Mecha Form Sky Guardian (Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DynaBoss, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I agree with what your saying. As I said this is the most accurate transformation in my opinion to date. No other company "Daca" or customizer has ever been clever enough to figure this out. I am curious if we will see any copy cats try to copy the transformation because I cant see any other way to pull off a jet that is not wide. This is one of the reasons I love this guy and to note again "No parts forming"

2. Tryptlock

Tryptlock Well-Known Member

Wow, I never realized that the altmode configuration actually kind of emulates screenshots from the cartoon. It again makes me feel kind of bad for Mechaform. They had some rather unique ideas. If the execution had gone better (e.g. instructions, better head and hands, maybe some better plastic), this could have been an epic figure.

3. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, your totally right.

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I was really interested in this guy, finally a Skyfire that's not a victim to Hasbro's Macross-trauma, and looks the part in both modes. Don't understand the whole face- thing, first face looked fine to me, now it's just undefined. Still i don't mind, Skyfire looked geeky in the cartoon anyway, but those hands and that price... and mainly the fact he's limited edition means i'll probably never own him.

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Now that I have had Sky Guardian for some time, I'd say it's tolerable.

He's on my desktop next to CHUG Thundercracker, and they look real good
    next to eachother.

Speaking of face sculpts : I model, but have never modeled for 3D print before.... So I got this work in progress for shapeways....

[​IMG]

6. Backstop

News Credits:
    Good start but looks a bit too human or is that what ppl like these days?

7. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Heh. I must admit I've got something of a soft spot for spacefighter-style designs which are wide but flat. Flying rectilinear pancakes forever, even if their cross-section means they aren't as aerodynamic.

8. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I just got my Sky Guardian today. https://youtu.be/7IPTw-S6SPw

In general I'm pretty happy with it. The head and hands are fine in person. There was a tightness issue with these elbow clips but i solved it by putting some Vaseline in the clip.

Both modes seem dead on for the cartoon likeness to me ( definitely in a classics toy way ).

It is a bit difficult to transform but solid in robot and alt mode - plenty of pegs holding it together.

But fu#k that price!!!! In Australian dollars with shipping it came to $300.

9. Solotron

Solotron Active Member

Hey odeean,

Where have you been for so long?!

10. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I don't want to derail the thread but to answer you...

Got divorced ( cheating wife ), i had to work almost all the time to buy my house out and look after my kids. Then found a new woman and had to work even more to build that. Basically i have been working every waking moment, it kind of sucks.

I still love transforming robots.

11. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad your back. I missed your reviews, I checked your Youtube channel a few days ago and noticed there was nothing there for a long time, but now I know why.

12. knoted

News Credits:

Thank you for your thorough review. It nicely complements my written review to inform people about Sky Guardian.

( Sorry to hear about your past personal situation - strangely enough.... I am going through something similar unfortunately.... difference I wasn't victim of cheating but victim of domestic violence ).

The price ; still inexcusable ( I should have insisted BBTS on Fedex shipping or something like that ) ; however, it
    is still imho, a proper (not)Skyfire after waiting for decades. We shouldn't forget, this design only existed in the cartoon/comics,
    it never got engineering before - whereas all other 3P characters, have some sort of previous engineering/transformation
    layout to base their engineering off.

Regarding the feet as you mentioned in the review video : for robot mode, I usually slide his foot soles all the way forward in order
    to retain the articulation.

Transformation ; becomes routine after some time, indeed resulting into the rocksolid jetmode - which, thanks to the folding thin panels, making for a gapless jetmode. I love how the red backpack sits very flush to the main fuselage.

About the missile array connector for wing mounting ; yeah... bummer , I only got one of those as well.

But still.... I am very happy with Sky Guardian.

[​IMG]

I find the face sculpt to be tolerable, but..... and even though I have never before modeled for 3D printing, I am in the proces of modeling a new head/face for Sky Guardian. The way I am modeling it now is to have the face sculpt as a seperate piece in Shapeways FXD, which locks into a
    WSF polished head. I hope I can have it ready and tested in December.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    I get where you're coming from but I think you should rethink/restate the quoted part. I can name more that a few MMC Reformated figures that were designed based on comic images alone.

14. knoted

News Credits:
    Ok, ... I am not sure which ones you mean exactly, but did those characters ever had some sort of toy before ?
    Indeed, I believe it when you say there are/might be other 3P toys which never had a toy before - for all of them goes ; having a a preceding / pre-existing toy , makes engineering potentially easier & cheaper.

Anyway.... the price for Sky Guardian is still steep.
    I really can't imagine its for reasons of greedy profit alone. With such
    a limited production run.....

I think it's simply a small team... maybe 2 guys who had to engineer this from scratch and set out
    a goal to nail both modes cartoon accurate with a full transformation. Add in the fact they chose
    a decent production factory - because the build quality of Sky Guardian is absolutely solid - and this
    might have resulted into this price to simply break even for return of investment.

15. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    No toys, no toon, just comic book images; here is just a short list of what I'm writing about. Mind you this is just a few from MMC because they were the first group that popped into my head.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1006195-mmc-jaegertron-lockdown.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/994105-mastermind-creations-anarchus-kaon.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/995684-mmc-cynicus-idws-vos-djd.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/998196-mastermind-creations-spartan-not-impactor.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1047086-mastermind-creations-alpha-idw-wing.html

16. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Kronos.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  17. knoted

News Credits:
    not a full transformation.

Anyway, I feel the same way about it as Odeean.

18. Backstop

News Credits:
    I agree the BBTS price is too high. if anyone wants a Sky guardian for much less the BBTS PM me and I can fill you in.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Do tell.

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Just gotta say my Kronos is nothing like yours. I think I must be incredibly lucky. Only thing I've had to do is reseat a ratchet in his shoulder, everything else is solid.