Megatron/Galvatron movie designs ranked worst to best

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Feb 7, 2019.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Apperently there is a deleted scene with Megatron in it for the Bumblebee movie but I haven't seen that design so I will not be including it. Based on some concept art I imagine it'll easily be number 1 but I'm not sure how accurate that concept art is to the deleted scene they shot.

2007, RotF, and AoE Megatron/Galvatron are just going to tie because I hate all of them and can't decide how to rank them. The Megatron's are just ugly, Galvatron doesn't look like he can even Transform and he's ugly. I also kinda like Galvatron just because it's the first time since 1986 that Galvatron has been a new mold and not a straight repaint of Megatron. So it's really hard to decide where to rank them.

DotM Megatron... you know a design is ugly when losing half his face is an improvement.

TLK Megatron as long as he has his battle mask on this design is actually a huge improvement over the others. This is the first and only movie Megatron I've honestly liked.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

AOE
    DOTM
    '07
    ROTF
    TLK

TLK in the lead all the way for me as favorite (yeah, I know I'm going in opposite order as the thread says - force of habit).
    ROTF is a distant second - second because it's mostly beefy and bad^$$, but distant because of the g*** arm (and for literally being called that on the concept art).
    I'd probably put his 2007 design next because of the final head design, because of his melee weaponry, and because he still has a Cybertronian vehicle mode, but those are pretty much the only plus points in its favor - past that, it's almost literally walking scrap metal.
    I like DOTM's Mad Max truck mode and the shotgun, but the robot mode's kind of depressing, with half a head and that silly-^$$ Phantom of the Opera cape-&-cowl tarp that makes Sentinel's cape and Crosshairs' trenchcoat look exquisite by comparison.
    Galvatron...how exactly does THAT transform into an Argosy, again? Oh, yeah, that's right, magic pixie dust. Pass.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

TLK Megatron's his best design by far, rendering the first movie design utterly redundant. The other three designs, the RotF, DotM, and AoE designs are all expressions of different concepts which work rather well: RotF is the beefy tank, but I wish that he had two murder arms. AoE works for what it is; I'm more forgiving of kibble-less designs given that the Transformers in this series are made of programmable matter (thus making any retained kibble a matter of choice for them). DotM, meanwhile, perfectly depicts a worn-down Megatron on his last legs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF
    TLK
    TF1
    TF3
    AOE

(Best to worst)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Ding dong THE BAYVERSE IS DEAD!

DOTM Megatron is the only one I like. Everything else is kind of garbage...but AoE Galvatron takes the cake and not just because of my raging hatred for anything with that film. I legit think it's the worst movie design of any 'transformer' because it wasn't designed to transform into anything and yet somehow supposedly is supposed to become a truck with zero parts in robot mode looking like it came from any kind of recognizable vehicle? It is just a piece of shit no matter how you look at it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

^RotF
    ^TLK
    ^DotM
    ^Movie 1
    ^AoE

Anyway, a Megatron with the Bumblebee prequel aesthetic would be my favorite, since BUCKET HEAD

7. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    I'll get back to you after I see that Concept art of him in Bumblebee

8. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Worst is undoubtedly the 2007 robot mode. Wow, do his joints where his shoulders meet his arms look flimsy as heck. He just looks too flimsy for Megatron.

Then RotF.

I really like both Galvatron and Dark of the Moon Megatron. Galvatron gets major points for looking sleek and futuristic, with a Vortex grinder in his chest where his Spark should be. He has an ugly face...and it's lovely as a result, because that's exactly the point! And boy is it visually expressive, just like Welker's voice acting. But I also really like Dark of the Moon Megatron as a beat up truck with chains, who wears a cape, and who has half of his head blown away. So it's tough to choose between those two.

The Last Knight is the best Megatron design. Medieval looking, with a fusion cannon, a battle mask, and a sinister but visually expressive looking face.

9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    TLK Megatron

By far my favorite. He looks solid, powerful, and just all-around cool. I remember being skeptical of this design when I first saw the animal-like mask, but the full body and face ended up looking great.

DOTM Megatron

I guess this would be my second favorite? I don't really love anything except the TLK design, but I have to give this points for being unique. I do love the Mad Max-style truck, which is the reason I put it above the others. The robot mode is just kind of a beat up version of his first trilogy design.

AOE Galvatron

Didn't love it, but it was serviceable. I thought the glowing hole in his chest was a neat touch, and I think the face was a step up from the other three movies.

ROTF Megatron

Eh, it was an improvement over his first movie design, I'll give it that. Other than that, I find it kind of bland and visually uninteresting.

2007 Megatron

Honestly one of my least-favorite designs in the series (and even the brand as a whole). I get what they were going for, but it just didn't work for me at all. Way too partsy (even by movieverse standards), and overall just kind of uninteresting. This design has always just looked like a blob of random metal shards to me, without many distinct parts or features. The only thing I'll really give him is that the face is kind of scary, and I like how he combines his arms into a cannon.

Well, since he transformed by completely splitting apart at a molecular-level, he didn't really need to have any truck parts on his robot mode. KSI probably gave the other drones have car parts for branding purposes, Galvatron's original design probably would have had truck parts too. But remember, Megatrons' consciousness redesigned Galvatron, and he probably didn't see the need to give himself Earth truck parts.

