meditation.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oddobot, May 19, 2014.

1. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Any members on here actively meditate? I'm leaning towards beginning, and would like some advice.

Most times the information you can find from people on here is light years better than any search engine. And it's guaranteed to be a lot more fun.

Thanks!!!

2. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gone because someone had their cat declawed. Grr.

From previous experience, it doesn't work for me. I can't make my mind 'relax'.

I have a friend, however, who swears by it.

3. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I meditate once in a while. Calming the mind is important. Meditation music is also helpful.

4. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Same here. They say to clear your mind, but my mind is always racing.

5. Madame Zero

Madame Zero √Čtincelle Pirate

I meditate regularly. :)  When you first start, it is really hard to clear your mind. What helps with me is to have an area dedicated to meditation alone. Never do homework or work there, never use electronic devices there. When you're there, find the time to sit down and dedicate yourself to... Well, you!

Another thing that helps is to give yourself the time to meditate. If you've got a busy day, it won't help anyone who is new to it to try to squeeze in fifteen minutes. You'll just end up worrying about the rest of the stuff you have that day. Either wait until the end of the day, or find a more relaxed time later that week. Meditation is a process which will hopefully benefit you, but only if you allow yourself to get the hang of it.

When I first began meditating (eight years ago?) my father had me lay down as he told me a story. He kept it rather plain- I was the only character, and there was no real plot. He had me imagine laying in the grass on the top of a hill. Me having occasional paranoid tendencies, he ensured that I felt safe. Know that you are safe while you meditate. It is a place for your mind to guide you to better, not to lead you to harm. He described the surroundings in detail, before he explained the process of draining myself of bad energy. My friends and I find that it's most comfortable and beneficial to 'drain' yourself of the bad energy starting at your toes and working your way up. As you drain a section of your body, allow that part to relax. Don't tense your muscles or tap your toes in boredom. My dad would always allow me to revel in the relaxation, and had me imagine floating up with the clouds, a rope securely fastened around me so as to not be lost. While 'floating,' he would have me then imagine being filled with positive energy, weighing me down and bringing me back to earth.

Any sort of scenario will help, at first. Sometimes it can be difficult to clear your mind, so take a peaceful trip, instead. Always end your meditation slowly, don't jump right up and back into the world. Part of the peacefulness is to allow yourself to revel in it, even after you finish.

TLDR: You don't have to clear your mind, just relax.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No. I don't meditate but I probably should.

I was taught meditation techniques by my first Karate instructor and cool thing is one of the techniques can get rid of hiccups.

Seriously, I haven't had an uncontrollable bout of hiccups since I was 15, I can just switch them off.

7. Blazere

Blazere :)

News Credits:
    That post hurt my eyes :( 

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    describe this technique

9. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Use your mouse, left click at one end and highlight the entire post. That should help :) 

10. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

That was actually pretty interesting. I've never meditated myself, but you certainly helped provide a useful way to begin trying.

11. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I don't meditate regularly (way too ADD), but over the last few years I have had to work on techniques to clear my mind so I can get to sleep (otherwise, I lie awake worrying about everything). It doesn't work for everybody, but listening to asmr videos have worked wonders for me. I always listen to videos that are in a language I can't understand so I won't concentrate on whats being said. Either that or hair brushing sounds.

Hard to explain why it works- but it's sorta like it gives your mind something to latch onto so it's "occupied," but because the content is meaningless, you're not really thinking about anything in particular. Perhaps those would help?

There used to be a guy who did soft-spoken Transformer video reviews where he transformed TF toys and the sounds were great. Last I heard he was in the hospital as of 2 years ago and haven't him anywhere since the G+ update. :/ Pity- his were some of the best.

12. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

Depends on your definition of meditation. I consider clearing one's mind of all thoughts to be a scientific impossibility. Certainly, it has never worked for me.

However, you can "meditate" on something by focusing all your thoughts on whatever it is and thinking of nothing else but that. I seem to do that naturally and it's helpful. :D 

13. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

I took Karate years ago. They taught me to meditate when I was stressed or mad, and it seems to work.

14. Priest of Salem

Priest of Salem Well-Known Member

I've lived in two Buddhist monasteries before,I'll try and keep this post as religion free as I can.One I stayed for 4 months and did 500 hours of meditation within that time.The other I stayed for a similar amount of time but probably only got about 200 hours of meditation in plus about another 1000 hours during various other retreats.I've been meditating for the last 15 years and try to get some meditation time every day.I've experimented with a lot of different techniques and consider myself reasonably experienced so I can try and answer any questions that anyone has about meditation.

15. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

i began meditation 6 years back. when my mind is going insane from voices and racing thoughts, i meditate.

sometimes i have music to help calm the savage beast.

16. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I glanced and read mediation I thought he was in trouble with the law.