Megatron is really Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I don't give a crap that it's not G1. I'm not a G1er. I agree the movies do have the right to be different IF they are a bit similar. I'm complaining that they are NOT AT ALL SIMILAR. You don't seem to get that.

I would honestly enjoy the movies allot more if they weren't Transformers at all because they aren't really. Just because they use the names of Transformers characters they're suppose to be Transformers? Have you seen "Transmorphers" it's bascially the same thing as the Transformers movies only better because they're not trying to pass themselves off as Hasbro characters.

You can't call yourself Batman if you're wearing a mosquito costume.

I'm not hating on the movies because they're not G1, I'm hating on the movies because most of it's characters fail to be recognizable as Transformers. Beast Wars, R.I.D., Armada, Energon, Cybertron all have recognizable Transformers design aspects that you can tell who most of the characters are meant to be. There's a few odd balls in there like R.I.D. Ultra Magnus or Energon Ironhide who stray REALLY far away from the original characters. But in the movies only Optimus Prime, Soundwave, and Shockwave are recognizable characters while everyone else seems to be an entirely new character.

Bumblebee is just yellow so that some how is suppose to make me instantly recognize him as Bumblebee? So I guess Cheetor and Hot Shot are also Bumblebee sense they're both yellow too. I don't really recognize him as any Transformers character. Actually what he reminds me of is a non Transforming robot made by an entirely different toy company. Great way to sell toys, someone else toys that is.

I just like to be able to look at a character and know who the hell they're suppose to be without looking it up on the internet, is that so wrong?

2. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think the real question is did we get the best megatron representation for the movies.

Answer is definately no. He was obviously a character they did not know how to write because of some of the obvious reasons is there is no rule except for his then he walks right over to the fallen and says yes emperor i am your apprentice.

lol

The reality is they wanted to go so many differant directions with the movie because no one knew how to handle the story or the brand. That is why the movie suffered from bad or little characterization. Hell they screwed up the ultimate sentimental warrior in Prime from just about every incarnation. That was all a reaction to him getting his ass kicked in Part 1.

If you defend the movie version of Megs you pretty much dont really care for Megatrons character to begin with because he was never really Primes 1 on 1 nemesis which is one of the best things about him.

These movies dont suffer from them writing a different continuity they suffer from bad writing and the writers not knowing how to take Bay's bad ideas and tweaks and still make it work for the characters.

Case in point is the end of the story in the novel is better than the movie as it fits more to the character of who they are. That is the directors decision to change that.

I think he killed everyone off he could so there would be no comparison from fans if they continue these movies.

3. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I agree that movie Megs is a rubbish villain, I will never accept an argument that his design was poor (unless we're talking RotF, what the hell was that?). His 3rd movie design in particular was probably the nicest Megs design ever.

4. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    If you remember Megatron was planning this for over 50 years. He was just being The Fallen's "bitch" (as you would call it) to eliminate the Fallen himself. Thus giving Sentinel the ability to bring Cybertron to Earth. It would take a genius to develop such a plan. Check the By George I've Got It thread for the rest of it. The guy who wrote that is a genius too.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Trolls love trolling. LOL! Every time someone says 'This isn't G1' They never have anything useful to say. That's always been such a cop out response.

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I agree. Let's break it down.

Movie 1. Rampaging barbarian, with no brains. (Plus he looked more like Swampthing than Megatron)

Movie 2. Darth Vader, second banana to the Fallen.

Movie 3. Hobo with a shotgun. Weakened and crippled, and emo.

And btw I think he killed everyone off he could so there would be no comparison from fans if they continue these movies.
    I could not agree with you more!!!!!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    /Thread.

8. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

It sounds like you need to see the movie again, to remember some finer details.

When Megatron begged for his life, it was a rouse to make Optimus lower his guard so Megatron could blast Optimus.

Galvatron attempted to betray Unicron, and failed. He hated Unicron, but knew he was over powered by him.
    In ROTF Megs was disappointed when Optimus killed his master, and he never tried to betray the Fallen (at least in the movies)

9. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    implying that he wouldnt just go back to trying to find a way to take over after giving up and thats why optimus killed him to end the cycle for humanities sake.
    implying that he wasn't with sentinel or had plans outside of what he was being directed to do by the fallen

megatron is not starscream. he is megatron. you cant compare continuities that are not trying to be the same thing. which before ANY of you reply back that youre not....yes, yes you are. just give it up already and stop hurting your precious nostalgic dreams by watching these movies.

10. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    You should be arrested for saying Transmorphers was a better movie then anything. That movie is a reminder to me of how stupid humanity is.

11. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I agree.... Movie Megatron should have been Starscream by how he was written, and Megs should have been the Fallen and Sentinel Prime. The DOTM would be the only movie that needed significant changes script wise.

