Mech Warrior 5?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Blitz., Jul 8, 2009.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HA! THat's so perfect! I found ALL my old CDs (MW2 w/ expansions and MW3 and expansion) but could NOT for the life of me find MW4.

I so hope I can get these older games (at least MW3) to work in Vista with my X52 control system.

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I'm at a conflict here, should I get this game for the 360 or the PC? If I get the 360, Ill be able to play it with most of friends (many of you guys) or do I get it for the PC for the sake of tradition, plus I got a really good controller for it, a sidewinder precision pro.

3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Both?

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well I'd wait to see what the bonus content is like for any special editions. Also I might wait off the PC just in case its a buggy mess.

I'm looking at a PC edition just for the sake of tradition also the controls I find are better suited to a mouse and key board

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've always used a Force Feedback Pro joystick and keyboard, myself. I LOVE the feedback, it's amazing. the joystick kicks to the sides in sync with your walking and walking speed. if you're in water, it has an actual slow push that feels like you're actually in water. each gun type has different feedbacks, plus being hit by different things has different kicks. and if you run into objects or get blown up.. Really adds a whole new element to the games. It was supported in all of them, either directly or through the joystick's program. I really hope it can be used in the new one.

6. DaggersRage

So, 3015 is about when the 3rd or 4th succession war is going on. Around that timeline is when things are a bit confusing for me. I know that in this game House Davion has locked horns with House Kuretia. Whats House Merik doing? They like... never do stuff as far as I know. What's the succession war even for?

Oh yeah, and also anyone think we'll see some of the melee based mechs show their ugly heads, like the Hatchetman in this game?

7. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

3015 is more or less 3rd Succession war. Everyone is essentially locking horns with everyone else. You dont see much about Marik because the various books tended to focus on the Federated Suns (Davion), which doesnt share a border with the Free Worlds League (Marik). As to what they're all fighting over...

Succession
    –noun 1. the coming of one person or thing after another in order, sequence, or in the course of events: many troubles in succession.
    2. a number of persons or things following one another in order or sequence.
    3. the right, act, or process, by which one person succeeds to the office, rank, estate, or the like, of another.
    4. the order or line of those entitled to succeed one another.
    5. the descent or transmission of a throne, dignity, estate, or the like.

Quick summary: Several centuries beforehand, humanity was ruled by the Star League, an alliance of empires essentially ruled by House Cameron. Amaris the Betrayer staged a coup and took control of the Star League, killing off the last Cameron leader. The Star League army eventually managed to storm Earth and kill off Amaris and his forces, but the various House Lords started squabbling over who got to run everything with the Camerons gone. This lead to the Succession Wars. In 3015, they're still going at it, but by this point they've bombed each other out so much that the ability to wage total war is nearly impossible. It's more a series of raiding back and forth then an outright war, as no one can afford to destroy any more infrastructure.

I doubt we'll get the Hatchetman, it doesnt show up until 3023.
    (Yes, I AM a Battletech junkie, why do you ask?) :) 

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I think it'll be interesting to see how exactly they go about things with the large limit on available weapons during this time period.

9. DaggersRage

Yeah, no ER Large lasers, fooey! I would use a MadCat (aka Timber Wolf) and get four of those suckers grouped together. I know than PPCs tend to be better as far as damage dealing goes, but when it came to MechWarrior 4, I was a better shot with the lasers than PPCs. I cant remember what I used for MW2 or MW3 though.

If it's there, I'm thinking of nabbing a Rifleman and just going ballistics all the way! :D 

EDIT! (or extra banter)

This is a fun website I found a while ago that shows stats of various Battletech mechs, plus some pictures. Heres the link.

LINKY!
    http://www.chaosmarch.com/

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always loved the PPC's sticking 3 on one mech was a fav set up of mine that I used to take out legs... sadly I sucked when it came to heat management so it was a rather all or nothing strategy...

Oh that reminds me of the self destruct devises in MW3 I packed like 4 into a lightly armed mech and just ran into the enemy... got a whole lot of hate for playing like that

11. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    The self destruct high explosives were fun, but I never found any team matches, where they were useful.

12. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    *watches video*

I'mma have to buy a new PC...

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Obviously, I'm a Marauder fan. lol One of my absolute favorite Mechs to pilot. In Mech 4, I used AC20s and ERLL's primarily, with usually one LRM just for first contact at extreme range. I had different setups depending on the situations, but AC and ERLs were my fav. back in the old MW2 days I remember going heavy on missiles. I wish I had a setup where I could still play MW2 and MW2:M. :(  I even got those Titanium editions with the improved graphics! Sadly, the only work-arounds I've found were strictly for the DOS versions of those games, I've yet to find anyone able to get a Windows version to play on XP.

14. DaggersRage

So what mech did you usually go with in MW4? I dont think the Marauder was around in that game.

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Vengeance, or Mercenaries?

16. DaggersRage

Yes!

17. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Nah, there's no way there ever will be a Marauder in another Mechwarrior game ever again. Unless that whole trademarking bullshit with Harmony Gold was ever taken care of.

You could however download a real nice fan made mech pack that had the Marauder Mark 2 in it.

18. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

I take it you did not watch the teaser video for MW5? That Tomahawk they had in there sure makes me think that MK5 will be able to us the Roiquonmi Glaug if they want.

19. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Apparently, doing a little research, I am completely full of shit.

Yeah, we probably (and hopefully) will see the marauder and co, who have been sorely missed in Mechwarrior games.

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I loved the Marauder. I used to love stuffing it full of PPCs and firing them all off at once. My mech would overheat every time, but it was oh-so-worth it to see the destruction :lol