Pretty much my thoughts too. What you describe about 2007 Meagtron is one of the problems I have with the design aesthetic of the first trilogy in general (mainly the first movie, things started improving a bit in ROTF and DOTM). A lot of the robots look too flimsy, and some parts (even entire limbs) are held on by very thin joints. I guess it works as a stylization thing, but I'm surprised how many people see those designs are 'realistic'. Fair enough, but I just can't see that at all.

I really like the AOE/TLK designs. To me they look so much more solid and powerful, they look more battle-ready.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TwitchingFool0

TwitchingFool0 Well-Known Member

1. TF1 I just really cant make myself like it.

2. AOE version I didn't care for it other than the face. I actually liked it.

3. DOTM Megatron I really like the parrelel between him and OP. Thought it was great.

4. ROTF I just love how much more creative and Frankenstien's monster he looks. A major improvement and the tank form is a beauty.

5. TLK Megatron is just perfection. Big, mean, nasty, and just a sight to behold. Everything about it just screamed "I AM MEGATRON!" We finally got his arm cannon correct. To this day TLK Megatron is my favorite design he has ever had and nothing has come close for me. (If only they went with him being a former gladiator. Then it would've fit even more.)

11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Concept art doesn't count. If it did we'd be ranking like 20 different designs per film...

I think you meant once we see that deleted scene which is sure to be on the Blu Ray... that is if the rumors about the scene being fully completed before it was cut from the film are even true... I'm not entire sure the scene even exists because some people have claimed it was a scene on Cybertron while others have claimed it was shot inside the hover damn with a G1 looking frozen Megatron in the background.

I don't know why they would both to include Megatron being frozen in the hover damn yet give him an entirely different design. If you're having him frozen for the sake of consistency with the 2007 movie then it should also be the same 2007 design. If you're going to go with a more G1 look then why does it matter if he would of been frozen under the Hoover Damn, you've already broken continuity just by changing the design. Might as well go all out and have him fight in the Cybertron scene.

Plus even if the scene did exist I kinda doubt it'd have been completed before cutting it from the film. It seems more likely that we'd see something like the deleted Colosus scenes from the Deadpool movies. In those scenes Colosus is usually only partially rendered or is just a guy in a mocap suit depending on how far along they were in the animation before the scene was cut. I'm not really expecting to see a fully rendered Megatron but if a scene like that does exist then I'll happily add it to the list... and hope Hasbro makes a toy of it because it wouldn't be the first time they made a toy of a character who was cut from the film... looking at you 2007 Arcee.

I believe the legends class Constructicons while not all of those robot modes were in the actual movie they were all designed for the movie. There's even concept art showing one of them was suppose to be in that under water scene but they ended up using the design for a totally different constructicon with a more humanoid robot form instead of the guy who looks like a Bingo ball cage.

Hell even if the scene doesn't exist, I'll gladly accept concept art as long as Hasbro at least produces a toy based on it.

Speaking of which...

2007 Deluxe class Wreckage... That is actually the best movie Megatron... and he's not even a Megatron... he just has very Megaton looking features and a very Megatron looking color scheme... why isn't he Megatron?

12. Galvatross

The next Deshrekticon in the movies should be RotF Wreckage renamed Shrekage. He's a mean, green, fighting machine.

13. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would agree with many that TLK and ROTF seemed to be more represenatative of Megatron and looks great design-wise.

I used to like DOTM but it does not represent Megatron. It just seems more of a phase in his life. I never under saw the appeal of 2007, if he had any appeal, but he was just way too lanky to be "Megatron".

Galvatron I just accept as Galvatron as its own thing.

Seriously, I can' t think of the word that are using there (RE:"g***")

14. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't seem to be connected at all

• Like Like x 1
  15. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The TLK design is the only one which approaches being "pretty good", and even that could do with some finishing tweaks to make it more distinctive/iconic.

Aside from perhaps DOTM Megatron's vehicle mode, all the previous designs were just meandering messy attempts to create a robot villain. Anyone can draw a bunch of grey panels onto a humanoid frame - it takes thought to create an instantly recognisable and unique silhouette.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TLK Megatron's robot mode IS the design that comes very close to resembling his G1 design.

The only thing off about it is that his head doesn't have his iconic flat-top cap.

Has for his alternate jet mode, I prefer the wings to be swept-forward. The jet mode would look sleeker that way.

17. Galvatross

If anyone should have had TLK Bumblebee's breaking apart and coming back together ability, it should have been 2007 Megatron!

• Like Like x 1
  18. JoshimusPrime93

JoshimusPrime93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TF1 Megatron
    [​IMG]
    AOE Galvatron
    [​IMG]
    TF3 Megatron
    [​IMG]
    TF2 Megatron
    [​IMG]
    TF5 Megatron
    [​IMG]

19. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    In all movies he look like a creepy monster.The only decent design is in the last knight.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Active Member

Best

5. TLK: he looks so damn cool! Plus his voice was awesome. This is the movie where I finally saw the Megatron I wanted, but unfortunately he didn’t do anything that impressive and (quite literally) got kicked out of the movie.

4. DOTM: The damaged face and the cloak thing made him look awesome

After this, I really don’t care. The other ones looked pretty bland to me.

He never had anything that interesting to his design. I never liked how blatantly evil all of the Decepticons looked. At least G1 Megatron looked like a pretty normal bot, minus the red eyes. The Bayverse versions always have pointed teeth and claws and stuff and it’s kind of silly, esp when he’s looked like that since before the war.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019