Mezco One:12 Collective

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by openchallenge, Apr 24, 2015.

1. KL78451821

KL78451821 Well-Known Member

I'm late to the Mezco party, but I now have more than one handful and working towards two handfuls of their figures.

This set reminds me of a few figures that failed to live up to my expectations for what I anticipated would be easy Mezco wins. Specifically, the one figure I desperately wanted and it was going to be my first Mezco was John Wick.
    It seemed like there was no way they could get that figure wrong, especially for a company known to provide great weapons, accessories, and exceptional clothing. Well let's just say I was so underwhelmed with Wick that I never bought the figure, and it delayed my first Mezco purchase.

Those same expectations were there for this TMNT set. I was expecting a lot. I know Mezco kind of do their own thing, in terms of aesthetic, but I question the design choice here. It appears like they wanted to do a toon design while retain their Mezco spin. Makes the set seem ordinary. There's nothing extraordinary here aesthetically as a result. I also thought the accessories would be better. Ultimately, it is an average set for an extraordinary price.

As someone mentioned, the set will sell out. It is a solid set. That's all great for Mezco, but it just feels like John Wick all over again....underwhelming. Hopefully whoever wants one, gets one. Hopefully as well anyone who bought theirs is happy with it.

2. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I bought John Wick and immediately sold it the minute I got it without even opening it. Maybe my biggest Mezco disappointment ever.

At least we have the first, extremely killer TMNT set. John Wick only got one crap figure.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

@KL78451821 do you feel the same way about the first Turtles set?
    Some of the criticisms I’ve been seeing kinda seem like they think this is THE set rather than a redeco & slight resculpt. I mean, this set is DUMB, but the first set was very good in all fairness.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    The first set was beyond very good imo — it was incredible, and I have many, many different sets of TMNT.

As soon as they do a redeco tailored to the strengths in that set, I’m throwing down another $400 within seconds of it going up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

I wouldn’t go that far personally, but I could see myself swapping out for a black & white set with red masks, even if the accessory count was reduced.

6. KL78451821

No Way. The first set was good.

I think the main issue is that the Neca set is exceptional. It also doesn't help the price is fair to even underpriced. I don't love many of the figures that Neca produce, but hard to argue against their TMNT set.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KL78451821

Yeah that Wick figure was :banghead: 
    Because of that figure, I take the "wait and see" approach (ie let me wait for reviews and comments) when it comes to purchasing Mezcos.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Slender102

Slender102 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quantities in the 130s left on the set

• Like Like x 1
  9. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good lord, that Turtles set looks like hot trash. The animated head style does not match the bodies at all.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore Likes Transformers toys that don't transform

News Credits:
    If I was ever going to buy Turtles from Mezco, it would have been that first set. (And I almost did, but so many other fucking preorders became ready in such a short period of time, I couldn't spare another four fucking hundred) Kind of realistic, kind of generic, not beholden to any particular style.

Beyond that, I cannot see them matching NECA in any other style. Their toon, live-action, and (both!) Mirage style sculpts are note-perfect.

• Like Like x 3
  11. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    Buying Mezco 1/12 is also similar to getting 1/6 figures as well (in which I do collect as well with selected ones).

There are various names that are in the 1/6 business (no names mentioned as you can possibly name them all), but there’s a gamble as it either a head scratcher (“What the hell are they thinking in the first place when they designed it”) or it manages to sell fairly well as there’s a good demand for it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Current WIP: the Extreme Toys Arkham Knight

Repainted the boots, gloves, hands, cowl and masks, knee and shoulder pads, and parts of the torso armour. I also touched up the black on the utility belt, filled in the bullet hole on the bat and repainted it. Damn thing keeps peeling up at the sides though, even with blue tac. I might just glue it in and be done with it. I haven't decided on how to attach the knee pads yet, either. I was thinking hot glue, but it might damage the vinyl overlay and I'm worried it won't adhere properly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Firefly shipped, now I can open Storm Shadow.

Yeah, I know I'm weird.....

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Looks like no more new Joes after Duke. I thought a CC, a Baroness, Scarlett, and Cobra Trooper, and even a Crimson Guard and twins would of been announced.

• Like Like x 1
  15. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It'll be disappointing if they don't release Cobra Commander, as that's the only one I'd want.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

I'd that's true I'm glad I didn't start this line. I only wanted Cobra High Command

17. IronMonger986

IronMonger986 Well-Known Member

That was my first thought. You have these smooth cartoon looking heads .... on these highly textured wrinkly bodies with shell slashes/textures. It just looks like a bad kitbash. Like someone tossing BSTAXN heads on NECA movie turtle bodies.

• Like Like x 3
  18. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Is this confirmed? If so, that's a huge bummer........

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Could be saving up for SDCC too. Or wanting figures to get in people’s hands before going further.

I have to imagine Cobra Commander is coming. They know the demand is there. Even for some reason it’s a Mezco exclusive lol.

There is no way they are doing Baroness or Scarlett though, Mezco hardly ever does female figures.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Mezco did make the Invisable Woman.

• Like Like x 1