Maybe we'd finally be happy if Hasbro stopped making Transformer toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Neo Tallgeese, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    I'd wish they'd stop including these, as they add $4 to the price, and I don't care for them.

2. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm very happy with a lot of what Hasbro is doing right now, they brought back combiners in a big way and they're finally doing leader class figures in generations. These were the two things at the very top of my wish list for the line and they're delivering some great product.
    There are problems sure, nothing is ever perfect and you get the odd disappointment like tailgate but overall they're doing a good job under difficult conditions.

3. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Wholesale _is_ up. Retail is up more. Middlemen like eBay (the venue itself) are up too. Speculation runs wild because people privy to pricing info are often bound by NDAs if not their own self-interest.

Why? This is just "woe is me because iPads" again. Companies aren't making the effort and it's easy to blame the iPads or GameBoys or Atari.

This is a classic argument from authority. The boss knows everything because he is the boss. Great, because nobody ever lies on their resume, has an uncle that knows somebody, sabotages coworkers to get ahead, or anything like that. And you totally don't have to agree with the boss's way of thinking to move up the ladder in a company either.

Come on, I'm not going stark raving mad about the toys like some people but the math is getting really difficult to support.

4. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Not true. CW Dragstrip costs the same with or without the comic pack-in.

5. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    As a GI Joe fan, i have first hand experience with this idea, and it sucks. Hasbro does a great job, and wishing for them to stop producing Transformers would kill the brand.

6. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Because no stores going to drop the price of a class for just one wave, DS is surrounded by comic packed figures (the last of the thrillin 30's and the rest of CW).

7. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we need to remember the dynamic which I have found to be virtually axiomatic of the internet:

Angry, assertive criticism gets more attention and is more visible than satisfaction.

That is to say, there are plenty of people happy and satisfied. There are just more people voicing their opinions who aren't than those who are silently happy. We're also in a hardcore dedicated community here. As such, we're in a bit of a fishbowl. The prevailing attitudes and feelings of this community are likely not reflective of the consumer population at large.

Moreover, even just here, I see plenty of praise and criticism alike for all manner of products - official and third party. I think we just tend to notice criticism of things we like more than we notice praise. And it's a self-reinforcing paradigm. Someone is more likely to respond arguing with someone who disagrees with them, than they are to respond in polite agreement with someone who already shares their views. So it can seem like there's less praise going around than aggravation. That's just how it seems to work for some reason.

On the other side of the coin, I must voice my obligatory consumer advocacy. Criticism is a good thing, and negative opinions should be both welcome and encouraged in my view. We shouldn't be annoyed by the views of those who disagree with us, either in the positive or negative. If we're truly happy with what we have, why should it perturb us that someone else feels entitled to voice their critiques? If we're not happy with something, why should we be bothered that someone else is genuinely pleased with the same thing?

It's like with the movies. I personally can't stand them, but they make a lot more people happy in all likelihood than those they make unhappy. So that's a net win as far as I'm concerned. In short, see my signature. :) 

8. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Yes, but the comics don't add four dollars per figure. It may add something, but it's not that high. I doubt it's even half that.

9. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Don't forget you also have to add in the cost of increasing the packaging "shell" to accommodate the comic.

Can't we go back to when it was just the figure (+accessory) and instructions?

10. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    What are you talking about? The RID deluxes cost exactly the same as the generations deluxes and do not have a comic book with them.

Are you seriously complaining about getting a comic book for free with the figures?

11. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Then you completely miss the point of what they're doing with the cross promoting of the books/toys. That's brand synergy/brand awareness. That's why TF: Prime the toy-line had a tv show, comic books, coloring books, children's story books, mobile games, etc. You do everything you can to get the person purchasing one facet of your product to purchase more than one facet.

In their minds, buy the toy, get the comic book, buy the comic book, see the add for the mobile PTW game in the comic book, get PTW mobile game, buy currency for PTW mobile game, on and on.

You finding another way to clumsily voice your distaste for IDW books has literally nothing to do with it.

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

No, I don't want Hasbro to stop Transformer production, I lived thru the first time Hasbro halted production (G1 being ended, then the brief time when G2 failed to get off the ground)

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Reveal the Shield. That was perfect. Be that era again.

14. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

No, Hasbro should not stop producing TFs. Is this thread really about those folks who are unhappy with Hasbro and feel that the quality has gone done while the price has gone up?

If you're unhappy with Hasbro, what should you do? Vote With Your Wallets.

If you're unhappy with Hasbro, should you expect someone to replace them with cheaper and better figures? Nope.

Hasbro has been appealing to the older fans since the start of CHUG, BT/Alts and Masterpiece. Combiner Wars is straight up fan service. Hasbro and Takara love to cater to fans, let's not pretend that isn't true. You might not like the product, but there is so much fan service in this franchise, it's crazy.

As a fan community we are super lucky to have so much product out there (Has, Tak, 3P). And from my point of view, all that Hasbro has to do is continue to make movies, tv shows, comics and toys that help the franchise get new fans and keep them-- I think Hasbro has been super successful here.

We might get "crappy" and "overpriced" figures but they're total fanservice. Once young kids stop caring about TFs then we should start worrying.

15. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I honestly don't hate Hasbro, but I am disappointed in the step down in quality, articulation, size... etc.

I'm happy TF still has a presence in stores too for fans. That being said, all of my last purchases have been 3P items as they fit the style and aesthetic that personally fits what I want for my collection. I've had conversations with people about hollowness and the like, which I'm not a personal fan of... my collection is so close to being finished that I really want as much as possible the figures to be cohesive... I know I'm being picky, but I need to to get my collection the way I want it. As I've made customs for my collection, I find myself reaching back to the older figures to bring said characters to life.

Distribution had also been spotty in my neck of the woods at best, so I resorted to shopping exclusively online about 4 years ago.

- Gregg

16. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the quality and articulation I miss...

Attached Files:

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Untied Jazz is, like, one of the best figures ever. United Kup and Wreckgar ain't too shabby either. :D 

18. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The GIJOE community absolutely shredded itself apart after the movies, the same way its starting to here on these very TF boards with alot of the haters. The sense of entitlement displayed by certain posters here is downright disgusting at times.

dont forget...KIDS TOYS...we like em..but they are kids toys.

19. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly? It would have very little to no effect on me. I don't Think I've even bought 10 Transformers made by Hasbro in about as many years.

20. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Well, plus it's not a given that if Hasbro were to ever lose interest in making Transformers, that 3rd party will always be available to keep things going. A more likely result would be a Harmony Gold situation where Hasbro might not be actively making new toys, but is very interested in suing the pants off anybody who plays around with their IP. As it currently stands, I think Hasbro doesn't bother because they don't consider 3ps much of a threat to their bottom line. If they stopped making Transformers, I think this would change.

Regardless of whether you like the current offerings or not (personally, I think the Thrilling 30 and CW stuff has been, on the whole, terrific), this would be good for nobody. Especially not 3rd parties/3rd party enthusiasts.