Non-TF: Micronauts Repaints

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by 8bitboy, Nov 9, 2018.

1. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Hello All,

So I purchased the 2017 SDCC Revolution Box Set earlier this year and sometime later I bought an extra set of Micronauts from the aftermarket just to get an extra Betatron and Gammatron to beef up Baron Karza's posse. As you may be aware, the original set came with 9 Micronaut minis but only three of them are noted to be on the side of evil, while the others are positioned as being on the side of good.

I wasn't satisfied simply owning extra versions of the other characters so I contemplated painting them. I've never painted a figure before so this lead me down the rabbit hole of customizing. It took a little over a month to plan, prepare and complete them and here they are. All paints used were from the Tamiya brand.

Many apologies for the horrible cell phone pictures.

[​IMG]

From left to right, are Membros, Commander Raith, Larissa, Phobos, Oziron Rael, Antron and Force Commander

I chose to base the designs on characters existing in either toy form or the IDW canon with creative liberties taken in one or two instances.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I chose to base Oziron Rael on his very first appearance as it's closer in colour and tone to the vintage grey Pharoid Micronauts figure. These are not his usual colours and I never liked his usual colours anyway. His base figure is a slightly modified Quin-Tillus mini from the SDCC Revolution Box Set 2017.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next is the Galactic Defender, Larissa! She's entirely based on her comic book appearance. The line work and modifying was a nightmare but somehow I managed a win. She looks a lot better in person than in images. Her base figure is a heavily modified Phenolo-Phi mini from the same set.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here, we have Commander Raith. He's a repaint and very slight mod based on his comic book appearance with some inspiration taken from the green Acroyear action figure due to the figurine having wings. His base figure is Acroyear.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Phobos is in the comics but I don't have any image of him. I mostly followed the lead of the toy on this one because I chose to make him a simple repaint without bothering with any modding. His base figure is Biotron.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Membros, Karza's sinister interrogator, is based on his comic book appearance more so than from the toy. I feel like this repaint and heavy modification is not my best for the character and I plan to revisit him when I find the time. He doesn't look close enough to his comic book counterpart in my opinion. His base figure is Xant. Any suggestions on improving Membros, I'd love to know!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Force Commander is mostly based on the old Micronauts action figure and not so much his IDW counterpart despite featuring him here. In the IDW comics, he's called Baron Daegon and, in Marvel, his real name is Argon. He's a simple repaint. His base figure is Baron Karza.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Antron, the ninja-like assassin, is based on this particular appearance in the IDW comics. I didn't like Xant's brown colouring, so I went with the IDW and toy look of Antron instead. He's a basic repaint. His base figure is Xant.

[​IMG]

Micronauts together! They aren't complete without Microtron however. I'll figure out a way to make a Microtron at some point. Still it's good having two more major players that should have been on the team in the first place.

[​IMG]

Here's Baron Karza's Ministry of War! All this started because I wanted an extra Betatron and Gammatron. Looking great though.

[​IMG]

Finally, the remaining Micronauts made up of two characters who don't make a either a comic book or toy appearance. On the far left is Oberon and on the far right is Quin-Tillus. At least where my head canon is involved, they'll make for a cool team together!

Hope you like this and thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work on making the repaints more comic accurate.

• Like Like x 1