Metal Gear, worth getting into?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omegashark18, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I’m well aware of Metal Gear, one of the greatest gaming franchises in history. It’s rough end in recent years due to a dispute between its creator and publisher.

But, is the game hard to get into? I know that it’s a little on the weird side, with many offbeat moments scattered throughout the games. It’s story is on the convoluted side from what I’ve gathered and to top it off it’s cutscenes are LONG, so I’ve heard. Not to mention some characters are down right weird.

Now, MGS 4 and 5 are the most recent entries, though the former is a PlayStation 3 exclusive. In all likelihood I won’t be able to get that until the PS5 comes out(since that’s supposedly going to have BC).

I also know that MGS 2 and 3 have HD version for 360 available on BC.

Of course the one most easily accessible is 5. Which I know that despite its high praise has its flaws and is unfinished.

My primary question is, is the series hard to learn or get into? Cause I’m thinking that it’s about high time I give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's one of my favourite game series but I only recently got into it with 5 and I think I did fine. I went back and did 1-4 afterwards and that definitely makes a difference, but 5 being an episodic sandbox means you pretty much just have to get through the first half-hour in the hospital and then you're caught up.
    1 is good, definitely dated in a way I wouldn't call the PS2 ones gameplay-wise but still worth it and while the long custcenes will always be a thing there's more good I think. I love 2, it's the weirdest so mileage may vary. There's a meta-narrative going on and that's the part that makes whatever's going on before that final reveal worth it. But part of that assumes on a knowledge of 1.

3 you could play on it's own being a prequel and my favourite of the series. It also tones down the weirdness after 2 so that's a pretty accepted opinion. The gameplay is amazing in this one and it has the best long cutscene. Great characters and boss battles. You can destroy a plane at the start of the game so that it doesn't patrol the mountains at the end. You get a few seconds to kill one of the bosses while he's asleep if you have a sniper. That same boss is really old and dies of old age if you wait a week. You can destroy a base's food supply and that will weaken the soldiers. If a vulture eats a soldier and you eat that specific vulture a specific encounter will acknowledge that because the game tracks every single death and how you killed them for that encounter. Alternatively you can finish the game without killing anyone and while technically that's true of the other's in the series this one was enjoyable enough to do on my first run rather than a challenge on replay. It's also got great pacing between action and quiet moments. Ladders are a bit of a joke with Metal Gear fans because of it, but as part of the story it's a great moment just before the end. There's great survival and camouflage mechanics in this game that never get used again because each entry changes things up. Love it.

4 is the most convoluted and even that one has it's moments when it's not being convoluted. 2 wasn't supposed to be followed up on and 3 was standalone and then 4 goes "everything is connected" with them instead. It's good when it's not doing that.

2-5 even if you skipped every cutscene you'd probably have a good time with gameplay, although that's not what I did or would do. Maybe a bit of 4.

2,3 and 5 are all on Game Pass if you consider that a test-run. Avoid Survive. Obviously the HD versions help but it's great how the older entries still look good from an art and technical point of view.

EDIT: I still love 5's gameplay and it's themes, but story's not a strong point replaying with context. It's kinda doing a subtler meta thing than 2 and I like that, but 2 had other stuff. There's one good character, Kaz Miller, and someone needs to get the one woman in the game clothes I don't care about the lore reasons. 4 has that problem too.

Despite that, 3 and 5 definitely.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

They are all great games. You can get into MGS2 pretty easily, and there's enough in the cutscenes to explain what happened (more or less) in MGS if you really care about the story. The game play is good on any of them. MGS4, IMO, was crazy awesome and fun.

It sounds like you have non-Sony hardware, and that's OK. There are a couple of PS mobile releases (PSP, Vita) that are worth taking a look at. I enjoyed Peace Walker a lot more than I should have.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Oh, I know all about Quiet. It’s weird stuff like that that as always made me hesitant to play these games. Not to mention there’s Skull Face’s contradicting nature.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I could always just read up on the plots if need be. I do have a PS4, but I know it lacks BC. I haven’t checked PS Now(which I’m currently unsubscribed to).

6. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Also, which game is the one where we play as Raiden instead of Snake like advertised? And where you spend a portion running around naked and you can get tripped up by bird poop?

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Metal Gear Solid 2

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's 2. You start off as Snake for 5min then you're Raiden in a meta reconstruction of the first game for reasons, but actually other reasons, in which Raiden is Snake, but also Snake is there and someone else is apparently Snake AAAH! The one I like but I realise not everyone does. The naked bit isn't that long but it's good from a meta/character point of view. You're losing control of Raiden as he's too busy covering himself to do everything you want, he's giving himself away through no fault of his own with sneezes, the controller is swapping what the shoulder buttons are doing etc. This ties into revelations in the plot at this point and is the low before the final high where you and Raiden find a new dynamic as he gets his gear back and the game plays differently with a sword and a cheat-code using Snake as a partner. Very interesting, still an odd experience.

Also the one with bird poop, that's weird even if I only slipped once. The game does want to annoy you at the start of the Raiden section, that's what the first chapter with Snake is for. It's done so well as a legitimate and conventional Metal Gear sequel. The codec calls are a good example, they're expertly paced and interesting between Snake and Otacon. This makes it really stick out when you start playing as Raiden and the Colonel's making all these long pauses between sentences, repeating information and generally stopping you from playing the game in that first section. Then you take half a step and he CALLS YOU AGAIN. There's a reason for it, I like it, but damn.

