Mech Ideas Demolition Crue - Gauntlet and Piston

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Peaugh, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Theoretically plausible.

2. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

I got my replacement hips.

I was expecting the whole leg, or at least with the thighs, but MI only sent me the hip swivels. So i had to hammer the broken peg out of the existing thigh which was NOT a fun thing to do. Even when I lubed the whole peg out , I had to hammer quite hard to get the broken peg out.

Then I re-lubed the thigh and new peg, pressed it in (its a really really tight fit) and pushed the hip ball joint into the new hip...which was much tighter than the original. So yay....the saga of the broken gauntlet hip is over at least for me.

Sorry I can't do the DIY repair that I promised since MI didn't send me a whole leg. I had to use the existing leg.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Hasn't it been shown that being tight wasn't the issue?

4. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

Doesn't change the fact that removing the broken peg and reassembling the hip with not much flat surface for the leg to rest on requires a great amount of force. You might break the knee joint if you're not careful with the amout of force you place on the hammer.

5. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got my replacement parts, sanded them down a bit, installed one of them and gave the leg a couple of twists to test it out. New piece has a small stress mark.
    Pretty disappointed that the pieces are identical to the broken parts.

6. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

Any word on a fix for this little guy?

7. TheUltraMagnus

TheUltraMagnus Well-Known Member

I ordered piston and I am now worried about touching him after reading the last couple of pages.. ughh Was this on the majority of the figures?

8. EnigmaticOne

EnigmaticOne Member

Can someone show me a pic of what's wrong with Gauntlet? I saw no stressmarks, and transformed him once. I was going to shave down whatever needed needed it, but I don't see the problem. I would like to prevent anything from breaking.

9. The New Guy

The New Guy Well-Known Member

Hard to gauge the majority, but my Gauntlet has been on my desk since I got him on release and while he mostly lives in robot mode he probably gets transformed weekly.I've had no problems with him, and he's even stolen the My First Blaster intended for Swerve...

10. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

Not something you can sand off i'm afraid. You could put some grease on the thigh pegs so it won't be so tight.

Pic from Eriku's post.

[​IMG]

11. Rewind

Rewind Well-Worn Member

News Credits:
    I'm still not entirely sure what the problem is. With my first Gauntlet the thigh joints were not what I would consider tight, they moved smoothly. After time the pegs on the thighs developed stress marks and then one broke. I was always very careful, especially after reading about other people breaking theirs, and never put any pressure on those parts during transformation or posing.

When I got the replacement set of legs from BBTS, both of them broke before I even got them on the figure. Neither had stress marks when I took them out of the box. I did a test rotation to check the tightness before installing them and they simply fell apart like the joint was made of cheese. Like my previous Gauntlet, the joints were smooth and not tight.

Perhaps it was air bubbles inside the posts that severely compromise the structural integrity of the plastic. It's certainly not the case on all copies of the figure, but I'm not willing to try out a third, even though I really love the toy and sorely miss having him in my collection. :( 

12. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

I'm thinking its just weak plastic generally. The blue one specifically. HAven't heard of anyone reporting a problematic Piston yet.

13. EnigmaticOne

EnigmaticOne Member

Thanks for the pic! I'll have to look into the joint as time progresses. I took out the leg, but it definitely was tight putting it back in.

14. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    The joint is really tight so it may not just be weak plastic. Maybe a bit of both??? I did trim my joints down on mine and I have not had an issue since. *knock on wood*

15. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    So I know this is a pretty widespread problem with Iron Fist, but has there been any fix for this, or has Mech Ideas said anything about a new release.... Anything regarding this?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

16. racefox

racefox Honor. Respect. Loyalty.

News Credits:
    guys,
    I know that many have the problem with this joints
    (my also have a stress mark)
    but I am sure that in the broken-off part possible to drill a small hole and screw the hinge back in place by small screw
    (of course, if there is a problem with the replacement part from the seller)

17. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Fixed it like a boss. The peg broke off pretty clean, so I super glued it back and sanded the socket down to where it is really loose, so I could push it back on to the peg and not break it again (and keep the swivel function). Probably better than it originally was. XD

18. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

Wow...really? That kinda hinge is almost impossible to glue back with sufficient strength. Impressive!

19. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Transformed him like 6 times just to make sure too. Better than he was out of the package. :thumb 

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I would be leery about it if all you did was superglue. Drill a small hole and add a pin would make the strongest repair i'd think.