Metroid Prime, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Nov 17, 2012.

1. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Ten years ago today, the first Metroid Prime game was released. I like the series, and my favorite part of the Prime Trilogy is Corruption. The first game took me four years to finish it. So Yeah. I enjoyed the Games.

Happy 10th. :D 

Oh, And Metroid Fusion also came out on the Same Day as Prime.

Happy 10th to Fusion as Well. :) 

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

10 years already? damn . i was blown away when i first played it.

its a must own for the gamecube.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Really, ten years ago? That is awesome, but sadly, that is also the last time we had a truly good console Metroid game. Prime 2 and 3 were not terrible, but they were vastly inferior to the original. Echoes had way too much backtracking while Corruption was too easy. The less said about Other M the better.

4. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I seem to be one of the few people who love Metroid, but couldn't really get into the Prime games. Bought and beat the first, but wasn't crazy about it enough to buy the others.

6. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
  7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    10 years already? I had in mind that Metroid Prime was new. Damn. I knew there is a third part, but it felt like it was just recently...

I have never played it, my brother had the new Nintendo consoles, I did not like the new consoles after the Super Nintendo.

I remember when I got my Gameboy, the first game I bought was Metroid II: Return of Samus. Just because the box art looked cool. It was the best game I ever had on Gameboy. Although Mystic Quest was fun too and Zelda :D  I found out later that Metroid I was on NES. I loved Super Metroid, especially the great music and the colors. Wow. Metroid Fusion is also nice.

8. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Yup.

9. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Metroid Prime, along with Wind Waker and a new (new to me at least) Gamecube, got me back into gaming. It was such a good game, on every level. Echoes was alright but Corruption knocked it out of the park making for a good cap to an excellent trilogy.

And speaking of trilogies, I had been looking for the Wii version for a while, but kept finding $80-100 ebay auctions for what seemed a rare game and getting rarer. But I stopped in EB Games yesterday and found a copy for $40. So I picked it up and am currently playing through the first game before my Wii gets supplanted by the Wii U tomorrow. Still enjoying the crap out of it and it's been long enough that it's almost an entirely fresh experience.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I'm still trying to figure out how 10 years ago on GAMECUBE technology, we got an amazing game with great graphics, story, etc. all bundled into one package, and then two more that were just as good relatively speaking.

And then we got Other M, which the creator can talk all he wants about how the graphics are supposed to be an homage to the original, but it just looks horrible (no excuse for why GAMECUBE graphics look better on average than that PoS). And honestly, I preferred Samus being Chell's long lost sister anyway.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I don't think there's a track from the whole trilogy I don't adore. They're all just so exotic and atmospheric.

Heck, everything about the games is wonderfully exotic and atmospheric. That's true for every Metroid title, but the Prime trilogy takes it to a whole other level.

12. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Agreed. Echoes had some pretty cool music.

13. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

10 years already!? Damn!
    Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime: Echoes are both my favorite of the the Trilogy, Corruption was ok, but something about it didn't sit right for me. The first time I played any of the games was though the "Metroid Prime Trilogy" Wii release. I loved the music from the games, my favorite music from each game is: Omega Pirate's boss theme from MP1, Quadraxis' boss theme from MP2, and Rundas' boss theme from MP3 (also the three are my favorite boss fights as well, which is why I have a save file left before the fight so I can fight them at any time I want).

I just hope the next Metroid game release has the same gameplay style as the Prime Trilogy, and not like the horrid "Other M" (never purchased the game, seen gameplay on youtube).

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Metroid fusion was awesome

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
  16. quantumhawk

quantumhawk Retired Allspark Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never had a Gamecube, so other than a demo in-store, I never got to enjoy these games. I got a Wii a year or two ago used and I was very excited to find the Trilogy sans external case for around $40 at a used game store. I played through the first few parts of Prime...and was not a fan. It was boring to me, and extremely hard to make anything out even at high brightness. Of course, I didn't know at the time that my old TV was starting to go out, but even still...dark game. I finally ended up selling it on Ebay because I just couldn't get into it.

Unfortunately I had the same experience with Zelda: Skyward Sword, but that one I intend to go back to over Christmas and start over.

17. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ It's aged a little bit. But yeah a lot of people who can't get into it don't particularly like the isolation in the atmosphere and piecing together parts of a puzzle like story. For most Metroid nuts this was an instant hit. Plus for it's time it was incredible looking and was doing something different with the first person view.

We're forgetting another one of the best themes here:

Metroid Prime Music- Phendrana Drifts - YouTube

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime was ok as a game, to be honest though Fusion was the last great Metrodi game and is still the last chronologically speaking. I keep hoping Nintendo will see sense and release a true Metroid 5 done in a 2D style but with 3D graphics like how they did New Super Mario Bros.

19. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    This.

20. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They were some great games. Thoroughly enjoyed Prime 1 all the way through, Echoes was okay and I didn't really like Corruption (except the final stage. That was very Metroid-y!). I think I prefer Other M to all of them though. Traditional Metroid is about fast paced action and survival, whereas Prime was about exploration and adventure.

Hopefully both series will continue to release alongside each other (like 3D Mario and Super Mario Bros titles)- I'd love to see a bigger, better version of Other M to follow that storyline and still get a Prime-like adventure title.

Best of all- I'd LOVE to see Fusion recreated in side-scrolling HD 3D on the Wii U. That would be such a fantastic game.

Right there's a problem that most Metroid titles in 3D haven't been able to handle- Fusion had such atmosphere, pace and story. The 3D Metroids just haven't compared.

Anyway, here's to another happy decade of Metroid!