Maths Tricks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

G'Day, hope everyone is doing well! One of my best friends's parents has asked if I could tutor her, I accepted of course. I myself am, modestly, alright with Maths. But I would like to know any trick or tips that I could share with my friend to help her out with the Math (not her strongest subject at all).

So please, share your tips, your tricks and your treats! :) 

2. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

The finger trick comes in handy when you're trying to memorize the multiples of 9.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    3.14 (PI) looks like PIE, backwards. Trippy.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Wow, you must've had some math teacher

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It'd be helpful to know which area of math is being studied.

6. Ironhide1706

Speed, rates/ratios, general algebra.

7. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this a "possible or potential" girlfriend?

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Why the hell would you agree to tutor someone in something you don't know how to teach? If you're getting paid for this, we get a cut. And if you're using this to get a girl, TFW gets to claim Prima Nocte.

Anyway, there is one math trick I know. I don't know why it works, but it turns out that the more time you spend doing math problems, the better you get at them for some reason. It's like magic or something.

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

As someone who did tutor physics in high school prior to high school exams and tutors maths prior to exams in university now, I like to think I know a bit about tutoring subjects I happen to be able to get high marks in, even if I hate everything about them.

Best advice I can give you, is to know what the hell you're talking about. I say "what the hell" because that's exactly what I've thought when I tutored. Sometimes I just didn't have half a clue how to get the concept across to them, as I knew it and they just couldn't grasp it. Not that they were bad, but one method doesn't work for everybody, so you better know your stuff well enough to be able to go about it in many ways. It doesn't sound to me like your friend is lazy, so if you only know what your teacher has taught you, then all she's gonna get is a repeat of something she didn't get the first time. That's not helpful. You need to figure out what she's doing wrong (or not doing at all) and show her that.

I taught people basic integration only a few weeks ago, but we dealt with multi-variable functions. I spent ages wondering why they could integrate 3xy + x^2 with respect to x, only to find out later that it wasn't a problem of them not knowing how to integrate, they didn't know to treat y as a constant (giving 3y (x^2)/2 + (x^3)/3 + C) as a result if you did it correctly). It wasn't them not trying, they lacked a crucial piece of information. You gotta figure out what she doesn't know, and if you don't know your maths well, then you won't be able to pinpoint what she needs to be taught. You're trying to find the missing puzzle piece (or pieces), and you only do that if you've completed the puzzle and know what it should look like.

Of course, that's if you want to tutor seriously. If you're in this for another reason, then I can't help you. I tutor for the sake of getting my friends to pass their exams well, so I just take it as a serious job, even if I hate the subject of maths.

Edit: judging by the "G'Day", are you in Australia? I ask because I am, so I might know the curriculum.

10. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

11. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

There are no tricks. Put in the time to learn the stuff - that's it. Repetition repetition repetition.

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Does that really work? Man. Schools should implement something like this for students, kind of like a take home assignment of such?

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone would ever agree to that.

14. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I was shown this a few days ago.

Mind.blown. It's witchcraft I tell ye!!

15. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    :lolol  Aernaroth, you crack me up!

16. Ironhide1706

I know how to teach, I teach the class at rare times when the teacher wants me to. I know the material, all of it, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed. I'm just looking for some tricks that might make it easier for someone who DOESN'T understand the material like I do. I can tell them and teach them just fine, but tips/tricks make it easier, you know what I mean?

No, this is not my way of trying to get a girl. I have allowed that part of my life to be least priority.

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Then can you narrow down precisely what in the massive field of mathematics you plan on teaching this person?

18. Ironhide1706

I did on the last page. Speed, rates/ratios (current topics), algebra and some two-digit multiplication/division.

19. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
  20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Do things the long division way for both two-digit multiplication and long division, show how you're adding/subtracting from the total with each digit with each step. If basic multiplication and division aren't a strong skill, practice them as well using multiplication grids.

For speeds, rates and ratios, show them visually through not only numerical, but free-body representations and cartesian plots, so you can get across the real-world implications of the idea.

For algebra, stress the idea of balance, of the equal sign as sort of a fulcrum on a see-saw, and what happens to one side of the equation must also happen to the other. Use logic puzzles to help get across the idea of "X" as a variable placeholder for an actual, but unknown, number.