Mega Man Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Venixion, May 27, 2020.

1. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Can't be 3d Dot hero.. That's PS3 only.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Given I was wrong about the game, I was probably wrong about the system too. I worked for Best Buy when the game came out, so it was on our shelves at the time.

Either way, we should probably get back on topic.

3. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I don't care if you guys go off topic sometimes in MY threads. Its how human conversation flows and it was certainly connected to something on topic. :D  Sometimes I think people on forums forget that conversations are like points in a river that branch off and divert, instead of going in straight, narrow lines. :rolleyes: 

So do you guys think that the big project they're talking about is a new BN? Or do you think they're making another lovely port collection to tide fans over?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Port collection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with some slight re-translated ports.

6. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    THANK YOU!!!! I'm glad someone else sees it that way.

I'd be just fine with a BN collection, but it also needs to include Network Transmission. They also need to get the anime released in the US next year with a proper release. No more of that edited dubbed shit, just give us the uncut Japanese version on SDBD.

7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I had a real hate/love relationship with MM11.
    I covered a lot of this in another thread, but I’ll summarize here.

I had a REALLY hard time getting the hang of MM11, to the point I shelved it for over a year. Came back to it a couple weeks ago and loved it, flying through the final 5 RMs and the Wily levels in 2-3 days.

I actually like the graphics and I think they fit the Mega-Universe very well. The music fits the game but lacks the “hummable” catchiness of the NES games. The RMs are cool and the weapons are the best since MM2. The voice work is corny but fits the game. It’s still awesome to me that Matt Trakker is Dr Light.

The game is pretty short, with only one Wily castle. My main issue is that something about the jumping feels a little off. It’s just not as precise as I’ve gotten used to, leading to many deaths, including a number caused by just running off a ledge because my gaming instincts told me to jump a split second later than the game wanted me to.

Overall, it was a huge learning curve, but I loved it once I got the hang of it. I look forward to MM12. We still need a RM named Toilet Man.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Venixion

News Credits:
    Really? That's interesting. I felt right at home with the controls, aside from the new way they'd set up the menu and the joystick. Kept hitting the stupid thing by mistake, though fortunately that could be disabled. I hafta admit that I do not like joysticks for platformers. They're imprecise and sometimes cause inopportune movements. Other then that, the controls are pretty sound. Jumping feels good, not nearly as weird as MM3, MM&B, MM7 and MMTWW. Sliding is fine, Mega moves at a nice, brisk pace.

The voice acting doesn't make me want to die of second-hand embarrassment and the voices sound good. Block Man sounds a bit like Fred from Scooby-Doo. Maybe whoever is doing him now voiced him? Acid Man sounds like a mad scientist without being over the top. Fuse Man remimds me of whoever Neji Hyuuga's English VA is, though its probably not. Blast Man's was a bit odd. Tundra Man is corny but funny. Bounce's was cuuute. Impact's a bit unmemorable and cliche'. Surely 3 brothers would have 3 voices? Mega Man's is pleasant all around. Granted my ears are attuned to R/S Mega, but this is such a nice substitute and he doesn't sound like a squealy kid. I didn't like Wily's because I'm so used to hearing him with a German accent, that hearing him without was...jarring. I have no strong opinion on Light's and Roll and Auto's voices are pleasant.

To each their own about the music, but I hum it alot, and the instrumentals make some of the original tracks better. I love both of Fuse Man's themes, both lend two very different moods that are stage appropriate. Both of Bounce's themes are so cheery and delightful. The piano sounds a little bit Pokemon and a little bit Vaudeville don't you think? I find Block and Blast Man's original themes better. Acid, Impact and Torch's instrumentals make them sound like tunes from an old-fashioned noir film. I sometimes work out to the Stage Select theme. Best one ever! EVER!! Tundra's theme is boring regardless. And I know Capcom is capable of making some gorgeous wintery music.

The graphics are gorgeous! I love the backgrounds, the day to night transitions, the color schemes, the fact that shrapnel from destroyed robots will fly towards the screen, the amazing details.

I haven't seen such a strong and balanced roster of robot masters in a long time. The fights are memorable, there isn't a single bad power that you earn, you can fight them with or without their weaknesses. Hell, I even like some of the mini bosses and that's never happened to me in a Classic game. The Thrill Twins, the Flaming Tin Turkey and the Reggae Dude are actually fun!

Two of the stages suck though, I'm not gonna lie.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  9. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey, look what I just got for my birthday:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I decided to replay the classic series front to back after my recent playthrough of MM7, I decided to share some thoughts on each game, so Megaman 1:

God, Megaman 1 is rough. It is definitely a fun game and I still enjoy it (bullshit hits notwithstanding, thank god for the rewind feature). The problem is the cheap level design and Megaman himself, I get that it is the first game in the series, but Megaman never controlled worse, having a slippery stop, very weighty and slow. Glad it was fixed later on. Outside of that, this game is still a lot of fun.

about a 6.5/10.

Yellow Devil is fun, stop complaining!

11. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Rewind feature?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    The switch version of legacy collection one allows you to press L to rewind your movements, I only used it on the Gutsman platforming section.

13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So what does it do? Does it like rewind the game as if you are turning back time? How far does it let you go back?

14. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    Yes, like you are turning back time, you move back with it too. It is kind of broken as it lets you unlimitedly rewind, unlike on the snes classic, which has a 5 second limit.

15. Venixion

News Credits:
    Mega Man is rough but fun. I have a soft spot in my heart for it, since it was my first. I rented it a helluva lot more often then 4 back as a kid. I never could bring myself to love 4. Anywho it has one of the strongest rosters in the classic series thus far. I haven't played 8,9,10 yet so I can't confirm how good those are. Its got good music, the yellow devil sucks ass, Guts Man and Ice Man's stages are terrible. I enjoy Elec, Cut and Fire Man's stages. Bomb's coulda been better. Wily's castle is aggravating. I'm really close to beating it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    Yeah bombman is the weakest stage and boss in the game, I beat him in 10 seconds spamming buster shots. Wily stages due suck, I'm almost to finishing it now.

17. Venixion

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say his stage is the weakest. Its middling.

Ranking stages:
    Elec Man
    Cut Man
    Fire Man
    Bomb Man
    Ice Man
    Guts Man

The last two are interchangeable, because I can't decide which is more awful.

And because we discussed 11, I'll rank those too.

Ranking Stages:
    Blast Man
    Fuse Man
    Block Man
    Tundra Man
    Impact Man
    Acid Man
    Bounce Man
    Torch Man

18. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    I'd say Iceman worst for incredible block puzzle with ice physics.
    I really need to replay it again, The only stage (including castles) I remember was Blastman's because his stage is basically just the red barrel and nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Venixion

News Credits:
    Ranking my top 10 favorites:
    1) Zero 3
    2) Zero 4
    3) Mega Man 5
    4) Mega Man 11
    5) Mega Man 2
    6) Zero 2
    7) Mega Man ZX
    8) Mega Man X4
    9) Mega Man X
    10) Mega Man V

DWR is a very underrated game. If you can grab it, get it. The original tunes are great, there's plenty of opportunity to farm extra lives in Wily's stage and Enker is, impo the best MM Killer.

4, 6, 7, BN2 and Advent are at the bottom of my list.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The Guts Man and Elec Man stages have one design problem in common. They both put the most difficult part of the stage at the very beginning, causing new players to become frustrated almost immediately. Elec Man's is much less punishing compared to instant death though.

• Like Like x 2