Mighty No. 9 by Keiji Inafune

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Valkysas, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another IGN criticism- the story sucks.

Yeah, well aside from a brief intro & ending, most of the Megaman games have never had a story.

Someone say "Burn to the ground?"

I can't judge the gameplay & feel of the game until I play it, but a lot of the negatives they assign to this game are things most all MM games are guilty of. The gameplay is what I care about most. And maybe it is broken, but if not- if it's solid & they're just being unreasonably harsh because it's trendy to hate on Mighty No. 9, then screw 'em.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, good or bad we'll find out tomorrow.

It had better be good, though. I'm gonna be sacrificing a few hours of Overwatch time playing this :lol .

3. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the other problem with Jim. He's a SJW nut. I'd say more but that apparently falls under the "no politics" rule or something.

4. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

Did I?

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm fine with people having their political views, but Sterling doesn't even have those beliefs. He used to be rather crude and a bit sexist until he realized that the people who were giving on his paetron had those beliefs.

Anyhow, who wants to bet that this ends up free for PS+ within a year?

6. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

:lol 

7. TaurusOxford

TaurusOxford Well-Known Member

He didn't complain about Link being a guy in BoW. He complained because Aonuma's reasoning for why Link can't be a female is the stupidest fucking thing ever.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I may not have backed the game or anything, but from all the videos, explanation, gameplay, etc I've seen of Mighty No. 9 I've seen, most of the complaints some of you guys are brushing off as petty nitpicks and nags are 100% legit issues that games these days shouldn't even be dealing with.

The game fails to inform or teach players about abilities they have and can use. While it does show you how to dash and shoot, other things you can and will need to do, such as setting abilities in a separate menu, are completely ignored. The game DOES have all that info, but it's all stored in a sub-menu in the options. Not exactly ideal.

The gameplay looks drab. The dash mechanic and controls work fine and the ability to dash through enemies to gain abilities is nifty and interesting, but watching an encounter with a mini-boss in a later level also showed how unfairly some of these encounters are. You can't dash upwards, you can't shoot upwards, and yet some of these bosses and mini-bosses could get stunned into a dash-able state in a position you can't reach. One mini-boss in particular, while easy to deal with, also expected you to dodge vertical and horizontal projectiles while dealing with ice physics on the floor. Mega-Man games are designed to be hard, but this takes multi-tasking to almost unfair levels at some points.

The story sucking is a problem because this game actually ATTEMPTED to try and give itself some kind of lore. There's voice-acting, exposition, cutscenes, etc that are meant to set up and flesh out the world of Mighty No. 9. If it sucks, that means a majority of players won't care about the world they're playing in/won't care about who they're playing. And if it's that bad, then it shouldn't have been implemented to begin with. The bad voice acting only further hinders their attempt at building a world.

This isn't people beating on the game because it's cool to hate on Mighty No. 9, it's people being legit angry and disappointed at the game because it's literally full of empty promises. At this point in its history, even a middle-of-the-road score would be completely damning to both the game and Inafune.

9. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Yes well, not all of us enjoy ingame tutorials crammed down our throats thank you very much. Believe it or not it doesn't take rocket science to figure out the simple mechanics of a run n gun.

Other Mega Man games have had spectacularly bad Voice Acting. I've never played most of the X series but even I've heard about Tornado Tonion and Flame Hyenard.

Plus I heard somewhere that there was an option to switch to Japanese acting if the American one made your ears bleed.

MN9's story is as samey and simple as every main Mega Man it doesn't really matter.

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    HA! This game is getting poor reviews? No ****!! I don't think anyone is surprised by a game that was constantly being pushed back because the people behind it had no idea what the fuck they were doing is getting bad reviews.

This game is the reason I will never support a video game Kickstarter.

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Uh what? Jim Sterling is NO SJW. Do you even watch his videos?

12. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Are you sure?
    Because if this game is basically Mega Man in everything but name, why would people be consistently bringing up this problem?
    Mega Man is run and gun in it's purest form. This doesn't have anything to do with over tutorializing because it assumes gamers are dumb. Most players were well aware of how to access their other powers in the classic Mega Man games without Roll or Light pausing the game and giving them a walkthrough.

Yet, the game not telling players what they can do is one of the few complaints I've seen brought up in multiple reviews. I think it's an actual problem, and not just haters looking for something to shit on.

13. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even if I end up really liking this, it would probably need to be a special occasion for me to back another game.

Something from Yacht Club would probably do it.

EDIT: Looks like the backer keys are on their way out.

EDIT 2: Got my code and downloading. I'm probably gonna download the game and DLC now, then play when I get up before I go to work. I wonder if I can beat it before I have to leave? I guess we'll see if I still have what it takes :lol .

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It also got an extremely high score from Famitsu.

One game you aren't happy about seem like a silly reason. There have been plenty of good games that have come from crowdfunding.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Except it didn't, 30/40 is pretty much thier equivilent of 7/10 in western scores.

But yeah, plenty of kickstarted games have delivered and thiers no reason to not back anything you was otherwise intending to just because of Inafune's bullshit.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I really hate this modern mentality that a 7/10 is somehow a bad thing.

17. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He didn't say it was. It's not an extremely high score, either.

18. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Morning.

Did you have your breakfast with Mno9 yet?

19. Partsformer

Partsformer To Far Away Times

Twitter:
    Voice acting and graphical deficiencies aside, I'm watching some level play-through and it just doesn't look that bad to me. Those videos make me want to play it. I've read several high profile reviews and understand what they're saying but... I dunno. I guess I'll wait till it's bargain bin or GWG before I pick it up.

20. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Interesting words from Inafune on the game.

This in particular caught my eye.

How can anybody think that this is an acceptable approach to game development? I guess I can understand that attitude if he ran out of cash - but then I have to wonder; how can you burn through so much money for what is such a straight forward concept?

The mind boggles.