Megatron's Truce was True

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by KingMegatron632, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Pretty much. It's a Michael Bay movie.

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Because not a single scene had any thought put into it because Michael Bay.:rolleyes: 

I understand Megatron. I get that he wants to save his home and future generations of Cybertronians. The way he dotes on the hatchlings says a lot that there is a side of Megs that is genuinely sincere about saving his race. I see where he's coming from, and it adds a layer of depth to the guy. But in the end he was just too far gone, too wrapped up in his desire for power and conquest.

I'm no apologist for the guy. I just understand his motivation underneath it all. He's a tragic villain, especially if you take into account the comics (which TF Wiki considers canon) which naturally give him far more screen time than the movies ever could.

That being said, in the comics (especially in John Barber's DOTM where he's tailored it to fit the plot threads he'd been running/tying up since joining the Movieverse) he's clearly displayed as being world-weary and tired, and sincere in wanting a truce. In the movie, he's not sincere. Optimus tears his head off but through the magic of Hasbro/whoever the powers that be, he survived an axe to the head. I'm guessing next time Optimus is going to have to hack into his head with his axe, and keep hacking until nothing's left.

3. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

The truce ending in the novel was pretty great, but it only worked due to the small tidbits throughout the book from Megatron's perspective. Since the films have no concept of character development, the truce ending would have been a total ass-pull, even moreso than regular ending.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Brilliant

5. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    You know the thread title. It's crystal.

If a topic bothers you that much, don't click on it. Move along to the next one.

6. KingMegatron632

KingMegatron632 Well-Known Member

I didn't come here to start a fight or an argument. I knew that I would have disagreements with people about this subject. This was just my personal opinion which is something I should've put in the title of this thread.

I've posted this thread not to convince people but to find others who would have a similar viewpoint on my opinion and not to have my opinion shoved down my throat.

Let me try to use a better example of what trying to say: In the Transformers Universal Continuity (or micro-continuities) there are many different version of the characters. Lets start with Starscream. In the G1 show and comics, Starscream was a very treacherous Decepticon always trying to overthrow Megatron, trying to take command of the Decepticons (which cost him his life and then he came back to life).

Most of the other versions still have him with this characteristic but then came the Armada Starscream (I'll still talk about Energon and Cybertron). This Starscream at first wasn't the back stabbing person he was like in G1. He was just the underappreciated servant of Megatron and didn't like the way he treat him. Megatron in that series (being honest here) was a real dick to Starscream.

Though Starscream betrayed the decepticons for a while and sided with the autobots. He still felt like a decepticon and his true allegiance was to them (and being convinced by Thrust). I'm not trying to compare characterizations to Armada Starscream with Movie Megatron. I'm saying is that in each universe the character may slightly be different from the other versions.

Starscream (Armada) eventually went back to his G1 roots during Enegon and Cybertron but overall in the beginning he was different than the other versions of the character.

The way I feel about Armada Starscream is a little similar to the way I feel about Movie Megatron. The Movie Megatron was very different from the original G1 Megatron. Yes Megatron was a tyrant, he was a monster, he did terribly evil stuff I didn't say he was a heroic good guy. I'm just saying he realized all the evil stuff he did was wrong.

The same in could be said about the Transformers Prime Megatron. That Megatron was horrible evil and did tons of terrible stuff. Polluting Cybertron with Dark Energon, having Shockwave experiment on dead Autobots and that's pretty bad. Though in the end that Megatron came to the same realization that he was wrong.

When Unicron took control of Megatron's body it was against his own free will sure he tried to fight Unicron. But was tortured by Unicron every time he resisted the same way he tortured the Autobots when they resisted him. Basically the old saying of "What comes around goes around" is very true and Megatron got a taste of his own medicine and didn't like it.

He realized that what he did was wrong, in the aftermath of it all he was even done being the leader of the decepticons. He even stated this "I now know the true meaning of oppression and thus lost my taste for it".

Could the same thing be said about Movie Megatron in a way yes. Megatron experienced his own oppression at Sentinel Prime's hand and didn't like it.

Like I said I really didn't come here to fight with anybody I was just trying to express myself, but I feel like I'm condemned for it. I just wanted to find people who share a similar viewpoint. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm just trying to tell them my personal opinion. I'm still very new with this posting stuff.

I probably never would have posted this if I wasn't sure about it. But I got my research together and posted my opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone if it sounds like it my bad. This is my final post for this thread I'm thinking about starting a new one soon.

7. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    I get what you're saying, but there's a few marked differences here.

When you post online, or even in real life, you'll have people who have discussions with you. Not everyone is going to agree with your points and will provide a counter argument to your own.

Some of them have made the counter argument in a joking manner (like the truce meme above) but it still gets the point across. It's not insulting or damning, they just don't agree and show you why they don't.

Unfortunately, you'll find people that disagree on whatever you say, regardless the topic. Fortunately though, because if we all agreed on the same thing, there wouldn't be a need for discussion forum and this place wouldn't exist, yeah?

You'll also find many people who disagree and then attempt to belittle you for it. That happens here too. Just don't let them drag you down.

8. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

No, he realized he'd lost his power to Sentinel, and being the power-hungry tyrant he is, he couldn't allow that, and took out Sentinel, whom, at the time, he had a truce with.

He was mocking Prime because he arrogantly believed Optimus couldn't go on without him, hence "Who would you be without me, Prime?" I mean, if you were trying to make a truce with an enemy, would you argue that they couldn't go on without you?

I never said you were an idiot or a fool, and I won't judge you for your opinion. I'm just pointing out why I disagree with it.

Most of his forces destroyed, and his closest ranking generals were dead. He had nowhere else to turn, and decided he could convince Optimus that he needed Megatron. His tone was definitely mocking, and his body language appeared more hunched, challenging, and ready for a fight.

You have somewhat of a point there. Sentinel Prime was a well-meaning extremist, and he did ultimately make the choice to side with the Decepticons, but Megatron still took advantage of his extremism and used it against the Autobots. Megatron was in no way blameless for Sentinel's betrayal.

9. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Those are good examples, and the reason he turned against Sentinel in the first place was indeed because he felt oppressed. However, the Movie Megatron never acknowledged that his own actions were wrong the same way Prime Megatron or Armada Starscream did. All he did was make an incredibly unconvincing offer of a truce with no evidence that he'd changed his ways, and Optimus understandably didn't buy it.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Ignore the existence of the comics and book for a minute.

There is absolutely NOTHING in how the scene was portrayed on screen that suggested this proposal was in earnest. Just listen to the way Hugo Weaving delivered that line; he might as well have said "Surrender or DIE!!!!!!"

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I've always wondered why they had two different endings anyways?

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Bay and the studios wanted the ancillary stuff to end differently for whatever reason.

13. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Jesus, why is this so amusing?

Optimus' look is just so fitting.

14. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ignoring all real-world possibilities as to why this scene is the way it is...

Surely Megatron rebuilding himself as Galvatron and attempting to restart the war and/or his old schemes proves that he was very much lying

15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I love the truce ending, but it was clear in the film Megatron just wanted the opportunity to rule Earth alongside Prime.

16. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Exactly. :thumbs2: 

17. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Why would Prime rule earth?
    Megatron just wanted leadership back of the cons, and a truce to regroup his troops before he went into action again.

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I think he was trying to tempt Prime with shared rule of Earth. But Prime was having none of that.

19. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Nelson said that the studios didnt wanted the film and the adaptations to share the same ending, so had the ending for DOTM changed

20. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Basically, Megatron was jealous of Optimus and wanted to be equal or higher.

I don't buy the fact the truce was true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.