McFarlene Cyber Units: Buy or not?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ra88, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't decide which conversation to pay less attention to, soccer or Spawn toys. :D 

Anyway, do these guys have helmets or not? I think some of them look nice but the mangled head turns me away from them.

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some of them do. The Guardian Unit 001 comes with a face mask and the Viral Unit 001 comes with a dome helmet that covers the whole face (I actually like the head on the Viral Unit). The Guardian Unit face mask locks into place fairly well, but the Viral Unit dome helmet doesn't stay in place well at all. Give me a few minutes and I'll get some pictures up.

In addition to it's own helmet, the Viral Unit also comes with a 'face mask' that is intended to serve as the 'head' for the combined figure (you can see it in my pictures). That face mask can fit over the head of the Infiltrator Unit 001, but I personally don't care for how it looks.

As an aside, if anyone is looking for recommendations on individual figures in this set that are good, I'd recommend either the Viral Unit 001 or the Defender Unit 001, as they both have a good balance between aesthetic and poseability, IMO. The Guardian is OK but, on mine at least, one of the legs constantly pops off at the hip. The Battle Unit 001 is a bit top heavy, the shoulder kibble looks weird and the 'shoulder claws' are annoying. The Infiltrator's feet are a bit weird due to the boosters and the huge shoulder pads get in the way a little. The Brute Unit is OK (and has the added benefit that you can attach the Defender's arms to it), but it lacks knees and that restricts the poseability.

Some pictures:

Guardian Unit with Mask (after that debacle with the attempted combination, I superglued most of the armor pieces on these figures permanently; this mask was one piece I perma-bonded)

[​IMG]

Infiltrator Unit No Mask

[​IMG]

Infiltrator Unit with Mask (note that I have a blue Viral Unit and a green Infiltrator Unit, so the colours aren't matched)

[​IMG]

Viral Unit (No Helmet)

[​IMG]

Viral Unit (Helmet)

[​IMG]

Brute Unit with Defender Arms

[​IMG]

Infiltrator Unit's Shoulderpad Mishap

[​IMG]