Michael Bay predicts "slow death" for HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:

2. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering completist, recently fell off the wagon

You know, he says that Microsoft is trying to go all digital downloads....well, isn't that where music is now? Sure you can still buy CD's. But I don't even own one now. But, if movies do go digital download, then the companies MUST make it where we can rip, or copy our current dvd's, blu ray or whatever to our digital format of choice, via hack code or something. Because no one wants to buy all of their movies over again just because they're digital. Some people could have libraries in excess of 1000 movies.

3. WTF2005

WTF2005 Chaos Commander

A lot of hate here for High Def. I can understand why people might not like it, but just as people own all the major game consoles, I feel it's just as logical to own both HD formats. Sure I'm net helping either cause win, but I don't care about that. I own TFs on HDDVD, but while that format may go downhill eventually, I'll still have my player, it's not like my copy will explode past a certain point. :) 

And no, upscaled DVDs will never be as good as HD (unless they were shot in close-to DVD quality, like 28 Days Later, or the company fubars the transfer :)  ). That said, most of my movies are still DVD, with only a handful of my favorites upgraded to HD along with new releases that I think are worthy. In fact, I bough 5 DVDs at the Best Buy sale the other day. In all, I don't get why people get in such a frenzy over HDM. If you don't care for it, great, don't buy it. But for the rest of us, there is that option, that's all it means.

What are you talking about? :sly2: 

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I gotta ask, what planet are you living on? Cause here on earth new DVD's cost $25-$30 (or maybe 20 if you get a stripped down just the movie version).

5. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

6. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I get the stripped down version on the first week of release from Wal-Mart when they are only $15. I don't get any of the fancy exclusives with Director's Cut and stuff.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yeah still not buying it. Cause the stripped down version of Transformers cost $23.99, from Wal-Mart.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well you have to remember this is the same man who couldn't find any faults with The Island so it had to be the marketing people that kept the masses from coming out for such a masterpeice of the film arts :D 

If it's something Bay likes or something Bay did then it has no faults. Because you know he's total perfection all of the time according to any commentary track he's ever done.

9. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you in Canada or something? Even ANIME is only 18-21 bucks a pop at Best Buy, and big two discs of feature movies like Spiderman, Pirates, TF, etc, are like 15 bucks at Target the week they come out.

I pity anyone who pays FYE prices ($25-30) for any dvd.

10. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    standard dvd is 720*480 with a max data rate or around 9mbs while
    both HD formats are 1920*1080 with a max data rate around 35mbs which means that the pixel size has increased by a power of 4 but the bandwidth has increased by a power slightly less than 4. Blue Ray and HD DVD should have a compression rate of around 60-90mbs. If they had that I think we would see a lot more people jumping over to the HD def format.

11. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Meh, I'll wait for holocube players to come out!

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You keep your lowered expectations.

I'm looking forward to movies that play directly INTO MY BRAIN.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this means that in a few years I'll be a tremendously badass rogue for having an HD-DVD player then I await my tidalwave of format-war-junkie women to crash against my front door like a tsunami of repressed labido.

14. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    unlike others, I can totally see the difference between regular dvd and the hidef versions. just not gonna buy one til its decided. then the money to refill the dvd cabinet goes crazy

15. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank god that 99% of my dvd collection is anime and 90% of those pre-widescreen shows aren't really going to look that much better should they get an HD release anyways. The only stuff that matters imo is high detail, high quality stuff like movies and certain series like Stand Alone Complex.

16. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

The Digital Download Plot sounds like something from a James Bond movie, doesn't it?

Live and Let Download

Dr. Download:
    "We're going to dominate the entertainment industry...
    Through downloads. Digital Downloads.
    Here's your $100 million dollar check, Mr. Bond..."

Bond:
    "Well, that format is shaken. And stirred."

Dr. Download:
    "That... that's not even a pun..."

Bond:
    "I think he got the point."

Dr. Download:
    "...what?"

Bond:
    "Well, I'm afraid you've caught me with more than my hands up."

Dr. Download:
    "...You need help."

:inquisiti 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  17. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    The interesting things are here I see..
    1. does it matter what his prediction is ? He is just a director for the TF movie. My jealousy and my hatred toward him doing the TF movie (against whatever thing in my mind for a TF movie) just spoke out saying ... his prediction is worthless...

2. The war is meaningless to me and many of my friends even though we have a high tech job and play high tech stuff at home... we haven't invested our $ on either brand of player or media. Except my friend owns a PS3 which bundled with 5 movies of his choices...

18. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These HD DVD movies look less like filmed movies to me for some reason. Don't know. Just seems...off. Like I'm watching something recorded by Uncle Bob at a family BBQ if Uncle Bob was also a big-time movie director...

19. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These HD DVD movies look less like filmed movies to me for some reason. Don't know. They just seem...off. Like I'm watching something recorded by Uncle Bob at a family BBQ if Uncle Bob was also a big-time movie director...

20. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think for now HD has got the edge as long as the 360 remains cheaper than the PS3 because seriously...why would i buy both the game system and the dvd player? I wont....and I aint getting a ps3 until a major price drop. Therefore HD trumps Blu for me...