Mayday!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rubber Ducky, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky beepboopbop

I was just wondering what kind of advice you guys can muster for people like me who are going into high school or anything above that. Lets see what stuff we come up with!

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Keep your head down.

3. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Don't ever lend money.
    2. don't ever pass off the popular kids
    3. be nice to the teachers
    4. if you see two (or more [shudder]) kids having see on campus, DO NOT start filming. instead, hide around the corner and yell, "PUT YO DICK IN YO PANTS SECURITY IS COMING" and run.
    5. never fight a football player
    6. ditching school will make you stay in school after hours
    7. know who's the smart-ass and the dumbass in the class. it's crucial for group projects
    8. MAKE NEW FRIENDS
    9. if you somehow get lucky, remember, no glove no love.
    10. don't ever share your homework with someone
    11. Drugs are bad.

4. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky beepboopbop

#4 Holy sh*t!, people actually do that?

5. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Okay, I'm gonna start with the practical educational advice.

o Get an idea of where you might want to go to college as quickly as possible, but be flexible. The main reason I say think about this early is that some schools have different requirements, such as two years of a foreign language, that are a lot easier to fill in high school than in a college class filled with people. You might also be able to take classes for college credit down the line.

o If you have the option, take the PSAT! Study hard for it, because if you can get National Merit Scholar standing, most schools will give a really impressive scholarship package.

o Work hard while you're there. As tedious as some assignments may be, getting good grades is worth it in the long run.

o If possible, avoid classes with sport coaches unless you hear really good things. I never learned less in a classroom. Easy A's come back to bite you in a lot of cases.

o Try to take a fun class if you have the option. Drudging through the stuff you hate is a lot easier if, say, you have a creative writing class you love later on.

And now more general stuff...

o Get involved! Find groups that you're interested in. It helps with your college app, sure, but some of your best memories may well come from those groups.

o Don't put too much stock into what people say or do in high school. Most everyone looks back years later at certain things and feels foolish.

o Don't skip school. And if you must, try your hardest to avoid running into your father, stepmother and family dentist while doing so. (Yes, this is experience talking.)

6. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Decide what kind of diploma you want. If you're smart, hit summer school to get out a year early.

7. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to the whore part of high school. Don't expect to be a part of it soon.

And to be honest, that happened when I was delivering papers between classes. I met a scared sophomore who was hiding outside the restroom doors from which came moaning and groaning because he didn't know what to do. I gave him a choice to have either a hideous memory or a goddamn funny one.

8. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    be yourself because it is the person you have to deal with once you get out of high school

make good choices, because the choices you make in high school will effect you for the rest of your life.

This is coming from a high school teacher of 12 years.

9. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    Don't disrupt or talk in class, and the teachers will love you lol.

If you're falling behind or struggling to learn something, DO NOT be afraid to ask for help from the teachers or your parents.

Don't be an attention-whore.

If you're not friends with someone, treat them like any ordinary acquaintance, and you won't have to worry about getting picked on a lot.

If one of the students in your school asks you a really stupid question, (Like "Hey, do you have a GF?") give them a stupid answer. Nothing harsh, just be sarcastic, and then ask why they asked you that question.

-This is based off my High School, so it could be different for yours though.

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First congrats into getting into HS

There's a lot of great points to remember and go by.

No, matter how grim HS gets please don't consider suicide or quitting, seek help.

Don't be afraid to ask for extra help in any of the subjects, (you know when you need help because you'll already lost or you have that sinking feeling in the middle of class) its best to ask for help in the being (Go up to the teacher after class and ask, that's the best way to do it)

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Have fun, and omg just ignore gossip and what haters think about you. In high school I had so many people who liked me and were nice to me, and I loved them but of course I always wanted to impress the 1 guy who was a jerk, and what a waste of time and emotion that was.

12. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You're in for four years of utter hell. But you'll come out all the stronger at the end.

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Becareful who you choose as a friend, that bastard...
    :lolol  #4.

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    On your first day find the canteen, stand atop a table and shout at everyone this mantra.

'I am the greatest person at this school, and the sooner you fuckbags realise it, the better your miserable existances will be!'

Gotta state your place in the pecking order early, yo.

16. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

I can't remember back that far.

It's been so long I don't even recognize old friends when I come across them.

17. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    :bay Don't piss off the Hockey players.... We're generally smarter than the football players, and hold grudges for a long, long time...

Ah Prison Rules

18. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

From a guy who enjoyed high school:

-be nice to the teachers, you don't have to suck up, just be a good person
    -make sure the crowd you join is mostly good people, if a couple of them are TF fans, the better ;) 
    -excel in the courses you love, and at least do decent on your "crappy" subjects, that way you average won't be too damaged.
    -join at least 1 group or club or team per year. You don't have to go back if it's crap, if it turns out to be good, it's easier to go back for seconds or thirds. Trust me, there'll be fun stories no matter which team/club/group you join. At the very least, if it's worthwhile, it's something you can put on your resume
    -if your school has spares in the higher grades, try to fix your schedule to either have it in 1st period (so you can sleep in), or the last period (so you can go home early)
    -don't pick on the little guy/girl, you may need that person later on. Or that person will hit a super growth spurt and tower over you. You don't want that person to have a bullseye on you. (I made fun of my buddy in Grade 9 because I was 3 inches taller, by Grade 11 he was 4 inches taller than me, we're still friends BTW)
    -have as much fun as you want, as long as it doesn't interfere with school work. Repeating a course is a complete waste of time, and summer. Summer vacation is short enough as it is.
    -Yes, in the long run high school marks don't mean much, but it does have an impact on your post-high school education, which WILL impact your life.
    -clean your locker every so often, you don't want to find a 3 month old sandwich at the bottom of your locker.
    -have a quick change of clothes in your locker...just in case ;) 
    -if you're a "nerd", have some "jock" friends; if you're a "jock", have some "nerd" friends, but don't take advantage of them like on TV...that's not cool.
    -if you have to fight, know your surroundings
    -don't fall asleep in class, you don't want to wake up a bunch of post it notes on your back or worse...
    -try to take your dumps at home, you don't want to trapped in a vulnerable position with your pants down ;)  (I threw wet paper towels into the stall. I had no clue who was in there, I just threw and ran, but I did hear screams)

I'm sure some of the other tips from other members will be useful as well.

19. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you like a person and start dating them.
    keep it at dates.

20. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

One of the most helpful things I've learned is to make sure the teachers like you. Be polite, ask lots of questions, that sort of thing. It comes in handy when your grades aren't doing very well.