Medicom Miracle Action Figure EX(MAFEX) Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Sep 21, 2012.

1. infinite_virtue

infinite_virtue Well-Known Member

I don't have as many Mafex figures as I do SHFs and the most recent ones I got are Aquaman from his solo movie and Shazam. They've definitely come a long way since their first Dark Knight Batman but there is just something about the way they feel in-hand. To me they don't feel as solid to handle as SHF figures do. I do have Miles Morales and TDKR Batman on the way though so I am looking forward to getting them in hand. For the most part though, I generally prefer SHF over Mafex for now (at least for MCU stuff). Haha. The farwary release dates and delays don't help either.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

mafex1.jpg
    mafex2.jpg
    mafex3.jpg
    mafex4.jpg
    mafex5.jpg
    mafex6.jpg
    mafex7.jpg
    mafex8.jpg
    mafex9.jpg
    I snapped some quick pics of some of my Mafex figures before I put them away for a while, just so I could remember how I had them posed. Mafex figures are generally more pliable than SHF, but I don't view that as a negative. My favorite tactile figures are the Mezcos -- even though they are limited in terms of posing, the buttery smoothness of the joints and the ease for which heads and hands pop on and off are the best in the business in my opinion.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I was mainly referring to the previous post that I quoted about if certain characters ended up with “exceptional quality”. I was mainly alluding that I don’t think any Mafex has exceptional quality unless you are only comparing them with other Mafex. Like @infinite_virtue mentioned, I agree that they just don’t feel as good as other high end 1/12 toys. They have inconsistent paintwork (like the horrible Boba Fett) and joints (some are very loose to where they just fall out when barely handling). I also don’t think they make the greatest design choices (the bracelet to connect webs to spider man look really stupid). I do agree they have some good sculpts and sometimes paint apps (comic cell shaded Spidey is the best I’ve seen from a factory release). They are basically my last choice in high end 1/12 but I do have a lot because I go to them when there are no other options for certain characters or versions of them or when they sometimes do the best job. They are definitely getting better in general though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Legate

Legate Plastic Crack Addict

The angled double ball peg joint for the neck is also a useful piece of engineering. Takes a bit more work to move it around, but it really opens up the posing options once you do.

@Slave IV, SHF uses the same method and i agree that it isn't necessarily the optimal approach.
    What to you think would work better: a c-ring rather than a full one, webs that peg into the hands, or something else?
    I think webs with molded hands might look the best, but breakage could be a problem and it means a LOT of extra molded and painted thwipping hands.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-well-well Member

Futurama-Fry.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slave IV

There are some SHF Spideys that have peg in webs and effects on the hands. Gamerverse Spidey comes to mind for that feature. The different web options for that figure work very well and look great. Amazing Yamaguchi Spidey also has all peg in or normal looking web effects that don’t use a bracelet and those all look great too. Bracelet or even a “C-ring” :D  just looks dumb and bad. If they are going to do that, at least make it red or shaped like his actual web shooter and cartridges.

Lol!:p 

• Like Like x 2
  7. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

If the web lines were molded in clear plastic, with only the actual web part painted white and the wrist cuff left clear, that would be acceptable I think. There are other issues with using them, though. They can slide around and not stay where you left them and gravity will eventually curve them downward.

The bat grapple on Hush Batman is great, though not really replicable for webs, sadly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Slave IV

Yeah, that’s the other thing. They are loose and don’t work well and look like shit.

9. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Waiting for TFA Legacy figs and 3A Bay Ironhide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I checked the Mafex FB group earlier today and people have been getting charged for Carnage from HLJ (and they're also showing him in stock)

edit: boxed image
    C85203C9-648F-41D7-BD1F-603FA73E5A18.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  10. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    Oh goodie. No more delays for Carnage.

11. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Despite that release schedule seeming fairly orderly, I still doubt they'll be delivering 5 figures in one month several times in a row. March is their "break" of 1 figure release, assuming that's based on Chinese New Years. They'll probably push a couple back to March from Jan/Feb.

I ordered Carnage with Superman at the same time on Amazon Japan, anyone know if they'll split the order or hold all the Carnage figures?

12. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I felt like Gwenpoole was pretty exceptional.

13. Slave IV

That's interesting because I have Evil Gwenpool and that figure almost made me want to never buy another figure from Mafex again. It isn't terrible but it just felt very not worth the price whereas other premium figures I get, I don't even think about the price because I'm so satisfied with the product.

Top figures to me are the first Kylo Ren. I feel like that was the definitive Kylo Ren from any company in the 1/12 realm. I haven't opened or checked out any of the later release of Kylo though. I also can't think of any other charater I would consider "definitive" from Mafex. Comic shaded Spidey comes closest for the deco alone but there are other issues with it I don't like at all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

AJ shipped my Carnage.

• Like Like x 2
  15. infinite_virtue

Looks like Peter B Parker might be delayed to January now.

16. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    really? AJ just recently (like 3 days ago) updated him and miles to arriving in the first few days of January.

17. Legate

Legate Plastic Crack Addict

:banghead: 

18. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

It's only toys, and it's not like they're doing it for fun. Given Mafex seems to have limited access to factory time to begin with this year has screwed them over royally and it's caused a cascade of issues.

19. infinite_virtue

Not 100% sure, just saw a picture on Facebook that showed it moved to January. I just checked HLJ and Amiami and they have change it to January too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I got Carnage in the other day, anyone else? I didn't get to open him yet.