Micromaster Appreciation Thread (G1, Universe, WFC)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Diamondback, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
    With seemingly every other line having its own thread, it seems appropriate to toss up a discussion for these miniature Transformers, from the first 1989 G1's through Energon, Universe and into WFC--I'm not sure whether or not to include the conceptually similar Mini-Cons, but that's a question I'll let the community sort out.

So, let's talk.
    • What features of G1 do we want to see return in WFC? What do we want to leave dead-and-buried in the past?
    • What has Hasbro done right so far with these guys? What could they do better?
    • If "stand-alone" Micromaster Bases and Transports are officially dead and they insist on this bullshit forcing "fullsize bots and MM partners" like replacing Countdown's rocket base with Omega Supreme, what all bigger bots would have alt-modes similar to the G1 bases that might be good fits for similar co-packs?
    Just for a few discussion starters... Personally, some things I'd like to see:
    • Since Hasbro has to get at least two uses out of each major sculpt (minor retools still allow much reuse of existing tooling), co-sculpt Tidal Wave and Broadside. Dump Broadside's jet mode, replace Armada Ramjet with Flattop, and give each of these bots enough hangar-deck room to store a half-dozen MM jets or so. Maybe have the landing-craft components, if this is done as a "Dark Fleet" combiner like old-school TW, sized to take two combiners or four regular MM's.
    • Groundshaker and Skyhopper are already done by the Target 10-pack... who would be good Autobot APC and Decepticon chopper bots to Triple Changer-ize into their bases?
    • Similarly, is there a large Decepticon spacecraft-bot who could be partnered with Skystalker and TC'ed to replace his shuttle/base? The only Decepticon space shuttles I recall are Astrotrain and Vortex... this might be an opportunity to double-tool with an expanded Galaxy Shuttle. (Personally I'd REALLY like it if this came with an update of G1 Countdown's crawler, but that may be just me...)
    • I'm assuming Brawl is spoken for by the Combaticons, who else would be a good tank/SPAAG platform to pair with combiners Blackout & Spaceshot? Similarly, with Prime and Magnus off the table, what's left as a Bot-to-Semi-to-Base for Full-Barrel & Overflow?

