MCM London Studio Series reveals

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by JaY88, Oct 28, 2018.

1. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    I actually didn't even consider it until you mentioned it, to be honest! I totally forgot he was a triple-changer in AoE haha

But it's not totally out of the question if WW2 Bee is a thing

• Like Like x 1
  2. lonewolf96

lonewolf96 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats just what I think

3. Op Minor

Op Minor Well-Known Member

DONE! (thanks to a 25% coupon for Target; the struggle is real):

EA29D024-8A35-43BD-AC0A-A2F8897EC697.jpeg

768E4407-B617-462D-A75A-521E466432EF.gif

:lol . Believe it or not, it took me the past 10 or so years to truly warm up to the more alien designs (especially Starscream). I grew up G1, G2, and BW. The crazy thing is, BW was the first to introduce a more alien approach. And I LOVED it at the time. But even though I saw Movie 1 literally five times in the theater, and countless times on video, the radically new take on the designs was still kind of jarring to me. Now that nostalgia is kicking in for Movie 1, plus these incredibly well done Studio Series dudes, I can officially say I’ve had a change of heart.

As for Op’s swords, hopefully he goes into the bargain bin once 2.0 comes out :thumb 

Back on topic — with SS Starscream now in hand, I wonder who will have the wider body: him, or Long Haul?

• Like Like x 8
  4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm gonna say Starscream. Long Haul actually has a pretty small/narrow torso/shoulder area. It's his big honking forearms and big legs that result in a wide stance and posture.

• Like Like x 4
  5. optimusbee

optimusbee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm calling it now, the 2nd Drift will be a retool of Dropkick so he'll be in his helicopter form.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    We welcome you with open arms :) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Agreed 100%... except I didn't like the twins.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Honestly he could be a total brick in combined mode and I'd still love him, that four-legged stance and his general body shape doesn't really lend itself to dynamic posing.
    I doubt he can even pull off this pose in his promo art:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 In it for the engineering

News Credits:
    I'm starting to feel like no one got my Temptations joke, I was proud of that! :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Op Minor

Op Minor Well-Known Member

Very true. Starscream is way top heavy, but Long Haul’s posture makes him seem bigger.

You guys are the best. There’s so much love ‘round these parts :cry 

• Like Like x 3
  11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:

I personally do, unironically, like the twins. Narratively, they got a bad draw that I think would've helped fans' perception of them a bit better.

While I perfectly understand how their schtick could be seen as racially insensitive, I honestly don't believe that was the writers' intent. As you suggest, I feel their antics were heavily derived from "street" culture, rather than specifically African-American culture. It's a fine line to draw to be sure, especially since that street culture was derived directly from rap and hip hop culture of the 80s and 90s.

But it helps to put their characters in context. Their street punk attitude is to their characterizations the same way Ironhide's bull-faced Clint Eastwood-styled design is to him. It's a narrative shorthand to immediately key the audience into the type of 'bots they are. They're young and gung-ho, total greenhorns, but they act and talk tough because they've been drafted to work alongside true-blue Autobot "celebrities" like Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. They're exactly like if your kid got to star in a TV ad with somebody like Will Smith. They'll talk big because they think they've made it big and they're hot stuff now. They're total posers, and there's no bigger poser stereotype than hip-hop street kids.

The thing is, though, that they actually have character growth throughout the movie. At the very beginning of the film, during the Shanghai fight, they're just the giddy, tagalong kids who are excited to see Prime and 'Bee in action. Then later on, when they get sent on the Matrix quest alongside Sam and 'Bee, you first see them (Skids in particular) try to act mature and big-brotherly to Sam, attempting to assert authority and offer his own wisdom (only to immediately deflate when asked hard questions). Mudflap and Skids start bickering more because they're forced out of their comfort zone, and their tough-guy acts waver a bit. And then finally, they face their first real combat trial, against the big papa of all Decepticons himself, and all that trash-talk is useless. Skids nearly breaks down when he thinks he's lost his brother, but he and Mudflap spring back with vengeance once Mudflap is revealed to be alive. They've talked the big talk up until this point, but when the stakes truly set in, they (mostly) drop the chatter and bring the heat when it really counts.