The issue to me is this. None of these things matter to the casual fan... but why draw in and cash in on brand loyalty and then not offer what is advertised? If you offer Transformers (I.e. certain characters and personalities) why not deliver that? Starscream didn't really resemble or act like Starscream(tho I like the new design)... so why even name him Starscream? Megatron acted like Starscream, (subservient, a second fiddle, and a sneak attack artist). Movie 1 Megatron WAS Megatron. All subsequent versions were not.

In short I like the movies, but their portrayal of the characters was, for the most part, horrible. Optimus Prime is changed into a unstoppable killing machine, Megatron is the generic villian with little backbone and no fight in him, Starscream is turned into Igor (even tho THEY include an IGor in part 3... why?), Bumblebee becomes the most badass Autobot warrior...

Long story short, whenever a reboot happens, Hasbro needs to defend their property. Optimus Prime should be more noble and less bloodthirsty and unstoppabele, Bee can stay much the same, but PLEASE stop giving him badass warrior moments, Starscream should be written like Movie Megs was, and Megatron should be Hitler, Stalin, Dracula and Manson, with a touch of Genghis Khan.

It just upset me that they chose to really write those 4 most fully, and yet still got them all so wrong, and even more so that Hasbro couldn't convince Bay to design action scenes around characters instead of what his favorite car designs were.Movie 1 started us off in the right direction, and then they just went off the grid.

12. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    This is NOT G1!!! Why is that SO hard for some of you to get?? You might as well bitch that Optimus was a truck and not monkey.... Thats how asinine this "argument" is!

13. hotrodreeves

hotrodreeves Well-Known Member

i hope the new superman movie includes superman stabbing the local criminals with a kitchen knife.
    and the next batman film has bruce wayne as a slob with an iq of 25
    and the spiderman reboot has spiderman as a 200pound sumo wrestler.
    then, THEN maybe the idiots that keep complaining at those with thought out arguements as to why they disliked the bay movies will understand why we don't cum over every second of these horrible films.
    i mean- what's the difference. prime and co are nothing like their personalities over the years.

YES- bay gave us films that made money
    YES- BAY gave us films that the majority like
    and YES- bay has done the tf franchise a favour by making successful films which is a great thing.

BUT NO- I dont have to like them just because the majority do
    NO- because i wanted the characters to slightly resemble their original personalities does not mean i want a g1 episode in cgi instead of what bay gave us
    and NO- BOTH lovers of the films and haters must be allowed to voice their opinions with thought-out arguements without being labled as trolls, or baylover, or geewhiner, or anything negative.

14. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

What every single person that complains about that [except maybe Ash] seem to forget is: Optimus killed before [IDW comics for you] in countless occasions [and keeps doing it, as seen in TFP]. COUNTLESS occasions.

You can argue whether Movie-Optimus went overboard or not, but not complain just because "he killed it", because that trait was present way, WAY before Movie-verse Optimus.

And comparing Bay-verse to Superman movies and Spiderman movies doesn't make a nick of sense either, because the TF franchise is built around reboots, around new interpretations and changes [while those others are not, for the more Superman loves that Infinite Earth Crisis crap].

Another reason this comparision makes no sense, is because in all settings you mentioned, the heroes never killed because of some strict moral code, Optimus essentially TRIED to kill everyone in G1 [it's a goddamn War, after all], he just missed every single shot [or the shots that DID strike his enemies didn't do much to them] because the cartoon didn't allow violence.

Optimus Prime - Noble, wise, calm yet strong leader voiced by Peter Cullen.
    Ironhide - Badass War veteran.
    Ratchet - Calm, intelligent and educated medic.
    Bumblebee - Ingenous and bumbling young dude.

AAnd the list goes on, most of them is pretty fitting with their original personalities.

Opinions are fine, but you guys are going overboard.

15. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Um..."we" are not the target market lol. I suppose you could say that we were part of the target market for the first movie, but you could also clearly tell that they were already trying to reach a wider audience. After the success of the first movie, can you seriously expect that anyone would cater to all of our wants and needs?

WAKE UP.

If that were the case, there would have to be like, 50,000 different versions of each TF movie.

This. And I like how it was nicely broken up instead of a gigantic wall of text.

16. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Couldn't have said it better myself

17. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

THIS 1000000000000 TIMES :thumbs2: 
    Overlord Balder well said I Agree 100%

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

the issue with most is that it wasnt a character trait of the 80's Optimus.

Sorry but thats just not the case.

80's Optimus went out of his way not to kill.Now true thats largely because vit was a childrens product and they didnt allow it then.

But thats the real world reason.And instead of just writing stories that had the bad guys getting away before they were killed, the writers wrote stories that showcased Optimus letting the bad guys get away.

Even once having Megatron on the floor, defenseless, and he still gave Megatron to option of surrendedering.

That type of writing depicted the character as one that would not kill, even if it was unrealistic.

19. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    ...Wait, WHAT? How so?

20. sued1234

sued1234 Banned

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but you really cant be so naive to think we [the fans] were the targeted audience/

They were after the the general movie audience not the established fanbase.

The same writers did the same thing with the 09 Star Trek film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.