Mezco One:12 Collective

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by openchallenge, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

It is Mezco's failure as a company to not release more figures faster. There are many newer and smaller companies that are releasing new figures at a faster rate. Mezco has been making figures for years and know the process needed to push out releases.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Not quite since they did make Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow...the real stars of the line anyways.:D 

• Like Like x 2
  3. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

My guess is due to the nature of the toyline being about figures wearing clothes that it takes way longer to produce than a simple sculpt, print and paint production the regular figure market uses but I could be wrong here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ambrojh

Mezco is an experienced company that knows how to work with soft goods. Hooded or Helmeted head CC is an easy uniform, as with Cobra Trooper and Crimson Guard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bryan Thornton

Bryan Thornton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speculation on my part but I would think given the stuff they have done they would know what lead times they need for the product they want to make. The only one that was "new" to them was the seemless body like 89 batman (which I would hope they never try again). I would think if you as a company new you had a longer lead time for a product that you would plan accordingly.

I think that is what he was getting at. In other words a competent manager/owner would be able to make a schedule that puts things out at a consistent rate. The issue with mezco, at least I think what they do, is they use funds from current preorders to pay for past product. This is a failing strategy as eventually the funds aren't there and things begin to collapse. Hence the reason they do a quick release on their own IP in between the preorder releases. I think they take money from a preordered item, pay for their own ip produced product, get that product and sell it, then hope the profit covers the cost of the item they put up for preorder.

For example they put a batman up for preorder, take the funds and pay for a roach they already had on order at the factory, sell the roach, take those funds and then place the order for the batman. This makes the batman severely delayed because they have get funds for it to replace the ones they used before they can order it into production instead of putting it into production when they took the preorder money. Again thos is speculation but just seems to be how they are running things.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

How do you explain the recent glut of figures over the past half year?

7. Bryan Thornton

News Credits:
    I suspect the profits from all the sell outs of roaches, slugfest, airplane head robot, death adder, dead magicians, goat head guys, etc.. probably allowed them to push forward on a lot of stuff. I mean there is little doubt the put their ip in production prior to the pre ordered stuff. Their ip items were immediate ship vs the preorders which weren't. Their ip have each had at least 2 repaints (most of them anyway) and each time they sold out. I think this is why the major delays.

If you put up a roach and it sells out, the funds from that likely allow you to put another figure into production as well as a repaint of that figure since the molds are there for the plastic and the patterns are there for the soft goods. I imagine you can produce a repaint for a fraction of the original since these molds and cloth patterns don't have to be paid for, just new colors used. It isn't like this glut of non mezco owned items wasn't preceeded by a ton of their own stuff after all. I mean we got a lot of dc, marvel, etc but we also expanded on their own figures by a major factor considering not one of their items is ever preorder and is always in hand sales.

• Like Like x 3
  8. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    Plus with all that hypothesis @Bryan Thornton, we’re also paying Mez for the lack of update on social media in the products that they sell to us and “We got your money so we’re going to keep delaying the shipment if the stuff that you ordered from us”.

So why is it then we’re still buying the stuff from them when they constantly give us the wrap around and don’t give two shits about their PR skills to their customers then? o_O o_O 

9. Bryan Thornton

News Credits:
    Rumble Society | Mezco Toyz
    Expanding on this a bit more, checking the link above for their rumble society they have 39 releases in there. And not even all of their rumble stuff is in there because their repaint of nosferatu is in this but the original isnt (can be argued the original is based on the actual nosferatu character and isnt mezco owned but the repaint is since it falls under their own ip category) of the 39 if you don't count that many are variants of gomez or krig or whatever, not many are actual original characters.

Of these though (and they don't date their pages so I can't be absolutely sure here but) it really seems the vast majority were released in the last 3 years. Pretty much everything after baron bends tectonic version. Again I can't be sure as there isn't any dates but it sure seems the majority of their own ip items is what has been pushed and put in hand while other licensed items were pushed back over and over.

If any manufacturers sold out of runs of their own 100% profit properties it would allow them to push out product that has licensing fees attached as well as less costly reissues of their own items which then allows more of the licensed stuff to be pushed.

