MBay’s films are landmarks

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Dec 13, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Only in terms of visuals, scale and action (we can’t really expect anything further from Bay). But the fact is that since MBay came to work on TRANSFORMERS a lot of films followed what he did:

IRON MAN – Even though all the glory goes to RDJ for his iconic performance, its VFX involving tech/machinery are distinctly TF-inspired.

BATTLESHIP – This was basically TF at sea with the navy.

THOR – The AllSpark cube. That’s what people called it, at first:
    Thor - After Credits! - YouTube

GULLIVER’S TRAVELS – A contemporary adaptation of Jonathan Swift’s tale, starring Jack Black and a giant robot he fights with.

THE AVENGERS – Producer Kevin Feige admits he was trying to score over DOTM, with the portal at NYC and the ships/troops that followed, and the battle that followed.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES – A city is sealed off with a ticking device inside.

MEN IN BLACK 3 – Apollo 13 conspiracy involving aliens.

And the latest to probably join the bandwagon:

PACIFIC RIM – giant robots being built to fight otherworldly monsters.

MAN OF STEEL – giant ships, cities being levelled

These films may not have been what we really wanted, but you can’t deny that a LOT of filmmakers have emulated Bay’s style, in some cases with more success than he did.

2. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Dark Knight rises was being developed a little longer, you're stretching the influence a bit.

And really, you're saying that MIB havinga conspiracy thing about aliens is ripping off TF3 ...

Giant Ships Cities being leveled.... ID4?

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    It had nothing to do with Bay, giant robot shows and kaiju movies existed LOOOOOOOONG before transformers even started if anything Pacific Rim is a homage to Super Robots shows and movies and is much more inspired with shit like Super Sentai than Transformers.

I mean one of the Jaegers has a motherfucking ROCKET PUNCH! That's some heavy Mazinger shit we've got there!

Also most of the thing you listed are tropes that existed before Bayformers.

4. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    The Cosmic Cube did not take inspiration from the Michael Bay films, it was introduced in 1966, and when did the first Bay Transformer movie come out? Oh yeah, 2007.

And what does a crappy comedy having a 6 foot robot in it for like 3 minutes have to do with Transformers? Robots have existed in pop culture for quite some time.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    People these days fail to research often.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Bay's movies are landmarks all right - on the Highway to Hell. You'll know you've passed through if you find yourself watching "Pearl Harbor" :puke: 

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    There is some truth to this, although people calling the Tesseract the 'Allspark' was less an inspiration and more of it being the only comparable item in popular culture at the time; as far as I know that's how the Tesseract has always looked.

As for The Avengers, well that's a matter of public record although it isn't at all strange that they'd be aiming to top the current occupant of the action throne: that's how the game is played.

The two main ones I'd disagree with are Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. The whole cities being levelled thing is hardly something that Bay invented or even codified for film.

In Superman comics and cartoons, when the stakes are high, shit gets broken in a big way; please see the finale of Justice League Unlimited for a good example.

As for Pacific Rim, it owes a lot of its visuals and themeatic elements to the 'Super Robot' genre entries like Gurren Langan, Evangelion and so on. Seriously, Pacific Rim looks like the closest I'm ever getting to an Evangelion movie.

I will say that one undeniable net positive of the Transformers movies, regardless of how I feel of them or Michael Bay, is that they have been a gateway for stuff like Pacific Rim getting made at all.

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I think you're giving Bay a little too much credit here...

Most of these are mere coincidences, and vague influences at best.

EDIT: I think that the main thing that Bayformers has influenced is the level of realism and action that can be achieved now. The visual effects have shown that filmmakers can now make a heck of a lot more than they previously imagined. But other than that, yeah, no.

9. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    In terms of graphics, yes I completely agree. Transformers has by far the best CGI graphics I have ever seen. Every other movie I have seen has failed in comparison. Plot wise, obviously not the best, but graphics wise, absolutely!

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Skyfall had metal things with wheels on them. That had to be inspired by the visionary movie genius formerly known as Michael Bay. :rolleyes: 

Jesus Christ...how can people do these mental gymnastics, just to justify liking a series of movies to the large chunk of the population that thought they were mediocre?

You thought they were works of art? I can't understand how, but whatever. That doesn't mean Michael Bay invented the robot and the three-dimensional shape called the cube.

11. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What people? Stupid people?

12. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Precisely. "Landmark" might have been the wrong word to use, but it's true that thanks to MBay similar or perhaps better action/robot films are being made.

13. Rewire

Rewire Whiskey Grimlock

Laughing so damn hard at this thread.

That said, I did definitely get a vibe that Battleship's aesthetic, both visually and sound-wise, took cues from those of the Bayverse movies. And the sheer amount of money the movies made is definitely influencing, if not changing, the kind of movies that are getting a green light. Because, you know, money talks.

14. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

No. I believe Bay movies have had little influence on those movies (except Battleship).

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Bay's influence is on how many bad movies based on Hasbro franchises are getting made.

16. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Dude, you're really over glorifying Bay.

LOL. Nice one !

LOL. Too true !

when you say realism, you mean realistic story setting and that, right ? Action isn't spectacular really.

17. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

wat

18. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    how the hell are half of these things ripped off of the transformers movies?

19. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

I agree with much of what you said, but I have to clarify (bc I constantly hear ppl say otherwise) that Evangelion is not a Super Robot anime. Evas are not even robots, and the show follows almost none of the characteristics of Super Robot anime. Also, Gurren Lagann, while having a lot of Super Robot themes to it, isn't precisely a Super Robot anime, but much more than that. It fuses together a lot of anime genres together, one of them being Super Robot. ^^

OP, you are giving waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit to Bay. The only thing he did, was push the FXs to new grounds, allowing for the work seen on many other movies. But we can say that about Bay's Transformers and all the SFX driven movies before them. Whithout them, TF wouldn't be possible.

20. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i think the comparison to evangelion comes from absolutely massive human-piloted units fighting otherworldly beings.