Just to recap where we are catching Siege up to G1... Siege-issued bots in bold green for patrols, italic bold for Target 10-pack. (Siege renames underlined, Bots that have had faction changes or are missing teammates.) Things that have failed to impress in bold red. Orange are team-changes or missing combiner partners, or similar.
    1. Completely New Characters or imports from Japanese storylines
      1. Autobots - Ricon, Road Police, Overair
      2. Decepticons - Cratermaker, Fireline
    2. Regular Patrols
      1. Autobots
        1. 1989 Off Road Patrol - Highjump, Mudslinger, Powertrain, and Tote
        2. 1989 Race Car Patrol - Tailspin, Free Wheeler, Roadhandler, and Swindler
        3. 1989 Rescue Patrol - Seawatch, Stakeout, Fixit, and Red Hot (Red Heat)
        4. 1989 Battle Patrol - Big Shot (Topshot), Sidetrack, Sunrunner, and Flak
        5. 1990 Construction Patrol - Neutro, Groundpounder, Crumble, and Takedown
        6. 1990 Air Patrol (Sky High, Eagle Eye, Blaze Master, and Tread Bolt)
        7. 1990 Monster Truck Patrol (Hydraulic, Slow Poke, Big Hauler, and Heavy Tread)
        8. 1990 Hot Rod Patrol (Big Daddy, Trip-Up, Greaser, and Hubs)
      2. Decepticons
        1. 1989 Air Strike Patrol - Nightflight, Storm Cloud, Whisper (Visper), and Tailwind
        2. 1989 Sports Car Patrol - Detour, Blackjack, Hyperdrive, and Road Hugger
        3. 1990 Race Track Patrol (Roller Force, Barricade, Ground Hog, and Motorhead)
        4. 1990 Military Patrol (Bombshock, Tracer, Dropshot, and Growl)
    3. 1989 Transports
      1. Autobots
        1. Erector & Crane Trailer/Battle Station
        2. Overload & Car Carrier Trailer/Jet
      2. Deceptions
        1. Flattop & Aircraft Carrier/Jet
        2. Roughstuff & Cannon Trailer/Jet
    4. 1989 Stations
      1. Autobots
        1. Hot House & Fire Station
        2. Ironworks (Irontread) & Construction Site
      2. Decepticons
        1. Greasepit & Gas Station
        2. Airwave (Overair; also changed teams) & Airport
    5. 1989 Vehicle/Bases
      1. Autobots
        1. APC with Groundshaker
        2. Mobile Rocket Launcher/Base (Omega Supreme) with Countdown
      2. Decepticons
        1. Attack Helicopter with Skyhopper (Slyhopper)
        2. Interstellar Shuttle with Skystalker
    6. 1990 Combiner Squads
      1. Autobots
        1. Metro Squad - Power Run & Strikedown/Hovercraft, Oiler & Slide/Tanker Truck, Wheel Blaze (non-combiner now) & Roadburner/Cherrypicker
        2. Astro Squad - Barrage & Heave/Radar Truck, Moonrock & Missile Master/Rocket Launcher, Phaser & Blast Master/Space Shuttle
      2. Decepticons
        1. Battle Squad - Fireshot & Vanquish/SR-71 Blackbird, Meltdown & Half-Track/AA gun-truck, Direct-Hit & Power Punch/Cannon Transport
        2. Constructor Squad - Stonecruncher & Excavator/Crane Truck, Grit & Knockout/Backhoe Truck, Sledge & Hammer/Dumptruck
    7. Combiner Transports
      1. Autobots - Missile Launcher with Retro & Surge/crane truck, Tanker Truck with Pipeline & Gusher/backhoe truck
      2. Deceptions - Cannon Transport with Terror Tread & Cement-Head/Dumptruck
    8. Combiner Bases
      1. Autobot Battlefield HQ/Tractor-Trailer with Full-Barrel & Overflow/Tractor-Trailer
      2. Decepticon Anti-Aircraft Base/Gepard SPAAG with Blackout & Spaceshot/B-1B Lancer
      3. unreleased Armored Personnel Carrier/Base/Storage Case
    9. Miscellaneous from Japan (virtually all Autobots)
      1. Battlestars
        1. Star Convoy with Hot Rod
        2. Sky Garry with Shotbomber
        3. Grandus with Spinner
      2. Galaxy Shuttle
    10. Micro Gestalts
      1. Japanese Sixteams
        1. Autobot Sixliner - trains
        2. Autobot Sixtrain/Rail Racer - more trains
        3. Autobot Sixturbo - emergency vehicles and two racecars - Road Police
        4. Autobot/Decepticon Sixwing
        5. Autobot Sixbuilder
        6. Decepticon Sixbuilder aka "Mini-Me Devastator"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to see Omega Supreme repainted as the Omega Sentinel. The blue tank would homage Groundshaker's tank.

I'd also love to see Omega Supreme retooled as Astrotrain.

Personally I'd prefer to see Mini-cons get a separate thread. The Micromasters had the classic G1 look but the Mini-cons were very generic looking.

So far, the Siege Micromasters have for the most part, been very nice updates. I'm loving Whisper and I'm glad to see Powertrain, Ironworks and Power Punch updated because the originals had terrible arms.

Flak's robot mode is nice but I prefer the vehicle mode of the G1 toy.
    The only Siege Micromasters I don't like so far, are Big Shot and Roadhandler with their scrunched up faces.

It's also great to see new Micromaster characters like the blue repaint of Flak. I wouldn't mind some left field stuff where maybe one of them gets repainted as a pre existing character but not one who's been a Micromaster. Maybe Whisper as Windsweeper.

