Mechtech. Best idea in years?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Warpshard, Aug 25, 2011.

?

Mechtech. Good or bad?

1. Best Idea in years!

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Looks like crap.

31 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. I don't care about them.

38 vote(s)
    39.6%
  4. Whats Mechtech?

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Then you missed the whole point of the RTS line.

Reveal the Shield - Transformers Wiki

2. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Haha sorry I should've mentioned that that was my idea of the rubsigns even before RTS came out. I mean, RTS is self explanatory.

3. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    It was cool in the 80's, now it's just pointless.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Buy My Stuff

There are some weapons that don't actually lock by default.

5. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

The weapons for the most part look goofy. Neither mode really looks good. They're big bulky clunky weapons ruined by a useless gimmick. I don't car for them at all.

Besides.... IMHO the clip system is THE best idea in years as far as Transformers weapons/gimmicks goes.

6. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't see where that has to do with anything. It was what we were used to as kids growing up. No matter how much older I get I still think that a little black sticker that I can apply heat to/rub and it shows a faction symbol in like 4 different colors still brings out the inner child in me. I remember when they stopped doing rubsigns. I stopped collecting until ROTF. Point being, in my eyes Rubsigns were the best gimmick ever. The clip system coming in at 2nd.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Reveal the Shield should have been named "Find the Decepticon!"... there's like two of them in the whole line.

8. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    with few exceptions, I think it's the worst gimmick since Armada.

9. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Haha true! "Hunt for the Decepticon II"

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The main thing I like about MeschTesch is that it rarely gets in the way of the rest of the toy.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    The majority suck ass, and they made the core figures smaller.

I don't care for it.

12. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pros:
    -Gives each character a weapon
    -Doesn't affect or have to store in alt mode in any way
    -Lets a character effectively get two weapons, great for characters who are shown onscreen using multiple ones. We would likely never get two of the weapons separately. (Like how earlier movie Primes only came with a gun or swords, not usually both).
    -Neat motion features (kids love it, I'm sure)
    -Easy to swap (I use Sideswipe's gun as a shotgun for Leader Ironhide)
    -Help to create Stealth Force modes
    -Voyager Megatron integrates his weapon SUPERBLY into alt mode

Cons
    -Take up more of the plastic and engineering budget that simpler weapons.
    -Similarly, the main toy is now smaller than before
    -99% cannot be stored hidden in alt mode
    -Most appear very oversized for the characters (mostly a problem with deluxes)
    -Deluxe weapons cannot lock into both forms.
    -Fiction-wise, it seems odd to go from limb-shifting built-in weapons to large, hand-held stuff.
    -Again, fiction-wise, it causes from breaks from reality as the robots pull them from "hammerspace" whereas the built-in weaponry was just reconfigured parts.
    -The way the weapons were advertised as "combine and create new weapons" is very misleading. I was hoping for more weapons that actually change when combined like deluxe Starscream - not just a gun on a gun on a gun.

Overall, it's a hard call. I dislike how they were all oversized and generally useless, but if they had not gone down this road, we might all be here complaining about the in-figure gimmicks like automorph that gets out of gear, or toys only getting one good arm because the other turns into a weapon, etc.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Fingers crossed that it's something that will stay confined to the movie line.

If they wanted a weapons gimmick why not just pack in several normal sized weapons like GI Joe or some of the Star Wars figures instead of an over sized weapon?

14. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this

15. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This.

16. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I've been able to lock those two as well. Anyways, I like the Mechtech gimmick but I hope it doesn't stick around.

17. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

I would be happier with targetmasters of some form but hey must:

Not be stupid colours - they are supposed to be a gun.
    Have a resonable small robot vehicle form.
    Look like a gun when transformed.

Takara almost got it right by changing the colours on the PCC minicons. Just a little bit of work and they would be perfect.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the HA basics that turn into weapons (backfire for example) are much more interesting and well executed then the mechtech weapons. Reminds me of targetmasters but on a larger scale. I wish they had just gone for more of these instead of the mechtech. Medium & small size robots that could transform into weaponry for the voyager and leader class figs. That would have been badass.

19. Raiju

Raiju Oh, thank heaven for 7-11! Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    At first I hated the idea of mechtech, but after picking up some Deluxes and playing around with some of the toys it's actually not that bad. OK, so they're not screen accurate, but they are surprisingly fun once you mess around with them in hand.

Sure it could have been executed a lot better, but Hasbro's main demographic are kids, and most simply won't care that they're oversized gimmicks that never appeared in the movies (barring Shockwave; not even Megatron's fuel tanker fusion cannon showed up in the movie like a lot of us expected; he wielded a stand alone shotgun that wasn't an integral part of his alt or robot modes).

I only have 4 different mechtech weapons so far; Barricade's gatling rake claws, Crankcase's extend-o claw gun, Thundercracker's chainsaw gun, and Starscream's dual gun-jack-knife/sword thing. Each have their good and bad points, but for the most part I like them, much more than I was expecting.

Thundercracker's probably the best as a stand alone weapon (and easily modded to lock out), and looks good on him (especially with two so he can dual wield them). Crankcase's doesn't look bad as a gun, but the extend-o claw is admittedly a bit limited and derpy (haven't found a way to lock it out yet).

Barricade's I actually like the most since it looks like it can double as a new forearm/hand attachment for certain (black) figures like himself and Crankcase. Get two and it gives a Bot/Con at least the illusion of having giant claws for hands (and I think it looks rather menacing on Barricade once it's locked out). Starscream's weapon looks goofy/oversized on the Deluxe but actually looks pretty nice (and decently scaled) on the Leader/MP figure.

This is, of course, all in bot mode. I prefer to keep the mechtech off the figures when they're in alt mode for obvious reasons, but it's a not a deal breaker. And to piggyback on the figures being smaller, the size decrease doesn't bother me overly much and I can understand Hasbro wanting to simplify the transformation engineering a little due to parent complaints of overly difficult transformations (to the point even they couldn't figure out their complexity, resulting in frustration to both parent and child, and no doubt in some toy returns).

My main beef with the DOTM line are the lack of paint apps. Seriously, the abundance of ugly gray plastic on everything is more than an eyesore, IMHO, especially on figures like Sideswipe. The lack of paint just seems lazy and an easy fix if Hasbro bothered to address it (a Premium line, perhaps?).

20. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I said this in another post, so I don't mean to be redundant, but there is no reason I should like them, but I do like them. They have mostly goofy gimmicks, are out of place in both modes (for most figures), and are generally more eyesore than awesome gun. For some reason, I really like them though.