What's missing from their story is a proper epilogue moment for them, because they completely vanish from the film once the military takes on Devastator themselves. What would've sealed the deal for them is if they were to emerge from the wreckage, and express their victory with humility, showing them to put their childish braggadocio aside in favour of a more self-aware attitude and a respect for what they are in regards to humans and the Earth.

• Like Like x 17
  12. BlackHawkOmega

News Credits:
    You've officially thought about this more than anyone who worked on those movies.

• Like Like x 16
  13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I honestly don't think the first three movies are bad, just somewhat unformed (AoE's flaw, on the other hand, was that it was essentially two potentially decent movies crammed nonsensically into one. TLK was... TLK). Michael Bay's hyperkinetic/ADHD directorial style (and juvenile sense of humour) seems to render him unable to take a step back and look at the big picture. So he's great at setting up those perfect, over-the-top action stunts, but forgets his follow-through in the storytelling.

They really would've benefitted from a second pair of eyes to reel in Bay's excessiveness. The pieces are there, they just need a better editorial eye and a bit more heart to polish them up.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  14. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Which is why the first movie is narratively the best one by far. Spielberg was the most involved. He's a cinematic genius and basically created the successful formula of blockbuster with heart. If there hadn't been a writer's strike and if Spielberg had been more involved these could have potentially been great movies.

• Like Like x 11
  15. BLOODRAGED189

News Credits:
    The first one was also always the worst to me. I find myself very bored watching it, with the exception of the highway fight with Bonecrusher... because Bonecrusher <3

• Like Like x 1
  16. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

Unicron the Chaos Bringer Protecc this smile!

News Credits:
    Another problem I have with these movies is not just the sub par writing but also the lack of creativity involving the fight scenes, especially with the choreography and camera work. What made the prime vs bonecrusher fight great was the thing that made the rotf forest battle great. The wide panning shots. These help reinforce characters positions juxtaposed to each other and help give us a sense of the direction of the fight. When the fight is viewed from an angle on the ground, it seems much more chaotic, which could be what they're going for but it just doesn't sit right with me. Both the bonecrusher and rotf forest battle also use closeups to emphasize the power behind attacks, like when megatron's 540 roundhouse kick hits optimus, it uses a closeup to show the damage he's taken. And in the same vein, closeup shots are used to emphasize power when optimus launches an uppercut at bonecrusher's face. A combination of these shots will help elevate a fight beyond its basic elements.

Another problem I have is the lack of creative choreography in these fights, which is also linked to the first problem, as if you can barely see the transformers fight, how can you choreograph the fight creatively. Your characters are transformers, their vehicle modes are part of them, which should allow a lot more liberty in the ways that you can choreograph fights. Jet Decepticons could be constantly flitting between robot and jet to confuse and disorient their opponents, and ground based autobots could use their vehicle modes to put more power behind their attacks. Even if you negate all this, you can make fights interesting by adding more hand to hand choreography, and giving characters unique fighting styles. A good example would be bumblebee and optimus, but they're the only 2 bots that's applied to, and with a fight as spectacular in terms of choreography as the rotf forest battle, surely the directors can do better than that. That fight showed how optimus used mobility to maneuver between opponents, and turn their own attacks against themselves, redirecting starscream's machine gun fire towards grindor and blocking megatron's hook kick and following up with a knee. These movies can really pull off well choreographed, creative fights when they really want to, but sometimes I just think they don't try enough

• Like Like x 9
  17. BLOODRAGED189

News Credits:
    I honestly wish I could like this multiple times

18. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Its what makes the movies so frustrating to me, because there ARE flashes of greatness in there. In some ways and in certain scenes they really show off the full potential of what a transforming robot war could be. But in other ways it shows how juvenile and stupid it all could be. Such high highs and SUCH low lows.

Because there ARE some examples that exactly prove your points but there are also some examples that are perfect examples of exactly what you say you want to see.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell yeah! I love it when they incorporate their vehicle modes into their fights. That's why I love this battle so much:

• Like Like x 7
  20. BlackHawkOmega

News Credits:
    That's such a fantastic fight! Unless it's movie Prime, it's so rare to see Optimus PISSED.

• Like Like x 1