Megatron to Galvatron (G1)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galaximus Prime, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Galaximus Prime

Galaximus Prime Humans are so plicomcated

I know this probably seems like a stupid question to some but I wanted to pose it anyways. I'm a G1 fan, born in '84, grew up on this stuff.

Okay, this is a question that has been on my mind for a while now. In the original 1986 film, we see right after Megatron 'agrees' to Unicron's terms, that his body goes into a completely solid grey form before the actual reformatting happens, and his wounds are even healed in the process.

My big question is did Megatron die just moments before the process starts, thus why his body turned the grey color that it did? Or was this part of the reformatting process? Also, were his other minions already dead or were they much like him and just near the brink of death? Thanks guys! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Personally I never thought of it as him dying -- more like him gradually turning into that "schematic" form before turning into Megatron. But I guess it's open to interpretation!

• Like Like x 2
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't think he dies, since we see him still moving. He even turns his head to look at Unicron. The way he's shaded and drawn even looks more like he's turned shiny/chrome, not flat grey like Optimus/Starscream did.

They were definitely all dead. They were basically just raw materials at that point. Only Galvatron kept his personality because only he was still alive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Due to the fact that they film creators were limited on how many deaths they were allowed to depict, And the special technique they used to draw attention to the characters. They definitely wanted us to know we’re dead…. I can’t completely agree with you.

But I will say they were as close to death as possible , Deactivated and definitely would not really have been able to be repaired by the conventional means known to transformers medics

So they definitely were raw materials at that point.

Indeed Galvatron was the only one that kept his personality

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Personally, I would like to see something like this redone where the cons who were used for raw materials, are still kind of in their personalities, but like ghosts stuck in other transformers. Like possessed transformers, kind of like the way Starscream took over Scourge in that one episode.

6. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I guess it's open to interpretation. What I've always seen is six characters simply getting new bodies. The change in personality for the five is just something that I've come to look at Beast Machines for a blueprint. I consider Thunderctacker, Skywarp, and the Insecticons personality change as being similar to what made Tankor, Jetstorm, and Thrust. The only difference is that the Rhinox, Silverbolt, and Waspinator's previous personalities broke through before the end of that series.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Primeultra

That’s certainly not a bad way to look at it. In fact, it’s pretty much what was suggested in the Wreckers bot-com exclusive comics with Skywarps Personality breaking threw from “Armada”

• Like Like x 1
  8. GuardianofIaconCity

GuardianofIaconCity TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't think he died. I think he was near death at the time. I think Unicron simply reformatted him into Galvatron.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jeffrey Hunt

Jeffrey Hunt Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    YouTube (Handle):
    I thought it was a new base coat of paint.

10. Rojixus

Rojixus Generation 2's Strongest Soldier

I don't even think he was near death until Unicron actively started killing him when he wouldn't take the deal. He was severely damaged, yes, but nothing truly life-threatening in and of itself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    I think the color change was just lighting.

12. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream Defender of Beast Machines and Clone Wars

I wouldn't say "definitely". They did all just speak to vote to stay aboard the ship. They managed to stay alive in stasis lock for 4 million years... they could survive a little space floating.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot What does God need with a starship?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I know TF 1986 was first, but Megs totally digivolved.

14. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

Megs didn't turn grey the way Optimus and Starscream did. His coloration difference was a sort of super-stylized artistic choice. Plus Megatron was already gray as his default color scheme so appearing that color wouldn't be unusual for him (unlike the very red Optimus and red-trimmed Starscream).

Megatron is also explicitly stated throughout the movie and season 3 to have survived to become Galvatron, including he himself acknowledging his lineage several times.

The rest of the bots never got a concrete answer on screen. Visually the movie suggests that Bombshell = Cyclonus, Thundercracker = Scourge, Kickback/Shrapnel = Sweeps, and Skywarp = Cyclonus' "armada" (which is never seen or heard from again). Script-wise the scene was written in a non-specific way that made no connections. Storyboards explicitly single out Bombshell by visual and name and ignore Skywarp. And some later interpretations have either leaned into the above pairings, swapped Bombshell and Skywarp (so that there's symmmetry of the 2 Seekers becoming Galvatron's lieutenants and the Insecticons becoming clone troops), or claimed that it doesn't actually matter because the various new underlings were cobbled together from an assorted mish-mash of parts from all the other Decepticons present and only Galvatron was a straight 1:1 conversion.

As for whether or not they're dead when it happens, who knows. Nothing says for sure either way, but it seems not unreasonable to think they were dead and rebuilt, given that none of the acknowledgements of past lives the way Galvatron had. Whether that means they expired on their own or Unicron hollowed out their spark chambers and shoved a brand new essence in there during the rebuild is up for fans to endlessly argue about.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Primeultra

Some later interpretations? Not that I really wanna get into a large argument about this with anyone, but which interpretations are you referring to swap out Skywarp for bombshell?

Or are you referring more to the stuff out of Japan?

16. Jazzman Crothers

Jazzman Crothers Style Police

Whether he died or not, it would of been for a few seconds and he came back with just a new body and name. IMO if we had witnessed Megatron's body first being torn apart and destroyed, with him in visible pain, then being reassembled into Galvatron, it would of been a far more dramatic experience to watch!

17. Primeultra

Maybe more dramatic…….but how does it change anything in regards to the issue being Discussed?

I’m the first to admit that the scene where they get their new bodies can be seen in a few different ways

But the character identities himself quite clearly in both actions and dialog as the film continues

18. DiamondTiara

DiamondTiara Class President TFW2005 Supporter

His minions were dead, and I believe that Megatron survived - just that his personality was also reformatted and his identity changed into Galvatron. Megatron isn't dead. He's a memory of Galvatron, but Megatron as an identity is functionally gone.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The idea that all the Decepticons 'died' and what comes out of the reformatting is just pieces of themselves jigsawed together by Unicron into new beings with some vestiges of their source parts as some mockery of what the Allspark does is a pretty cool idea. They could have run with that and ended up with something pretty eerie.

I always felt Galvatron's dialogue seemed to imply that he had much of his "Megatron" memories and seemed to see himself as the same person, or at least something that was tied to Megatron ("Here's a hint", "...Its a pity you Autobots die so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now") but I don't think we get that same thing from the other minions. If anything, they're the opposite ("Yes, but we belong to him"), so maybe they were already dead (closer to dead) or frankensteined together differently or otherwise had their identities erased in a way the strong-willed Megatron/Galvatron didn't? I don't think its something that gets enough attention, even in Season 3 (and Webworld, sort of).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Primeultra

I respect your opinion but that flies against the evidence presented in the film snd the following season

In the film, Galvatron is a rejuvenated Megatron , he “so to speak” ate from the tree of live and is acting the way he did whrn he was a young man

Galvatron from season 3 is suffering from psychological damage from exposure to the “plasma bath” he was soaking in from what seemed to be several months

So Galvatron may be a changed man, similar to how any of us would be a changed person after suffering a traumatic event but he not a newly created entity

• Like Like x 2