Micromaster scale thought/question...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by artiepants, Jan 15, 2019.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    So, Micromasters ended up being "tiny transformers" that interacted at essentially human scale with the larger 'bots, but recently i got to thinking... when they were being developed, do you think that's what Hasbro had i mind, or do you think they were supposed to be tiny representations of full size Transformers ala WST or when they do Legends class of larger characters like OP and Megatron.

I mean, as a kid and today, i always thought of them in the former, but not I'm leaning towards it was intended as the latter. what got me thinking that way was the bases, and how they turned from buildings that would be meant as part of a "real" city into their battle stations.

Plus they were specifically designed as a response to Micro Machines, which were obviously meant as tiny representations of real world vehicles...

Makes me wonder what the impression would have been if they had included some of the iconic characters in there (and honestly, surprised they didn't... they didn't dip that well as often as they do in the modern era, but we still had PM Prime, Goldbug and the Pretender Classics)

But then you have them having the -Master suffix, which in Transformers lexicon had come to be synonymous with human sized bots and the overall aesthetic of their bodies seemed similar to the look of the Head/Target/Powermaster bodies...

(also as a flip to this, as a kid - and because of the comics - i always assumed the Pretenders were standard Transformer scale, when as an adult i realized the concept makes a lot more sense if they are "human" scale, so in 88 you have Pretenders which realistically probably should have been tiny and Micromasters which should have been full size)

thank you for reading my random musings, i look forward to your thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat That's what you say when someone kicks the...

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So I didn't grow up "G1". Even though I'm 30, UT was my transformers. Seeing the new micro masters gives me more of the mini-con feel to be honest. Which in my mind, that makes their sizes justified as mini-cons have their own lore. Plus since the belly button screws on the race patrol are 5mm, they fit perfectly on CW armada megs which solidifies I even more so for me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

In the fictional context, I've always thought of Micromasters as mass-shifters in the opposite direction, being regular sized vehicles and human-sized 'bots. If Transformers were actually a real thing, it would make sense; I'm sure massive robots walking around would be hell on public infrastructure! Obviously they were a response to Micro Machines, that's just how I would imagine things in reality (I mean, since they already had mass-shifting tech 'n' all).

• Like Like x 1
  4. artiepants

News Credits:
    there was a cool manga i saw online yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaarrrs ago that i believe was a fan production, but IIRC was executed at an extremely professional level (it may have been from a Japanese magazine and it was fan translated?) that was a G1//G2 bridge and that was exactly how they handled the Micromasters. Perhaps someone will know what i'm talking about and link it.

5. artiepants

News Credits:
    well you have exceptional taste in avatars!!! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat That's what you say when someone kicks the...

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Thanks. My first figure was a cybertron smokescreen and through him I've grown to love all iterations. The G1 has become the staple of him for me but that cybertron version will always be "top shelf".

• Like Like x 2
  7. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...initially they were designed as a micro-scale collection of normal-sized transformers, but then the first commercials overlaid a human-scale optimus prime playing with them as micromachine-size toys, and the fiction followed suit by extrapolating micromasters as human-scale cybertronians amongst a giant (normal) population, as an energy-saving measure...

...takara eventually introduced micromaster versions of a couple of iconic characters, namely convoy and hot rod, so really it's all a terribly inconsistent mess...in my collection, they're normal-sized robots who happen to have smaller toys, so i ignore the scale inconsistency just like we did with the G1 toys...

• Like Like x 2
  8. artiepants

News Credits:
    Smokescreen is my favorite going back to G1, loved the deco and his sketchy personality. That's about the best piece of artwork of him ever done too. (although he might have had the best G1 box art too!)

• Like Like x 1
  9. artiepants

News Credits:
    there was a MM Convoy? i have Hot Rod from the Star Convoy reissue, but i didn't know there was a Convoy...

10. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I first grabbed my first ones back in the day (Air Strike and Race Car) they were a complete surprise. They had no commercials yet. They weren’t in the comics yet. They really had nothing but the bio on the back.

I always treated them as Nebulons that had vehicle modes instead of head or weapon or engine modes. The Race Car patrol especially reminded me of the Headmaster characters with the arm panels and such. Obviously the bios didn’t correspond to that or the comics when they appeared, but I still can’t help but wonder if they were originally envisioned as Nebulons bio engineered into Transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  11. artiepants

News Credits:
    yeah, that's what i was trying to get at, agreed. if nothing else they were the same design language.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    The original 80s toys were created as Hasbro's response to the huge popularity of the Micro Machines line.

Otherwise, their media representations are all over the place. The most common size is roughly the same as the average G1 Mini-bot, like Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 1
  13. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...no there wasn't, my mistake: i conflated micromaster hot rod (bundled with star convoy) with WST hot rod (bundled with hybrid style convoy) and somehow that equated WST convoy with a micromaster figure in my mind, by association...

• Like Like x 2
  14. artiepants

News Credits:
    LOL, nice!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    This. I never mixed Micromasters and regular bots. I wish they had released a Micromaster Optimus and Megatron. But I used Overload as a stand-in for Optimus.

Also this. It was quite obvious, that Hasbro was just trying to ride the Micro Machines hype train. Others followed with Polly Pocket and Mighty Max.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

In fiction they were more human-sized TFs. If you can call characters like Marvel's Hulk or the Thing "human sized". Because MM's were still much larger and bulkier than a human.

But I think that the toys were designed as a micro representation of regular TFs and only then the commercials and the fiction came.

But yeah, in-universe Micromasters were reverse mass-shifters.

• Like Like x 2
  17. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Considering Micromasters were sold alongside the much larger Action Masters (and today turn into weapons for "regular" bots) I would say they were always intended as mini bots.

18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I grew up on the Marvel UK comic. When the Rescue Patrol are first introduced in the U.S. strip, Red Hot is seen as a huge Transformer scale fire engine.

During the battle that woke Primus, Seawatch tows Bludgeon in boat mode and he's an Earthen scale boat.

Though it's never stated, I've no problem with mass shifting in both cases.

Though the Pretenders were shown to be Transformer size in the Marvel comics, between seeing them in the Masterforce cartoon and the tiny POTP figures, I'm happy to go with mass shifting for Pretenders too and allow for it retroactively in the G1 comics.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Vehicle modes are the same size as regular Earth vehicles but they transform into smaller robots.

Personally, I’d rather reduce mass shifting in fiction so that the vehicle modes are still the same size as real life vehicle modes regardless of the toys physical size class, and they don’t shrink or enlarge when transforming to robot mode. The only exceptions are the household objects like guns, cassette players, microscopes and cameras. And also when vehicles of extremely different sizes combine to form a robot such as Bruticus.

20. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    That still makes quite a few exceptions.