Michael Bay Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheDude810, Apr 10, 2021.

1. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Unicron Trilogy ?
    :D :( 

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There were a lot of good signs coming out of AOE and a couple of troubling ones.

On the positive was a definitively more Transformer-focused story, with very little in the way of plots / subplots not connected to the Transformers. A streamlined, more colorful, well-defined, and well-characterized Autobot cast as well. And, a complete axing of the overused military component. The final battle was purely Cybertronians, and Cade.

On the negative, a continued lack of restraint with an obnoxiously long runtime, designs that really cheated their way through transformations, and a daunting prospect in expanding the universe. Plus, while China was more invested in TFs than ever, the domestic returns were quite a bit down.

You really could have gone any number of ways after AOE, and it's a movie that really needed a good follow up to cement its actual legacy, and TLK wasn't it sadly.

• Like Like x 8
  3. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I always have the high ground

I'd prefer the military guys over Cade going toe to toe in a sword fight with someone who can beat Prime
    And that cybertronian fight wasn't so good at all. It was Hound and BB against everyone, it looked like they were thousand times better than any of them. The cons looked pussy and their only advantage was quantity. We didn't use to have a 2 vs 60 fight in the other movies where the 2 held their ground against the 60
    And the military stuff wasn't overused, that was actually good. Way better than Sam's life in college, looking for work in a bad car, not enjoying the relation between his gf and her boss, and being the only big brain in the movie bcs with the entire army it gotta be him, a civilian to solve alien trouble and
    be a hero

And I really didn't like the Aoe crew. They were nothing like the special force bots we had in the other movies, their team work was meh, and too much childish. The same for tlk Cons, they looked street thugs. That just makes me think how in the shit Megatron was to negotiate for those guys, while in TF1 he had a team made of many one-bot-army, serious special forces guys

4. Smokie

Smokie Lil Ice NL

News Credits:
    The music in these movies are also beautiful

• Like Like x 13
  5. Nikkal101

Nikkal101 Well-Known Member

The first movie was perfect to me. It did what it was supposed to do, slowly reveal what the transformers were from a real life perspective.

These movies were not about the Transformers encountering humans, it was humans encountering Transformers.

The cartoons are the former. So from this standpoint, the first movie was great. also, keeping this perspective in mind, all of the characters were good. They all played a role and contributed to the movie.

The sequels, unfortunately did not do that. I felt lack of continuity and even the characters themselves didn’t really work out. I really thought the best course for someone like Sam was to join the army after the 1st movie and join Lennox and the rest of the team, effectively diminishing the roles of the other side characters and giving more time to the transformers themselves since the cat is out of the bag at that point.

it seemed that every movie started over with human character buildup which caused it to interfere.

rather than this be a rant, regardless these movies to me were amazing, but I felt that I needed to know transformers outside of the movies to be able to continue watching from 3 and on...

• Like Like x 1
  6. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Try watching this skip to 3:48

• Like Like x 7
  7. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Truth. He really doesn't.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is spot-on. I feel like issuing generic "shaky cam" criticism of Bay misses the point. The cinematography of especially the first film is very deliberate and adds to the realism. The low to the ground shots and intentionally flawed frames create a sense that you could be experiencing this on a street or on a highway. That combined with the insane attention to lighting detail (which none of the TF sequels do as consistently well, nor most modern effects driven blockbusters) really makes it so convincing.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Okay hate em or love em Michael Bay's original trilogy saved the franchise and made Hasbro realize there is still an audience for them....like honestly they could have stayed in the past and stayed just 80s nostalgia but no they were reintroduced to a new generation myself included so Thank you Michael Bay....I still think it should have ended after 3 but oh well we have Bumblebee and new movies coming 2022 and 2023 SO

• Like Like x 5
  10. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Saved the franchise how exactly ? It wasn't on the brink of death post-Cybertron/Galaxy Force
    Excuse me ?
    Beast Wars ?
    Unicron Trilogy ?
    Hell not even RiD 2001 ?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like you got a lot of facts mixed up there.

• Like Like x 3
  12. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

If it makes money why stop at 3?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Terrellatron

News Credits:
    Beast Wars was 90s and RID 2001 wasn't that big and really only Armada was good in the unicron trilogy....Michael Bay actually expanded the audience...but I feel like I shouldn't have said that because alot of fans take offense from that

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh, now I know you lake the ability to look things up.

RID was a smashing and surprising success for what Hasbro considered to be a fill-in line. And the UT as a whole were so massive successes that Hasbro even went ahead to make the movies in the first place. You really think Hasbro would have risked a movie if the franchise needed "saving"? They even had animated going on at the same time and other plans if the first movie underperformed.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Yes it was.
    Cybertron>Armada>Energon.

16. Terrellatron

News Credits:
    You mean the show that lasted one season critically acclaimed and popular aren't the same thing

17. Terrellatron

News Credits:
    I'm sorry but that's your opinion but majority would agree Armada is the better of the UT

18. Terrellatron

News Credits:
    I felt like Bumblebee executed this perfectly He had to adjust to being around humans something we only really saw a glimpse of in the first film

19. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    On this site, Cybertron is > Armada most of the time.

20. Terrellatron

News Credits:
    Yeah...okay