enough to be convincing as a hardened criminal mechanic. She just kind of feels like an average high school girl. Which was fine at first since she was possibly putting on that persona, but I didn't think she made a great transition when it came time. Honestly, Rachel Taylor (who played Maggie) would have probably made a better Mikaela. I feel like that character is underrated. Maggie is much more memorable in my mind, even though she gets far less screentime.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

I think that those traits that make her potentially interesting don't really go anywhere. Her being a skilled mechanic seems like it exists just so we can get that shot of her leaning over Bumblebee's open hood all seductive-like and go "hey, it's a smokin hot girl who also knows how to fix an engine, that makes her even hotter!". Similarly her criminal background seemingly only exists for that little bit of expository dialogue with Simmons and Sam when they're in the back of the SUV, and largely as a lead up to Simmons' "criminals are hot!" joke line.

As for helping in the battle, it might've been more impactful if she was the combat-capable, fearless one while Sam was more unsure. Granted Sam is scared out of his mind most of the time but it still falls to him to suck it up and be in the middle of the fights and not be totally overwhelmed by it.

She has those positive traits less for the payoff they grant in the story and more for the fact that the idea of what they represent are meant to bolster her case for being the standard objectifiable sex object love interest that Michael Bay & the writers wanted.

It's also not helped by the fact that Megan Fox has the acting range of a cedar plank, muting and blunting any sort of subtext or understated value those traits could bring to the role.

Granted she at least had more of a character than Carly did in DOTM, so that's... something.

They might've been better off if (given a superior actor) they had made Mikela more along the lines of G1 Cartoon Carly: an intelligent technically/mechanically-minded girl with a thirst for adventure and knowledge who jumps at the adventure of hanging out with the Transformers and provides an intelligent counterpoint to the totally-out-of-his-depth and overly cautious/reticent Sam. But that wasn't likely when your typical Bay-movie love interest doesn't have to be too interesting beyond "SHE'S SUPER HAWWWWTTTTT, BRO!"

There was that time she compared Michael Bay to Hitler, which is pretty dumb when your movie is executive produced by Stephen Spielberg of all people (and the story going around is that it was indeed Spielberg that had her dropped from DOTM because of those comments). But that's still relatively small potatoes in the spectrum of dumb crap celebrities can get themselves in trouble for. It's not like she was doing drugs or eating babies or doing drugs off the bodies of the babies that she was eating.

• Like Like x 2
  8. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm guessing everyone has seen marlinfans video on this huh and everybody is now talking about it.

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    There was certainly potential, and a lot of the dramatic beats in Dark of the Moon would have landed better with her than with Carly, though I personally find Carly less obnoxious.

Oh well, paths not travelled.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Yea, I agree. She most certainly was a character.

11. Liege Nemesis

personally, nope. I'm only here because the thread showed up and it seemed like it might be interesting discussion. I tend not to pay attention to most YT creator 'amateur discussion on an aspect of pop culture' type videos for basically anything, let alone transformers. Kind of ironic considering most of my energy on this site is spent doing something similar to those videos as I post a ton of material discussing and mercilessly sassing my way slowly through the whole oeuvre of Transformers cartoon series. But here we are... :lol 

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The TF movie section is kind of like YouTube's algorithm. It basically keeps regurgitating stuff that's been done to death over the past decade and change the movie series has been around. You wanna see some discussion about Mikaela? Go find some of the 07-09 threads on the character: shit got wild when she (and other examples of wasted potential) was a live presence in the films.

I mean I'm posting in this damn thread mainly because I can't believe the same observations - even allowing for time and distance to provoke more nuanced thought - are still being treated as new or revelatory for some people.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

Not everyone was HERE Oldsage

14. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That I did remember. I didn't mention it because it was all for naught anyway. He ended up using her again for TMNT. And while I understand the offense and how awful it is, especially for Spielberg, I don't entirely fault her for it. While he isn't Hitler and it was poor taste, Bay's absolutely awful on set.