I'm not sure if they are on PSNow, it's not available at all in Australia but apparently those particular games are a bit inconsistent. They used pressure-sensitive controls on the ps2/ps3 and while the Xbox has always remapped those buttons and that works fine with a skim of the manual, it's limiting on the PS4 not being a proper port apparently. But then they are there sometimes. And I can't remember if this is 2-4 or just 4 that's a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Part 1 is still my favorite in terms of story & characters. The gameplay just gets better with each entry, though the camo system of 3 can be a little cumbersome. Otherwise, yes, this is a great series worth getting into.

10. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime WORLD CHAMPS! Chop on!

I had trouble getting into MGS1, mainly because I found the controls weird. It was MGS2 that got me into the series, and it's my second favorite. Total mark-out moment for me when Paul Eiding recited one of Colonel Campbell's weirdest lines verbatim at a con a few years ago :D 

MGS3 is my favorite of the series, and one of my favorite games ever. Great story, great characters, tons of secrets, and an emotionally-charged final boss battle. I played it so much I got to the point where I could beat it without killing anybody (tranqs for everyone! :D ). Just make sure you never play the original vanilla PS2 release, its camera ruins the game. The Subsistence rerelease fixed that problem, and I believe all later rereleases incorporate the improved camera.

I was horribly disappointed in MGS4. For me, it was a huge step back for the series. But I won't get into the specifics because I don't want to lower your expectations; if you end up liking it, that's great.
    I own MGS5 but I haven't played it yet.

Yes, the series is worth getting into, but I would recommend playing 2 or 3 first.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I stopped at MGS4.

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    What can I say that hasn't been said yet... Metal Gear is a fantastic franchise and I thoroughly enjoyed every single one of them, even the spin offs like Metal Gear Revengeance or Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2.

But whatever you do, do NOT play Metal Gear Survive. That game should not have the Metal Gear name on it.

13. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I’m well aware of it long beforehand and I never had any intention of touching it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I played most of them. MGS1 (regardless if it's PS1 or Gamecube) to Revengeance.
    I haven't played MGSV since I'm currently grinding in PW.

But if you ask me, my personal favorite right now is MGS3.
    Story and Gameplay are superb. It's like MGS1 + MGS2 with no meta with added steroids.
    Due to this game, I appreciating Big Boss even more.

He's the Anakin Skywalker of the MGS the way I see it.
    Thanks to the MGS Legacy Edition for PS3.
    I have no plans getting longer playing PW but for some reason I'm grinding for the Mother Base.
    Such gameplay explains how Big Boss managed to build Outer Heaven for MG1 and MG2 plot.

Funny though that the franchise's plot just started from a misinterpretation of The Boss' Will.
    All of people's (involved in the story) sufferings is due to the almost never ending battle between Big Boss and Major Zero.
    If The Boss got resurrected she'll slap both guys. Because the two went lengths just for her "Will" and still went wrong. :lol 
    But if you think about it, the plot originated from US Government's Politics.
    In which it's Hideo Kojima's favorite topic, "Westernization of USA to other countries".

Anyway, MGS3 is the worthy one.
    If you want Sandbox and Base Building, MGSV
    If you like plain old stealth, MGS1. Play Twin Snakes if you like over the top cinematics.
    If you want mind-fuck, play MGS2
    If you want to finally end the whole story and see the closure, MGS4.
    If you want to play Bad-Ass Raiden, play Revengeance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    So the HD versions of 2 and 3 are together. I get one, I get both.

And I know that 5 has a prologue in the form of full game more or less. And that’s bundled up with the main game in one package.

Would only cost me 50 bucks to buy both of these...

So what about the original Metal Gear? Is that available on Steam?

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The first Metal gear solid has the best easiest to follow story. The best version to play for modern gamers is the game cube twin snakes version as it's more like Metal Gear solid 2.
    The second one had good game play, but the story gets very weird in places and I think Kojima got a little too into the all the little extras he was sneaking into the game play and not enough into the story. I remember people going nuts in the demo alone when they found you could shoot glass bottles and other items and have them explode on the ship which was something new at the time.
    3 has a better story again and solid game play.
    4's story isn't as solid, but is much better than 2 and again very solid game play.
    Same with 5, the story is a bit out there at times, but the game play works very well. So if you just skip many cut scenes you can just have fun playing many parts of the game.
    The PSP games are also all good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If there's one stuff cool about MGS2, it's about the game predicting the human societal behavior decades later in the world today.

How Metal Gear Solid manipulated its players, warning us of an age of Fake News, Cambridge Analytica and data surveillance | GamesRadar+
    https://theculturetrip.com/europe/u...things-metal-gear-predicted-about-the-future/

MGS2 is just Kojima have taken "A LOT OF NOTES (U.S. & Russian Politics, War Economy)" and went "too much mind fuckery" and labeled the games' theme as "MEME". Some may hate MGS2 doing a curve ball on the fans but after 19 years and these stuff happening in the world right now "as predicted", you'll appreciate the narrative behind MGS2.

It's typical Hideo Kojima. He'll do a stunt nobody can expect.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Omegashark18

News Credits:

Guys just a modern day Jules Verne isn’t he?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Definitely a difficult choice here, a part of me has always wanted to check these games out, but I’m just afraid I’ll be turned off by certain aspects or struggle with the age of some of them...

Guess it’s a good thing 2 & 3 are on Game Pass.

20. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Passions

News Credits:
    Get those two. Snake Eater is one of the best games in history IMO(and it’s also a prequel.)

Metal Gear really is worth it, truly.

• Like Like x 1