MFT MS-28 Thunderbolt (Blitzwing)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by VelsR, Jul 7, 2020.

1. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Now that he pointed it out, the jet mode looks more like a paper airplane than what it's based on.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Member

007XZROCgy1ggjah73ku7j30ej0m8dkw.jpg
    On the note of accuracy- what's the blaster thingy on the wing there for? I don't see it in the toy or cartoon

4. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    No, the intakes are forward and inwards of the missiles. (though this toy has the missiles mounted inboard of where the G1 toy does). The intakes are basically present, they just lack their shaping/angle/lips. They're just "blocks" instead of triangular.

::edit:: Ok, here's the intake thing---they should be sharply angled and hollow, and both G1 toy and G1 toon did it that way, but MFT's are "square and solid"---
    IMG_9572CT.jpg
    image000T.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    Now, as for the wing-sweep-----the toy in both jet and robot, and the toon in robot mode, have "properly swept wings" like a MiG-25. The toon in jet mode does not, so it "morphs" the wings to look weird in jet mode. But, as I know people love bot-mode----don't we all want "upwards" angled wings? Which is correct/accurate for the real jet, the toy, and the toon-style bot mode.
    BlitzwingTVt.jpg MFTblitzwingbotT.jpg

IMG_9573T.jpg MFTblitzwing2T.jpg

"Wings with no trailing edge sweep-back" is wrong for pretty much everything, except toon-style jet mode. G1 toy jet, G1 toy bot, toon bot, and real jet, all have swept up/back wings.

::edit:: Before anyone says anything---no, I'm not asking/expecting an accurate MiG-25 here. But it should at least measure up to the standard of the original toy, and the toon. And that means getting the "basic shapes" of the jet like angled intakes and swept-back wings. Not "solid squares" for intakes and "straight-out" wings. The original toy is at least shaped well enough to be identifiable as being MiG-25-based. This is---"a plane". While the G1 toon also lost a lot of identifiable elements--it at least kept the intakes right, and the wings right (most of the time). ::edit2:: And the toon got the tailfins right! (see below)

• Like Like x 7
  6. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    While I'm making pics---why can't we have the tailfins cropped? It's a MiG-25 thing, the toy did it, the toon did it---why didn't MFT? Can't imagine it'd affect transformation any way. I think they simply didn't look at the original toy, or the toon, or the real thing:

IMG_9572CT2.jpg
    Top of the tailfins are clipped off at an angle, not "flat across the top" like an F-15.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

When I was designing my own legends blitz for kicks, the intakes were a problem since they make an awkward profile in both bot and tank mode. You could make them very unobtrusive though, with only a very mild slant and almost no depth, and tick the box half heartedly.

you can see in tank mode it looks like a cow-catcher.

edit: the designer might have gotten snow blind to some of the details, it happens when you’re a one man operation and don’t have a peanut gallery of supervisors hovering around you, for good or for worse. Maybe it’s good they’re asking for feedback. At the same time, the g1 toy looks like a mig25 the same way I look like Tom Cruise. Can’t wait till you guys start asking why Octane’s jet mode doesn’t have the right cockpit windows when the whole thing looks like a mashed burrito.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  8. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    If you go for the "not backwards" tank mode, then the intakes are at the rear of the tank. (the toon has the tank body spun 180 from where it should be----cockpit/intakes should be rear of tank)

::EDIT:: What's the transformation scheme for your design? The front of the tank is up front, but so are the intakes. That's interesting. Does the upper half of the tank flip/spin, relative to the bottom/jet?

9. Megawillbot

tanks for that
    tank.png

• Like Like x 14
  10. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh! I gotcha. I guess I never realized those were intakes. Yeah, like Astrotrain's shuttle mode (short tail, lack of taper to the back of the wings), it seems they're going for a more simplified and cartoon-y look for the jet mode. Which is a bit of a shame because the Foxbat is a really cool jet design.

11. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Here's your best look.
    As others have pointed out, there are definately things that could be better, foremost the shoulders in bot mode, but now that criticisms of the MFT are coming out, I could have tried harder doing little things like the swept wings and angled tail fins etc. I do have the rear fins hehe..

Just realized my biggest annoyance for the MFT design in jet mode is the tank treads on the wings, which is totally unnecessary, since you don't see the bottom of the treads in tank mode-- that surface could -and should- be smooth for the wings to be more homogenous. Include a small ridge of bumps if you want a less flat silhouette in tank mode if you must, but don't extend them all the way to the back.

• Like Like x 4
  12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    As someone that prefers realistic alt mode details, I always appreciate @David Hingtgen 's detailed critiques.

In this case, I believe that corners are cut on the jet mode to give a cleaner, better tank mode. This is especially true for the wings, that fold around the bottom, on the front of the tank. Swept back wings would alter the clean tank front.

In regards to the vertical tail fins, I agree that a little angling on the tips would dial in the accuracy a bit more. They're a little short, even with their flat tips, so maybe that's why they're that way.

I totally agree on the jet intakes, though. It's a bit disappointing that they're not more pronounced, but again I think that's a sacrifice made for the tank. I really like how they're done in @Spiffy 's design, though.

Spiffy, is your design what was used in that Blitzwing vs Sideswipe video?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This animation has multiple little hipskirts. Wish they wouldn't have changed that.

Edit: didn't read that this isn't the MFT design - not enough coffee yet. That's awesome @Spiffy!

Edit 2: And I just realized you're the one that made this. I was asking around on Twitter if anyone knew if this was something actually being made:

• Like Like x 4
  14. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Yep.

In general, I'm really happy with the MFT design, their bot mode is miles better than mine, especially the arms and shoulders and chest detail. I agree if they could move the waist hinge and make two side flaps like mine, or whatever other solution, that would be better. The intakes could be almost cosmetic in appearance and tick that box, and they should ditch the underside tank treads to help the wings in jet mode. I think you're right about the wing angles NOCV, just as the shuttle mode on Astrotrain would have been nicer as diagonal lines on the rear of the wings, but it would have made train mode a bit scruffier. Here they could pull the inside of the wings in a bit to get a small diagonal, but then you'd get a very broken back line where it hit the treads, though the g1 pulls it off with the wing panel being extruded over the treads.. I made the same compromise tho.

I do feel, for Blitzwing and Octane, that they chose to get one alt mode really well, and sacrifice the third. In Octane's case, the truck is much, much better than the jet. Here the fighter mode doesn't suffer as much, but it's clear they're prioritizing the tank, with the underside treads and cleaner front without the intakes.

• Like Like x 4
  15. SunBlack

SunBlack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    based on previous releases, I expect figure will be out next year 2021. Some more time for figure adjustment still. Hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    You need to make more stop motion legends videos! The fight scene between them is fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  17. aurance

aurance Well-Known Member

Oh man, I love the intakes as cow-catcher look! Great job!

18. aurance

aurance Well-Known Member

The no-tail-fins I'm fine with, cartoon whatever whatever but now the no intakes will bother me. Thanks for nothin' David Hingtgen

19. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    I did message them about the changes, don't think they implemented them. They did respond to other critiques from other posters, maybe I was just too late.

Sina Visitor System

007XZROCly1ghxaw4s1t3j32bc334b2a.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  20. Megawillbot

Looked like it was vfx, not a physical figure

• Like Like x 2