MGS Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain = MGS 5

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by bignick1693, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Portable Ops is totally canon. Direct sequel to MGS3, and MGS4 had mentions to it. You can't say that Peace Walker caused it to be non-canon, otherwise certain parts of MGS4 aren't canon.

Good Lord, how many times can I use "canon" in a post?

2. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I've played every single MGS game, except for that MGS4 point-and-shoot game on iPhone. If my disdain for Apple products wasn't so big, I would have bought that a long time ago.

3. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Nope. No where in Act 1 - 5 of MGS4 Is their a direct reference to the events of Portable OPS at all. And using select images from Portable OPS to reinforce what Eva tells Snake in Act 3 does not count as recognition of being canon. Remember during the Prologue for Peace Walker Kaz says "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind..." it was not only a jab at Portable OPS but a way to state that Peace Walker is the legitimate follow up to MGS 3.

And lets not forget it can't be a canon title if Kojima didn't direct it.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Kojima didn't direct it but he confirmed that it was canon. Portable ops is canon. Also it is referenced in 4.

Read this. Especially the development section.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - The Metal Gear Wiki - Metal Gear Solid Rising, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Metal Gear Solid 4, and more

5. hellrasinbrasin

...And like many I still consider Portable OPS a spin-off title much in the way Ghost Babel is a spin-off title.

Moving on whose ready for MGS V Ground Zeroes.

6. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance would be in there wouldn't it? Sure it's not Solid Snake's story but it still comes after MGS4 and has that white haired girl who's name I have just forgotten.

I'm struggling to get into Peace Walker. I got it for my 360 really cheap and it's just kinda meh. AI seem kinda dumb and the missions are so short...I'll get through it eventually. Also, can't move while lying down? Really?

7. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

lol Portable Ops was awesome. I actually liked it more than Peace Walker. No cheap grinding to artificially extend playtime, unique soldiers with different stats in gameplay, more mission variety, better story, better characters, better stealth, etc. Flawed, yes, but it's a great handheld Metal Gear experience.

8. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Doesn't matter what you consider lol, matters what Kojima said.

I was going to go digital, but after the price drop, will be grabbing a physical copy for PS4. Also, for the people buying this for PS3, how do you feel about your saves more than likely being meaningless? I don't see the full MGSV coming to last gen. Seems too technically large to port.

9. biscuits

MGSV on Xbox 360. Like what, 20 discs? 100GB? They said MGS4 on 360 would have been about 10 discs right?

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    There's also that MGS Database 'game' on ps3, it references the crap out of portable ops in its MGS timeline
    (No mention of peace walker though I suspect cuz it wasn't out yet or something? I dunno. It's all confusing.)

11. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, Peace Walker came out two years after. But still, Portable Ops is way too involved not to be canon, completely agreed.

12. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    This so hard. I really don't get why people treat PO like it's the red headed step child of the series and PW as the "true" follow up to MGS3. PW sucked SO hard compared to PO.

The only thing it has over PO is the controls didn't suck but I can deal with that over a bland story or a having to get to the "true" ending by grinding the same boss fights and levels over and over. The scene where the first soldier you captured dies trying to protect you from Gene in Portable Ops gave me more feels than anything I've experienced in PW.

Supposedly the Phantom Pain is around 200 hours and if it's getting that length through similar means as PW I probably won't be able to finish it either.

13. biscuits

I don't see anywhere saying it's 200 hours, just 200x larger than Ground Zeroes. That doesn't necessarily mean play time.

14. hellrasinbrasin

15. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    What's with all the hate towards Peace Walker? That game was freaking brilliant, I spent over 60 hours playing it, definitely the title I played the most on the PSP.

Portable Ops was good, but PW blew it out of the water. It felt like a console MGS, rather than a portable console game.

Sure, you couldn't crouch, but the game had so much to offer that it really didn't bother me after a few missions.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Peace Walker is the only MGS game I just couldnt really get into, and im a huge fan of the series. The fact that I played it sort of intermittently [I probably played 90% of it when the HD collection came out and only just very recently finished off the last of it] probably doesnt help, but the story didnt grab me at all and everything just sorta happened, I didnt really have any real idea of why. [not that I dont understand the things that *happened* it just all seemed to happen for no real reason and characters came outta nowhere that I guess Im supposed to care or know about but im not really told why? IDK. Thank God for the internet/wiki, I guess]

The comic book style cutscenes are a novel idea for portable stuff but playing it on the console just took me out of it.

Didnt really care for the motherbase aspect of it all [and didnt ever really do anything with it either. that kinda thing doesnt interest me]. I dunno. Its my least favorite.

I'm curious to check out Portable Ops because that one seems to have the most impact on the overall MGS story and its characters. [Guess I can find some playthroughs on youtube or something cuz i aint gonna track down a psp just for that one game].

The fact that Ground Zeroes is "peace walker-ish" has kinda made me slightly leary because of all that, but it sounds like its a little more traditional with peace walker-type stuff thrown in?
    Either way, i'm anxious to check GZ out

17. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Peace Walker had so much grinding though.

18. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'm not seeing any hate, just people saying they weren't that into the game.

19. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

after finishing it last Saturday, I can assure you that you never want to put the controller down.

Also, Crocodile Hat.

20. hellrasinbrasin