3. Diamondback

News Credits:
    One other thing to note that's apparently dead but I wish they woulda kept: the "portability factor"--like Micro Machines, the G1 MM's packed a surprising amount of action into a very small, on-the-go-friendly format well suited for taking on the road or tucking into a backpack/duffel/etc. Even the two biggest bases did this well, the small parts were the biggest problem. As I said in another thread, G1 MM Bases/Stations would have made almost *perfect* deskbots if that had been a thing in '89-'90.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could see Skystalker being packed in with Scorponok as a nice little bonus.

Blue repaint actually is a very obscure homage, as is his partner:
    Powerbomb - Transformers Wiki

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019
  5. Devil Prime

Devil Prime Well-Known Member

I would like a titan class Grandus

• Like Like x 2
  6. GoldDeadEnd

News Credits:
    They could do so much cool stuff with his base mode if they keep him blocky and have actual work stations and such inside.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Devil Prime

Right? I really hope they keep the micromasters going for the entire WFC line and add more interaction with the larger (leader and up) figures.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GoldDeadEnd

News Credits:
    Yep. And as much as I love my Titans I want bases to have a reason for smaller guys to be there. Gun emplacements are fine for defense. But what are they doing standing around to begin with? Especially when headquarters turns into a vehicle. Give me data centers, med bays, jails, whathaveya

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diamondback

News Credits:
    I'm gonna be a bit of a contrarian and go full "MUH GEEWUN!!!" here... I know that some of you guys think "the bigger the better" and I don't begrudge you your new toys too, but... well, G1 MM's didn't really fit together in any way with the bigger "main line" figures, so they developed their own play patterns. I don't think Omega Supreme will do well as a deskbot, but the Classic Countdown Crawler could have worked with either a big, L-shaped "corner" desk or a little care in setup.

But yeah, I totally get @GoldDeadEnd 's point too--are these guys fighting just for the sake of fighting, or is there some High Value Target in the citybot base they're trying to protect? "an eternal war because it's gone so long it's all they know how to do" gets kinda stale as a story...

Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Devil Prime

Oh I would love the old bases and transports but I don’t think it’s something hasbro would do.

11. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

Wheel Blaze being using the Red Heat mold saddened me. That basically puts Roadburner out of the picture. All in all, I wanted the non-redecos in the G1 line to have as unique molds as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Diamondback

News Credits:
    Well, Hasbro won't know what people want unless we TELL 'em, of course that's assuming they care rather than "we make what WE want to, now suck it down and buy our crap you pissant prole."

13. Devil Prime

If they cared what I wanted I’d have a full set of beast wars generations figures by now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Diamondback

News Credits:
    Yeah, I hear ya... if they cared what I wanted they'd have stuck to "accurate-ish likeness of specific item" altmodes for anything set on Earth rather than freelance it.

Here's hoping they do better with the "Post-Landing" line... outside of MM's, Tiny Turbo and Botbots the only things I buy are Studio Series planebots. (NOT Cracker/Nitro/KSI Boss, that bird is a made-up bastardization.)

15. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I looooove me some Micromasters, although I was disappointed in the feel of the Siege ones I handled. Originals still work a charm for me, though:

Ton of Micromaster pics incoming:
    AstroSquad01.jpg AstroSquad02.jpg AstroSquad03.jpg BattleSquad01.jpg BattleSquad02.jpg Fearless.jpg MMHotrod01.jpg MMHotrod02.jpg Sixbuilder01.jpg Sixbuilder02.jpg Sixbuilder03.jpg Sixtrain01.jpg Sixtrain02.jpg Sixtrain03.jpg SixtrainRed02.jpg SixtrainRed03.jpg SixtrainRed04.jpg Sixturbo01.jpg Sixturbo02.jpg Sixturbo03.jpg SixturboBlack01.jpg SixturboBlack02.jpg SixturboBlack03.jpg Sixwing01.jpg Sixwing02.jpg Sixwing03.jpg SixwingWhite01.jpg SixwingWhite02.jpg SixwingWhite03.jpg SuperionMM01.jpg SuperionMM02.jpg SuperionMM03.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 15
  16. Diamondback

News Credits:
    Dude, don't remind me how much I miss my G1's and wish I could have 'em all back... along with the heads of the vermin who stole it all mounted over my door as a warning to other would-be thieving garbage.

17. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
  19. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    its a vintage bootleg of the MM Hot Rodimus that came with Star Convoy!

All the best
    Maz

20. Diamondback

News Credits:
    I've added the list of G1's (not including the Japan additions or combiners) to the OP, so we can size things up.

Before we get into suggestions for filling out the teams, we could start by seeing who all shared sculpts in G1... though that train's already off the rails, it might at least give some ideas. Bots with existing WFC sculpts in bold. Bots are in "team colors."

• Cars/Light Ground Vehicles
      • Pontiac Firebird: Roadhandler (Racecar Patrol)
      • Lamborghini Countach: Freewheeler (Racecar Patrol)
      • DeLorean: Swindler (Racecar Patrol)
      • Porsche 962: Tailspin (Racecar Patrol)
      • Ford Probe: Blackjack (Sportscar Patrol)
      • Chevy Corvette Indy: Detour (Sportscar Patrol)
      • Mitsubishi X2S Concept: Hyperdrive (Sportscar Patrol)
      • Ferrari 408 Integrale: Roadhugger (Sportscar Patrol)
      • Ford Taurus: Stakeout (Rescue Patrol)
      • Boeing Lunar Rover: Countdown
      • Porsche 959: Skystalker
      • Ligier JS31: Barricade (Racetrack Patrol)
      • Dodge Shelby Charger: Ground Hog (Racetrack Patrol)
      • Dune buggy: Roller Force (Racetrack Patrol)
      • Chevy Corvette Callaway: Motorhead (Racetrack Patrol)
    • Trucks/Heavy Ground Vehicles
      • Longnose semi: Powertrain (Offroad Patrol), Ironworks
      • Camper Truck: Highjump (Offroad Patrol)
      • Van: Tote (Offroad Patrol)
      • Monster Truck: Mudslinger (Offroad Patrol), Greasepit
      • Ambulance, could be done as Tote redeco: Fixit (Rescue Patrol)
      • Boat: Seawatch (Rescue Patrol)
      • Fire Truck: Red Hot (Rescue Patrol)
      • Cement Mixer: Takedown (Construction Patrol)
      • Crane Truck: Crumble (Construction Patrol)
      • Front-End Loader: Groundpounder (Construction Patrol)
      • Bulldozer: Neutro (Construction Patrol)
      • Ford Bronco: Hydraulic (Monster Truck Patrol)
    • Military Ground Vehicles
      • Denel G-6 SPG: Big Shot (Battle Patrol)
      • Buratino MLRS: Flak (Battle Patrol)
      • Roland AA vehicle: Sidetrack (Battle Patrol)
      • Leopard 2 MBT: Bombshock (Military Patrol)
      • Generic Personnel Carrier: Dropshot (Military Patrol)
      • FMC XR311 scout car: Growl (Military Patrol)
    • Planes
      • A-10 Warthog: Tailwind (Air Strike Patrol), Hot House
      • F-14 Tomcat: Nightflight (Air Strike Patrol), Airwave
      • Rafale: Storm Cloud (Air Strike Patrol), Skyhopper
      • "Stealth Fighter": Whisper (Air Strike Patrol), Groundshaker
      • C-2 Greyhound: Sunrunner (Battle Patrol)
      • AH-64 Apache helicopter: Tracer (Military Patrol)
      • Super Frelon (NOT Pave Low, TFWiki is WRONG!) helicopter: Blaze Master (Air Patrol)
      • F-18 Hornet: Eagle Eye (Air Patrol)
      • Northrop ATB concept (NOT B-2!): Tread Bolt (Air Patrol)
      • Concorde SST: Sky High (Air Patrol)
      • F-4 Phantom: Flattop

Obvious observations...
    • Air Strike Patrol: With Nightflight being a Target exclusive, that means they either have no plan to complete the teams, or Tailwind will be part of another Exclusive pack. If Worden asked me what to do (other than smack himself over the head with a frozen carp) I would break up the Nightflight/Slyhopper team, and go one of two routes:
      • (cheap way) Redeco Visper/Nightflight as Decepticon Airwave and Stormcloud as Tailwind.
      • (RIGHT way) Tool two new jets that seamlessly blend with the two existing ones and each other, Tailwind the grip half and Airwave the blade half.
    • Racecar and Sportscar Patrols: Another two-options scenario:
      • (cheap way) Redeco Roadhandler & Swindler (again!) for the two missing half-teams.
      • (RIGHT way) As with Air Strike Patrol, new sculpts designed to mesh with the old.
    • Rescue and Offroad Patrols: Simple. Tool a van as both Tote and Fixit, but it needs to be designed so it can naturally fit well with both a boat (Seawatch) and monster truck (Mudslinger).
    • Air, Battle and Military Patrols: (Bombshock, Dropshot, and Growl) Tool Blazemaster and Tracer to use a common chopper sculpt that can mesh well with both a new flying-wing (Tread Bolt) and a ground vehicle (one of the Mil Patrol). I think with a little paint Visper *could* pass for an SST, so make Sky High & Eagle Eye either *another* Stormcloud/Visper redeco or if we already have two other new jet sculpts for completing ASP redeco Nu-Tailwind and Nu-Airwave. New tool for Sidetrack, pre-tool to use same sculpt for Dropshot. Needs to work with bots having both cargo plane (Sunrunner) and tank (Bombshock) or scout car (Growl) alt-modes. For Growl, can easy-button by sticking a gun on top of Countdown.
    • Construction Patrol - Modify Powertrain sculpt for Takedown. Redeco Red Heat/Wheel Blaze as Crumble. Neutro and Groundpounder both require new sculpts; I would pretool them, retool Takedown and Crumble and simultaneously tool a new dumptruck and backhoe with an eye toward a Sixbuilder/"Mini-Constructicon" Micro-Gestalt.
    • Air and Military Patrols: (Bombshock, Dropshot, and Growl) Tool Blazemaster and Tracer to use a common chopper sculpt that can mesh well with both a new flying-wing (Tread Bolt) and a ground vehicle (one of the Mil Patrol). I think with a little paint Visper *could* pass for an SST, so make Sky High & Eagle Eye either *another* Stormcloud/Visper redeco or if we already have two other new jet sculpts for completing ASP redeco Nu-Tailwind and Nu-Airwave.
    • Hot Rod Patrol: I would tool two new "classic car inspired" sculpts with optional glue-on "supercharger" add-on pieces. Make one pack have this addon on one sculpt, the other on the other.
    • Monster Truck and Race Track Patrols: Use existing or expansion (from Racecar/Sportscar Patrols) sculpts for Ground Hog and Motorhead. Tool Heavy Tread (from MTP) and renamed-Barricade to use a common 6-wheel Formula 1-ish layout (think like a Tyrrell P34, aka G1 Stunticon Dragstrip). Maybe reuse Countdown for Roller Force. As long as Greasepit/Mudslinger is needed as a new tool, maybe redeco that for one of the Autobot big-wheels with minor retools or add-on parts for the other two.
    • Transport Bots: ?
    • Station Bots and Base Bots: Hmmm. Have to think here.
      • (cheap way) Mold Hothouse as ANOTHER Stormcloud redeco, invent ANOTHER new Autobot jet as a Visper-redeco partner. Greasepit as a redeco of new monster-truck Mudslinger, partnered with a new bot based on Tote's sculpt. Countdown doesn't have a partner, so maybe Skystalker doesn't need one either; but Skystalker DOES need a big spaceship/base/bot similar in size to Omega Supreme.
      • (RIGHT way) Hothouse a redeco of Nu-Tailwind, partner a redeco of Nu-Airwave. Greasepit and Skystalker same as "Cheap Way."