I don't think we have expanded on the one:12 collective library at near the rate we have expanded on the rumble society library. And I suspect that has to do with quick cash grabs so they can continue. Again this type of model catches up to everyone. Basically "robbing peter to pay paul" eventually a break occurs where peter doesn't have the funds left.

This may be the way most smaller companies start out. But they eventually reach a point where they can pay for the beginning process of items that they put up prior to putting them up. As evidenced by the cut in lead time. We go from a year long wait to a 6 month or less wait. Meaning the items put up for preorder are actually already at least having molds cut so they can be pushed out in a timely manner.

That doesn't seem to be the case with mezco. I mean just using say the miles they solicited within the last month or so? His arrival date is December, well over 6 months and I can almost guarantee his actual arrival date will be in 2025. So they didn't have the mold made for his plastic parts prior to pre-ordering I don't think. This is for sure not how the "big boys" do it. Mcfalrane solicited his cyborg superman this week for example with a release date of July. That means the Grunt work for it is already done. The molds are already made. He just needs a number that he tells the factory, then they shoot plastic, paint, package, ship. We have the thing in 2 months (not 8 to 12 like mezco has been doing)

10. Legate

To follow up on that, Mafex just hard teased their Rogue figure.
    I’d be willing to bet they get that out before Miles, and there isn’t even a solicitation for it yet AND it probably won’t be slated for release until mid-25

11. Bryan Thornton

News Credits:
    I can't answer that for sure, but I suspect that is also because they are the "most known" game in town for what they offer. There just aren't many soft goods manufacturers around. If you want a soft goods figure the odds are you will turn to mezco for it. Lately third party folks are starting to show up more and more though.

For me personally I have more open orders at 5ktoys now than I do at mezco. In fact I don't think I have any at mezco at all and the few mezco items I do have on order are through bbts now instead of direct. Frankly if somebody would step up and make soft goods on par or close to mezco and actually be able to stick to a release schedule they would likely put mezco out of business.

I prefer soft goods on a lot of stuff so if a company was able to release them frequently and in good quality they would probably get rhe vast majority of my mcfarlane, hasbro, mattel money flowing their way instead of me buying plastic figures.

The biggest setback is funds. Every soft goods figure cost a hundred or more, so it isn't feasible to replace marvel legends with 100% soft goods stuff but it doesn't mean that instead of buying the same character from hasbro 5 times to get a perfect one if someone made a really good one up front I would choose that 1 to be my ultimate version.

This is why mezco has thrived. They are/were the only game in town. And for some they have given the definitive version.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I hope Mez just continues to make their own property stuff. It would make it so much easier for me to continue my boycott.:p 

• Like Like x 4
  13. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I still buy stuff from them because I dig their figures, I like soft goods, I don’t buy from them personally outside of exclusives, and I don’t really care about delays since I don’t pay for things until they ship for every regular release.

The large majority of issues people have with them on this forum aren’t really an issue to me. I don’t give a shit about their PR or their figure making process, I just care about the figures, and they have put out some incredible ones this year alone like Doom and the TMNT. Also really dug Snake Eyes.

They are no better or worse than other companies like Super7 or NECA.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

I would hope that Mezco would at least do Cobra Commander, Baroness, Zartan, and a trooper.

For Joes we need Flint, Gung Ho, and some ladies.

Only doing 3 for each side seems like they are completely giving up on the line leaving us with a somewhat bastardized collection.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bryan Thornton

News Credits:
    I doubt they are done with joe. It is just like all their other licensed properties, for every joe they solicit they will sell a rumble character in stock first.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

I hope you're right........

17. Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore Likes Transformers toys that don't transform

News Credits:
    *Stares at Captain Kirk* Gee, wonder what that would feel like.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Legate

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ambrojh

I hope that I am wrong and that Mezco will have several releases and renders for Joe shortly, maybe Hasbro instructed Mezco to wait until Yo Joe June.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Rumble Society Olumu Rook and 5 Points TMNT begin charging tomorrow!

• Like Like x 1