Mech Fans Toys ASTROTRAIN / MS26-IRON SKY

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by NOCV, Jul 7, 2019.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    Maybe I’m nuts but I like this more than the ft one.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm ok with it; it's in keeping with how the G1 toy transformed. Plus, that stuff has to go SOMEwhere.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yes please, as long as it’s cartoon colors you’ve got yourself a sale.

• Like Like x 4
  5. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    You can't headbang at the speed of sound without some rockets on your back.

Untitled34-picsay.jpg
    I couldn't wait to see what might look like in color. Some concessions have to be made to get all 3 modes as close as can be. Can't do the sides of his shins in purple because those are the flaps that run along the front of the shuttle. Can't do the purple stripe along the rear half of the shuttle or else his arms become purple, just like the top of the train.

I'd imagine there will be more silver/gray on the train wheels, but freehanding circles with a stylus on my phone is for the birds..

I also found that they updated his shoulders between the vehicle reveals and the bot reveal, to include the cartoon-accurate circles on them (in shuttle mode they are absent).

• Like Like x 23
  6. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

Nice work @NOCV . I don't recall seeing a full on back view, but what I can see of the backpack seems reasonable. Nowhere near XTB Toro, anyway, which was where I drew a line. The placement is consistent with the toy and since it looks like it will have the engine nozzles and stuff on it should be more visually interesting than just a bunch of panel-y stuff.

This is from MFT, right? I don't own any of their product, aren't their figures on the bigger end? Trying to visualize how he might fit in with all my IF and NA figures. I don't mind Astrotrain being a bit large but I'm curious just how big he'll be.

• Like Like x 4
  7. SuperDaddyo

SuperDaddyo Well-Known Member

:eek:  This is 100% pure 80's toon awesomeness NOCV :cool:  I hope the final version comes out looking this great!

• Like Like x 3
  8. PlatypusRhyme

PlatypusRhyme Well-Known Member

I can see myself buying three of these.

• Like Like x 4
  9. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

he should fit in well. i have MFT mixed in with my IF collection and i never have an issue. i am thinking he will be around 12cm that seems to be the medium range for their larger bots and then you have 14cm for the dinos and magnus.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That looks awesome

11. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Ideal world, I wish the inside of the nosecone was covered somehow so the inner legs weren't quite so hollow. That said, if it comes just about as it is here, then I'm game for it. Astrotrain, at this scale, I can handle some imperfections and he's pretty darned good looking beside that one quibble, IMO.

I have also mixed some MFT in with my MST and IF figures. I went with the OSKO of Shockwave for instance. To me, Shockwave should at least be on par with Megatron. I'm also using their Headmaster OSKOs because they are just too much better than the originals to pass up. They're a tad too large but still close enough that I can live with it. I expect Astrotrain to actually be close to what I consider right sized by going with MFT.

• Like Like x 3
  12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Just about 12cm tall, per MFT.

• Like Like x 6
  13. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Really excited for this one!

14. Jaume Wheeljack

Jaume Wheeljack Till all are one

Aha,MFT is always pulling you back with something after several simple duplications.

15. StapDLambs

StapDLambs Well-Known Member

How do you all feel about this compared to Fans Toys Thomas? I am torn.

16. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel that one is MP size and the other is Legends+ size, so they belong in completely different collections and therefore can't be directly compared.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

I don't see what the comparison is, really. I collect both MP and Legends scale, and I plan on getting both, as they do different things. Both look great to me, at least so far. I expect to "play with" the MFT one much more since it is smaller and almost certainly less complicated.

The notion of oversizing a Legends figure or that Legends figures are "better" than MP ones comes up pretty regularly but IMO doesn't hold up. I think Legends scale figures often seem to come across better than MP ones because the smaller scale is more forgiving in many ways. But I don't think that a great looking Legends figure would necessarily make a great MP figure if "embiggened." The kinds of relatively simple joints and builds that are perfectly fine on a Legends figure would probably be very jarring at MP scale. The larger scale of an MP means different decisions for materials, engineering, etc.

I will say, however, that if Legends were as far along as they are now (in terms of characters available, variety of companies, and overall quality) back when I got into MP's, I might have just stuck with Legends. They're pretty satisfying, affordable, and easy to display. But Legends has benefitted a lot from the interest in MP's.

18. StapDLambs

StapDLambs Well-Known Member

Ah. For some reason I thought they were the same scale. I guess there is no more reason to hesitate. Iron Sky it is! Unless Iron Factory comes out of nowhere and snipes my purchase by making a kick ass Astrotrain to go with their Blitzwing.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Ah for a second I was excited that I had missed there was a Legends Blitzwing out there. Then I looked up a video for it, and would have been happier not knowing... I'll wait for that figure to be tried again.

• Like Like x 5
  20. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

ha ha...he is not that bad and i passed onnhim for the longest. but i picked him up and he is great for what he is an early IF bot. but i welcome an updated version 100%

• Like Like x 4