Micron Legend MD-06 Shockwave - did I overpay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sammael, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I've been wanting to get Armada Tidal Wave in some form for a few months now, but I only learned about his Micron Legend counterpart (with a different - IMO cleaner - paint job) about a month ago. Ever since, I've been trying to track one down and about a week ago, I found one on BBTS. It was MIB and complete, though the box was obviously opened (since they rated it at 75% or so). But since I don't really care about boxes, I broke down and ordered it. For $60 plus $38.24 Global Express Mail shipping (regular shipping was only about $5 cheaper).

So my question now is... did I overpay? I felt guilty as soon as I placed the order, which is why I only made my PayPal payment a few moments ago. A hundred bucks is not a negligible amount of money (even at the current exchange rate), but I didn't want to miss the opportunity, since I haven't seen a single MD-06 go on sale anywhere else in this time period - and there weren't any in eBay completed listings, either. I know I could have gotten a regular Armada Tidal Wave loose for about $30 plus shipping on Junkion Exchange here, so I guess I paid $30 more. But the item is boxed. And Japanese. Damn. I'm looking for some validation here, guys... :eek: 

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Personally, I wouldn't have payed that much for it (I really don't like spending upwards of a 100 bucks on toys, which is why I don't collect vintage)..I'd have just gone for the cheaper one.

3. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

If you wanted it badly enough, and you're okay with the $100 price tag, then you're golden dude. I know I have toys I've spent quite a bit on and people would and have told me I'm crazy to spend so much on toys, but I don't care, cause I think they're worth it. I'm responsible with my money, and this hobby is what on which I've chosen to spend what I do spend. I do it guilt free and I endorse the attitude! Enjoy your moment dude, the search is over! Time to rejoice!

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you are happy with it, why not? The box is very pretty and the paint job is very different from Armada one.
    If anything I'd worry about the shipping BBTS charges, but it doesn't sound like too different from the other quote you got. The guy is heavy anyway.

When there's a thread like this there's often someone coming in and say "hehe I got mine for 'insert significantly cheaper amount'", but as has been said, if you are happy, that's all it matters. Congrats!

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    ive got every version of tidal wave, and that color scheme is just bloody awesome..i think i paid somewhere around 50-60 shipped for mine brand new when it came out, so only paying that little bit more to get it shipped to you, id say its a pretty awesome deal. and if you had the 100 to blow on it, its worth it....now, if you didnt and youre not gonna be able to pay rent this month, then you mighta made a mistake...but you're probably in the green, so its all good.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Well, I'll say congrats!

I look on and off for him, but honestly it's mostly a passing fancy for him due to the color scheme. I got Tidal Wave ages ago, and have been pleased with him.

7. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I was contemplating the same thing 3 or 4 months ago so I broke down and got the Japanese version because I love the purple paint job more and matches more cleanly with Megs when in combined mode.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I heard from a Korean shop dealer that Sonokong is re-releasing ML Shockwave for a much cheaper price...

9. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I got the Jap one too and you just reminded me that he combines with the Armada Megs mold. Glad I have the OFTCC Mega Zarak to combine with :D 

Thanks for dropping that pic kenm2474

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I don't remember how much I paid for mine, but it couldn't have been much over 30 bucks. Either way, I saw him on ebay and noticed that MD-06 goes for about as much as the Hasbro version these days...

Also, is that ML or Armada Megatron?

11. kenm2474

^^^^Hes Armada Megs

12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    The price you paid seems to be about consistant with the secondary market value of the toy. Remember, BBTS is always 10-20 percent higher in their costs on vintage stuff, especially when their stock is low.

I mean, you paid $60 for the toy. The shipping charges are what they are, there isn't much way around that.

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I got the ML version, but mostly because I noticed upon my shopping for him that he was a rare case of the Takara version being cheaper. ML Megs was like under 30 bucks while the Hasbro one was almost 60. The hell?

14. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

Got mine from ebay at £15 quite a while ago. Yep as usual Japan puts more effort into their toys, great paint job.

15. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Agreed.

16. kenm2474

I forgot to mention the price I paid for the Japanese Tidal Wave. Its been a while but I think it was around $80.00 shipped. My Armada Megs I bought used in great condition for $25.00 shipped.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'd say a toy is worth as much as you're willing to pay for it. Congrats man!

I wouldn't consider different colored paint 'more effort'.

18. kenm2474

If you have been collecting TFs for sometime now Judging from your post count and number of your collection you should know the differences in Armada Megatron and Micron Legend Megs in that ML Megs paint is a cleaner look on his Decepticon Symbols on his shoulders and that they are always closer to the paint scheme of the Cartoon or comic. But the Japan lines are cleaner than the American releases for some odd reason. But they do put More effort in the application of the paint than we do unfortunately.

19. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:

Yes, that't exactly what I was to write.

If you finally got a figure you wanted, and you are really happy when you see it everyday, there's nothing to worry.

I paid a hell-uva for my Japanese Black Convoy by the times the prices used to go crazy... but everytime I see him, I am more than satified.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Excellent!

Already have the JPN Superlink Tidal Wave, and he's awesome.