He can be kind when Make A Wish visits the sets, or if there's some charity involving children and visitors. TJ Miller confirmed this. He even went so far as to say he could be a nice guy when the camera wasn't rolling and they weren't doing something film-wise. (Although, Miller has some serious issues and Bay has skeevy personality issues, so "nice" and "kind" can be subjective...) BUT... Miller said when the camera is rolling, he's an awful human being and incredibly cruel and has no problem firing people right on the spot.

Bobby Lee, a comedian, was interviewing Miller and discussing this and he said Bay assaulted him on set by grabbing both sides of his head thus driving his thumbs into his cheeks and shoving him around. He hated working with him.

If that isn't the type of behavior Hitler elicited (and much, much worse, of course), I mean...I can certainly see why she labeled him as such. I don't care how upset one is when a scene is blown, you never ever have the right to put your hands on someone. It reminds me of the time Christian Bale went off on the staffer who blew a scene during Terminator. Yes, the guy had it coming, and Bale does a lot of charity (he went to Disney with a family), but his blowup was epic and shows that he can be just as ridiculous as the people he verbally attacks.

I'm just saying, while one can do decent things, if the remainder of their time is being awful (and more stories come out as time goes on), they tend to be considered an on set Hitler by people caught in the crosshairs because the director can't handle being a human being and professional at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sablebot

Sablebot #iposttomakeyouthinknotdebate

I
    Interesting. I have a friend who's a grip on feature films, and he, too, mentioned that Bay was hard to work with, and stated some of the exact same things you said.

16. vatarian

vatarian Hive Princess

Honestly, 13 years after the fact, Mikaela’s one of the few characters I can actually connect with, watching the Bay movies.

Sam is too hyperactive and vacuous. The parents are one big joke. The bots’ personalities change on Michael’s particular whim of the day....

Mikaela, Lennox, and maybe the FBI girl are the only characters who feel like.... Real people.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Profession psychopathism

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You should hear some of the shit James Cameron got up to in his younger years. Fuck me, if Bay is Hitler then Cameron is Darth Vader. And I say that as not only a big fan of him as filmmaker but even still miraculously kind of as a person based on what I know of him.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Liege Nemesis

Not everyone was here for the whole history of discussion on every conceivable topic. You're talking about threads from 07-09, but just as an example my account is not quite a year and a half old and my time as an active poster and contributor is probably only about 9 or 10 months old. The OP's account is not even 2 years old. We weren't here for this discussion was first active. Since users aren't likely going to comb the archives for the full history of discussion on a topic, it's not surprising that newer fans are going to spontaneously come up with the same or similar thoughts, opinions, or theories as older fans given the same inputs and a vacuum. It's a disservice to those posters to hold it against them like "I can't believe they treat their observations as new or revelatory" when you can't reasonably expect that they would know of every possible conversation that's happened in the past especially if it predates their position in the community by nearly a decade. It's not like we're in an academic setting where that sort of revision and research would be necessary.

And besides that, if we were to condemn the repetition of opinions on the basis of "it's nothing we haven't seen before" then these boards would probably be a ghost town except for talk about the newest media and toys and perhaps tangential relating of classic series to those newer works (ie comparing the WFC toyline to G1 cartoon models or that sort of thing) because at some point somewhere in history those other discussions will have happened before. My cartoon rewatch threads would be superfluous because chances are I'm not adding anything of significance to the analysis of shows that are 30 years old. There's likely very little about the G1 toys or Beast Wars/Beast Machines that hasn't been beaten to death already. Even among people who might be watching those series for the very first time. But it doesn't matter because discussion comes up organically through the community at the time it's taking place. We don't all have the archive of all considered discussion from eras beyond our own in our back pockets to inform the direction of future topics.

20. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

I thought Megan Fox's acting was better in Jennifer's Body. But that movie had a competent director.

• Like Like x 3