Mighty No. 9 by Keiji Inafune

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Valkysas, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

From rumors I've picked up in various places, I wouldn't be -too- suprised to learn a lot of the problems came from Deep Silver.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

We already know some of them did. A ton of the campaign's problems were messaging and PR, and that's pretty much all Deep Silver.

3. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *peeks in*

I think Xbox just listed it first. They also were the first to kinda leak the release date for the game.

*peeks out*

• Like Like x 1
  4. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    my mistake then

5. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I've seen *RUMORS* that deep silver kept demanding different things as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I have similar feelings. I been taking my time with this game. I have 2 mighty bosses left. There is issues with some level design. For the most par they are straight forward and a little bland. Another thing I don't like is you can't shot or change your powers while climbing ladders or hanging on ledges.

But the boss fights are great, overall gameplay of shoot n dash is neat and I like the most of the mighty designs.

I feel like a sequel could fix all of its current issues.

If I had a letter grade for it it would be a C+.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

So from what I've heard, it's average. Not great, not terrible, just average.

I think most of the bashing is because after all the delays, and all the money they had, people wanted something better than average.

I kind of want to try it for myself, give it a fair chance, but I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flamepanther

I think whether it's "average" depends on your tastes in platforming games. As modern platform games go, I think it's way above the average. Almost top-tier, but not quite up there with the new Rayman games and such. But still way above most of the other platformers you'll find on Steam. As others have said, it's at least a very solid "B". I'd say more like a B+ or an A-. But there are two main issues (other than the faulty ports at launch and the bullshit from Deep Silver) pushing the scores down:

First off, a lot of the Kickstarter and secondary backers seem to have expected an A++, and anything less is unacceptable. I'm not sure why, since Mega Man has always been solid on gameplay but rarely A+ material in any other capacity. Evidently when you personally back a $20-30 game for $300 it entitles you to a $300 game or something. For a lot of these guys, it was their first crowdfunding experience, and I think they misunderstood how it works. Anyhow, the game is getting F grades from these folks, which is clearly undeserved.

So then you've got the game critics. Their assessments (typically C to B-) are more realistic, but you need to look at what they're counting against it. It's difficult to find a review that isn't either completely tainted by rose colored glasses filtering out the faults in the original Mega Man games, or that recognizes these faults but expects Mighty to dispense with them. Modern reviewers are put off by the die-and-start-over penalties, instant-death spikes, uneven difficulty curves, and the occasional unbalanced weapon--all of which are virtually necessities if you want the classic Mega Man experience at all. Example:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/27/mighty-no-9-pc-review/

If it wasn't bashing the game for doing what Mega Man needs to do to be Mega Man, this would actually be a fair review. But it's basically impossible to find a truly fair assessment of the game, from someone who doesn't expect it to be something it's not.

Comcept needs to build a good demo because the only way past the bullshit is to just try the game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Wow, so there are still backers that have yet to receive their copy of the game. WTF?

10. flamepanther

The Humble Bundle store is responsible for the game codes, so I'm surprised to see them having so much trouble.

11. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Finished it. Really enjoyed it. I don't get the hate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got this game for Christmas & I'm currently getting trashed by the final boss. Getting close to beating it, but not quite there yet. But having played through most of the main game, I can finally weigh in on it.

Simply put, it's a fun, solid game. Gameplay is fun, it's just different enough from Megaman to be its own thing, & challenging enough without making you want to rip your hair out. Most levels have had 1 spot that I kept dying on before finally overcoming them. I especially love getting to see the other Mighty Numbers interact with Beck & each other after being rescued. That's something we never saw in any Megaman game outside of maybe MM: Powered Up.
    I haven't even gotten to all the optional challenges. There's a good amount of content here for what you pay. The game comes in 3 different spoken languages & features a retro bit-tune soundtrack that you can toggle on & off.

I have experienced some clipping here & there, where the screen suddenly skips ahead a few frames. That really throws me off, when I'm dashing around. But it's a minor glitch & hasn't stopped me from enjoying the experience.

If I had to give MN9 a score, it'd be a B+ or an A-. It's good. A patch to fix the clipping would be nice. But in my opinion, it's right up there with most of the Megaman series (and I've played all of the classic & X series).

• Like Like x 4
  13. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Every indy game that doesn't get its Kickstarter funded should thank the bunglers at Comcept.

I still don't have my 3DS game, physical box, art book, or USB key and those assholes just keep passing the buck. Inafune should've named his company 88MPH and saved me alot of grief.

How the hell were they planning on distributing the 3DS version anyway? Assuming this wasn't just a confidence game all along of course.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. Venixion

News Credits:

It has slowdown flaws but they can be worked around, though we shouldn't have had to. I enjoy it and I wouldn't mind a new Mighty No. 9 game. Its not the best, but its not terrible. I'm surprised Yooka-laylee and Bloodstained aren't getting the same flack for delays that Mighty did.

15. Venixion

News Credits:

I thought it was supposed to be on the eshop?

16. RKillian

News Credits:
    I wouldn't know. At some point, they "somehow" removed a number of backers from their yet-another-delay-because-drama spam list. I actually forgot about it until I was in Philadelphia on jury duty and saw the XBox version on clearance at the GameStop next to the train station. Not interested in the game anymore but I don't like having $90 stolen from me.

If the stories about them reducing features on consoles to accommodate handheld limitations are true, the 3DS version should've been done a long time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Venixion

News Credits:

Did you open up a case? At least try and get your money back.

18. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think all I got so far from them was the goddamn T shirt.

I should've just waited and bought the retail version, but I wanted to help creators of games past that I greatly appreciated. Well, no more. They've lost any of my future support from me. Fuck 'em.

My experience with them also swore me off supporting any other video game kickstarters even if they were by renowned groups and individuals.

Now I only support toy kickstarters because if you don't have your shit together with those then they either happen or don't. Plus, most toy kickstarters are usually done by already established and running toy companies that just want to fund something new they normally wouldn't go in funding alone.

19. RKillian

News Credits:
    I backed this Kickstarter project 3 years ago. The chargeback period for most credit card companies is 6 months.

FanGamer, the company that was supposed to handle all of the physical rewards outside of the game itself (boxes, USB keys, art books, etc), keeps blaming Comcept for not delivering "assets." This has been their story as far back as June 2016. It's pretty clear that either Comcept has no intention of delivering those assets or FanGamer has no intention of delivering the physical products.

Every day this goes on, I kick myself for not starting a Kickstarter. Seems like a great way to steal tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  20. Venixion

News Credits:

Yeah but isn't there some claus stating that if they haven't delivered, you have a right to a refund? They haven't delivered the 3DS version which you backed. Couldn't hurt to try. Good luck. :hug: