Michael Bell Asks for Our Help

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Moonscream, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    No, and what's 'type in white' mean?

--Moony

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Hmmm...

I agree, the voice work was actually pretty good. Clearly recognizable as both Starscream and Megatron, even if it's clearly done by different actors. However, I think Starscream was entirely too hysterical. Let's not forget taht Chris Latta didn't shriek EVERY line of dialogue. He was actually capable of speaking in a normal voice, and even conveying menace that way. This dub lacks a bit of subtlety (and yes, I know it's funny to associate "subtlety" with the original G1 series :D  ).

HOWEVER... I really don't dig this in general. I prefer to READ a comic, not have it read out to me. There's something about the way that the action is protracted here, despite the minimal animation that makes me impatient with it. It also doesn't help that I thought AHM's first issue suuuucked.

I will follow that comment by saying I'm enjoying AHM immensely, and more than I enjoyed anything in Furman's IDW run. It was just off to a really lame start, and has gotten consistently better as it goes.

Exactly. It seems like it should be the same as watching a regular animation, but it really isn't.

Hahaha! That's funny man. I was 100% behind the IDW reboot, and Furman's INFILTRATION setting in the beginning.

But by the end, Furman was screwing the dog so badly on his run, he wasn't able to come to anything resembling a coherent conclusion, instead wallowing in the worst kind of nonsensical ,convoluted, self-importantly epic plot devices, with nary a passing nod to real character development. I was so very happy to see him go.

I mean, all due respect... the guy saved 80's TF comics from mediocrity, but his writing had become positively lethargic, indulgent, and utterly devoid of character. It was like reading a load of scatterbrained hubris every month. I felt very strongly that he deliberately left as many loose ends as possible in order to cement his tenure at IDW and make it as difficult as possible to pry off the books... which left me feeling all the more satisfied when he was bumped.

All Hail Megatron on the other hand started very weak... I was convinced it was utter juvenile drech... but then it surprised me and started to gradually get much better. Characters actually started to become distinct and relevant, rather than just being overly verbose, interchangeable mouthpieces for Furman's grand messy plot. I actually started to care about what was going to happen next. I'm not huge on Guidi's art, but it works, and EJ Su still pops in for flashbacks and stuff, so I can still get my fix of his most excellent robot style.

Maybe this is akin to heresy, but I NEVER really liked Welker's voice for Megatron. Not even in 1984.

Maybe because my introduction to Transformers was split equally between the original Tech Specs, Marvel comic and the Cartoon, I had my own ideas about how the characters should sound, and Welker's Megatron just never did it for me. It wasn't a bad voice, but it never commanded any respect, and only got worse with his Galvatron.

Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron in the Movie was the first time I sat up and said "THAT... is what Megatron should have always sounded like!" :D 

Uh... did you actually READ any of Furman's dialogue? Cliche city. Even his cliches had cliches.

I lost my patience with Furman when no character ever seemed to exhibit any actual distinct personality traits, and I realized that any line of dialogue could be delivered by any character, and it always sounded the same. He had some good stuff in his run for sure, especially in terms of ideas, but his style was driving me crazy.

zmog

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The voices in that demo were awesome. I would love to see more comics in that format on YouTube and other such sites.

4. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

This is a great idea. With all of IDW's backlog of great comics I would love to see them do motion comics. As cool as this looked though, it's only 50% of the way there. They should check out what Warner Bros. Did with WATCHMEN MOTION COMICS. Just add more animation, more BG elements, some 3D environments when appropriate. But I fully support this. Would love to see Stormbringer and Spotlights done in this manner. :) 

Will send an e-mail to IDW to this effect. Great job.

5. Wh33ls

Wh33ls Original G1 kid, and loves Beasties as much, eh!

I loved War Within Animated, and I loved this small clip! Give me more! :popcorn 

Ugh! Another Megatron voice to get use to. Don't get me wrong, the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me, albeit slowly. But in all honesty, there wasn't enough there to solidify/convince me to the point of, "That's Megatron!" :redface2: 

6. Kthardin

Kthardin Well-Known Member

Hmm...okay, I see where they're going with this. A radio drama sort of thing. Motion comics...was never really a fan of them considering they're little more than 2D pictures moving across a singular plane across the screen. Even if they break up a character into several pieces, it was still a 2D pieces across a singular motion plane. The guy currently 'animating' The War Within has more ambition than what we just saw...though honestly not that much more.

On the other hand, it does provide a good backdrop for the voices, action, and sound effects. This is what I'd be tuning in for, and for that, they'd need people to sound as close to the G1 as possible. For those that are still alive, get them. For those that aren't get as close a voice match as possible.

Problem there is that we've all seen an absolute lack of will to do this in the industry, or someone has a different vision of the characters that requires a different voice (case in point, the entire discussion on this thread...I'll refrain from commenting on that mentality), or sometimes it's even a voice actor that will not or cannot do the job for whatever reason.

I'll fire off an email to IDW, as I am interested to see more of this sort of thing, and am willing to give them this shot. However, I expect corporate expedience and downright laziness will not get much more than a token nod to the G1 voice actors...or voices.

7. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Just finished emailing IDW for Michael Bell. That comic was awesome. The mixture of animation, voices, sound effects and music were amazing. If a DVD of this was sold for the All Hail Megatron series, I'd gladly pay for it.

I was honestly, blown away by it.

Also, it's about time comics became digital downloads.

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong here. I support Michael Bell's petition, and I agree with his statement. According to Bell, IDW just released a comic without any voice acting, which is kind of lame. It would be so awesome to have the comics voice-acted by capable talent, all the better if it's from the G1 cast.

However, there's no way in hell people will pay for it. I'm not even sure I want to pay twice for a book. For example, I already paid $4 for each issue of Devastation. Do I really want to pay again to have someone read it to me?

Even if I was willing to pay for this, I highly doubt this will increase sales of the TF series. Pretty much the only ones interested would be those already emotionally-invested in the series already.

9. Stahi

Stahi Well-Known Member

Everytime I hear Michael Bell I have to think of this:

[​IMG]

Yep.

10. Bumblebeast

Bumblebeast Active Member

I like it. I'm not sure if i'd buy it, but i'd watch it with embedded ads, if you ask me.

11. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Starscream sounds a lot like Animated.

12. Megatron3666

Megatron3666 Member

for some reason, the voice of megatron reminded me of Richard Moll (Bull from Nightcourt.) be Cool if it was, add another voice credit to the many voices of Megatron.

13. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

HOLY AWESOMENESS!!!!! :thumbs2: :rock  I absolutely loved it, it brings the comics to life in a whole new way, and it made me feel like i was watching a new transformers cartoon. I hope this gets tons of support, because this type of media can lead to more shows and other transformers goodness :) 

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I've started an AHM argument in a barely relevant topic. *dusts off hands* My work is done.

15. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Ok that was COMPLETELY BADASS! THAT is the way we should get in an actual cartoon. It was awesome and had great voice acting! Seriously that is the coolest TF clip I have seen in a long time and it is simply a comic still re-enactment. COME ON HASBRO MAKE A CARTOON LIKE THIS!

16. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

o0o0o0o!

now that was awesome!

17. Brawlastator

Brawlastator "woah oh oh woah oh oh" - tarzan boy, baltimora

News Credits:
    That was pretty bad. So far, every motion comic I've seen has been terrible with the exception of the Watchmen motion comic.

Voices were pretty good though.

18. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Not bad at all, I'd watch it.

19. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree with what you are saying about this version of Starscream, 10 minutes of this version would give me a head ache. Chris Latta didn't shriek, this guy is killing it.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well it is a frame-animated adaptation of AHM, so I'm not sure if it's "barely" relevant. :) 

But yes... good on you, for stirring up interest in the series, and allowing others the opportunity to sing its praises. Shane McCarthy will be sending you a kickback check shortly. :D 

zmog